What Software & Programs Do You Use?

Hello Diana

i find this discussion on musescore

someone talk about cappella scann that work for him https://capellasoftware.com/how-to-use-capella-scan/ no personnal experience , only bad with all the software i have tried before, but never have tried this one.

Pierre

Iā€™ve just tried the demo version with full functionality. Itā€™s actually pretty good! Not perfect, but does recognize the notes and values.

I use logic pro X which is a DAW (digital audio worksation) which can play which can be used to play midi files and help transcribe tunes as a near infinite number of other things regarding music making (especially electronic music.

In terms of transcribing I was wondering if there was any benefit of getting the transcribe software, is there anything it does I cant do on logic? I can loop sections, slow down the audio and visually analyse the frequencies.

Hi Kester,

Iā€™d recommend checking out the Amazing Slow Downer App which I use for all my transcription, you can find more information on it here:

It sounds like it has some similar functionality to Logic Pro (slow down controls, loop specific sections) and one of my favourite aspects of the Amazing Slow Downer software is how easily it integrates with my Spotify playlists which are pulled directly into the mobile app.

Itā€™s also nice how portable it is being an iPhone/Android app; I just hook my iPhone up to a bluetooth speaker and Iā€™m ready to go!

Whilst it can be helpful to visually analyse the frequencies of a song, if we can train ourselves to transcribe music purely by ear we get more benefit from the exercise as well as developing our listening skills.

Ultimately we all learn in different ways so there is no right or wrong way to go about this, but I hope you find the comments above helpful. :+1:

Sounds great! Connecting to spotify will be very useful. Will check it out, thanks !

1 Like

Hi Hayden

Interesting - I just came across thisā€¦

WIDI Master is your virtual MIDI cable. The new wireless standard. Bluetooth MIDI as approved by the MIDI association. Now you can connect all your MIDI devices - without computers - without cables - with MIDI over Bluetooth!

For a wireless midi adapterā€¦have you heard anything about this?

Do you need specific software on the laptop to use and any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

FWIW: Iā€™m not sure how this new product works, but I have a couple of CME Xkey Keyboards along with their add-on earlier wireless connector. (Maybe a precursor to this.) Iā€™ve never been able to get the Bluetooth to connect. I can only use the keyboards cabled directly to the computer. Maybe this iteration is new and improved.

Hi Scott

I emailed them to ask a bit more about it and hereā€™s their reply

For connecting Windows 10, it is a bit complicated. You will need to check a virtual midi port software such as Midiberry and Loopmidi. Because in Windows, most of music software did not implement the latest UWP API from Microsoft which include class compliant Bluetooth MIDI driver. So far from what we knew, only Cakewalk implement UWP. But for connectin iOS or macOS, it is very easy and smooth. Please check this blog for more information:

Regarding the shipment, The WIDI Master is still in pre-order phase. It is our first crowd created project, we are developing it by following our community requirements in parallel. And that is why we could offer the special discount in this phase. As we mentioned in our pre-order page, we planned to ship it around the end of May if everything goes well. Here is our latest blog update about the pre-order: https://www.cme-pro.com/music-is-about-listening-we-do-that/

Thanks Paul for the info. Thing is, they claimed that all was okay on a Mac. Iā€™m on an iMac Pro and a MacBook Pro that are less the two years old and maxed out on RAM and storage. Never could connect via Bluetooth on either.

This looks great Paul - and no I havenā€™t heard of wireless MIDI technology before.

For the purpose of recording lessons for PianoGroove, if the bluetooth signal dropped or disconnected during recording, that would be a pain. I think a cable is a more ā€˜safe betā€™ but Iā€™m no pro with bluetooth technology so perhaps there are things to prevent loss of signal/connection.

Iā€™m sure for shorter recording applications, ie recording little samples of chords or melodies, i think this would be a very handy piece of kit. I think itā€™s fair to say we all hate cables! :grin:

Iā€™ll check it out in more detail and thank for sharing. Cheers.

Hi Mark. Just saw this software and was wondering how if fares with other midi software to use when listening and transcribing. For instance reviewing Hayden lessons, etc.

Can u connect to a keyboard via midi as well or only accessing midi files that are downloaded?

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul :wave:

Hope youā€™re keeping well!

We use Midiculous to create all the lessons on the PianoGroove, so I can explain a little about how it works:

Yes we can do both.

If our piano/keyboard is connected to our laptop/computer via MIDI, then whatever we play on the piano will play in Midiculous with the light up keys and sustain pedal.

As you can see in Markā€™s screenshot, it also shows the chord names. These are usually very accurate shows the exact alterations and extensions.

We can also play any MIDI file in Midiculous to display the performance on the light-up keyboard interface. Any of the MIDI files for PianoGroove lessons can be played through the Midiculous software which can be handy to analyse chord structures and the nomenclature if desired.

I would say this isnā€™t the best software for listening and transcription.

The goal with listening/transcription is to use our ears to figure out the notes and rhythms.

Of course with the light up visual in Midiculous, it shows the exact notes which in some ways defeats the point of the exercise of transcribing something by ear.

My favourite program for transcription is ā€œThe Amazing Slow Downerā€, see more here:

Cheers!
Hayden

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Video Playback Issues

I donā€™t have an electronic keyboard. I have a Yamaha 5ā€™7" grand. I have Band-in-a-box running on my iMac Pro. Itā€™s connected to my stereo speakers with aFocusrite Scarlett 2 system. Through the BIAB forums there are thousands of backing tapes available free, many of which are digitally-produced from real instruments and real professional jazz musicians, so the quality is far better than regular midi.
The learning curve for BIAB is steep. Itā€™s one of those programs that was developed decades ago and features have been added like the extensions on an ancient farmhouse. The result is an interface that is definitely not intuitive or user-friendly but if you can work your way through it the results are very satisfying. And itā€™s a lot more expensive than IReal pro.
Right now Iā€™m working on Miles Davisā€™s ā€œSo Whatā€ as part of my struggle to understand quartal chords and the excellent lessons by yourself and Tuomo. With the backing track going it is starting to sound quite cool.
The one thing that Iā€™ve noticed about backing tracks is that itā€™s quite easy to get lazy with your playing, relying on the other members of the ā€œbandā€ to fill in when youā€™re not paying attention!
Aye,
George

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: iRealPro Backing Tracks Setup

Just received my WIDI Master Bluetooth adaptor by CME and fantastic and so easy to useā€¦latency 3ms

1 Like

Thanks for that Paul. I got all their PR emails, but had my doubts (as I mentioned before). Glad to hear that it works well for you! May have to reconsider.

Hi Scott. Let me know if u have any questions

BTW. I used piano diary iOS app to record using the iPad. Any suggestions for software to use with midi keyboard so I can record and share songs?

Cheers

Paul

2 posts were split to a new topic: Recording in Garage Band

Does anyone use Band-in-a-Box and RealBand to create backing tracks? I think it would offer more flexibility and options than I Real Pro. But itā€™s pricier, certainly would take longer to learn, and wonā€™t run on a smart phone or tablet. I find myself tempted, although the range of options (and prices) is truly bewildering.