What Software & Programs Do You Use?

Awesome, thanks Mark…

I’ve had multiple students ask about the Windows compatibility of iRealPro so this should be very useful… I will reference this thread in the next mail out.

Earlier I posted in the Walking Bass Thread that I’ve just added a new lesson where I demo the iRealPro software in the context of Autumn Leaves walking bass.

Check out the lesson here: https://www.pianogroove.com/jazz-piano-lessons/autumn-leaves-bass-line-2/

In particular, we change the iRealPro metronome to ‘click on 2 & 4’… try it yourself… with practice, you will find your swing feel improves dramatically for any medium to up tempo tunes.

You need to turn off the acoustic bass if you are practicing walking bass lines… because your left hand is the bass player :smile:

But obviously, if you are just practicing rootless voicings over a jazz standard (think Bill Evans Trio) then you do want the acoustic bass in there… I can amend these settings in ‘Mixer’ on my MacBook version… I imagine there will be a similar setting on windows.

We will be further utilising iRealPro for the upcoming ‘12 Bar Blues Tutorial’ section of the website. It is in my opinion, an invaluable tool for any students wanting to improve their time, feel and rhythm. It also simulates a jam environment which is a great confidence builder.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on this Mark… much appreciated.

More Information on iRealPro

We’ve mentioned a lot about the iRealPro app in this thread. It’s essential for our study of the blues and invaluable for practicing medium to up-tempo tunes.

I’ve received another question from one of our students and thought it would be nice to post it here:

If you have an iPad/Macbook/iPhone, you can go directly to the App Store and search for “iRealPro”.

There is both desktop version (for laptop/computer) and mobile version (for iPad/Tablets/iPhone).

It’s a one-time time $12 fee to download the software.

Here is their main website where you can find more information: https://irealpro.com/

For Windows and Android Tablets/Phones, you can download the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.massimobiolcati.irealb&hl=en

For Apple Users (Mac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone), you can download the app here: ‎iReal Pro on the App Store

The next step is to download the songs. This is free…

If you are using the laptop desktop version, you can simply navigate here and click the ‘1300 jazz standards’ link: Jazz 1350 Standards

This will download the tunes directly into your iRealPro app.

If you are using iPad/Tablet - you need to click on the globe icon, which will take you to the forum, then click into ‘Jazz’ and you will find the jazz standard download.

Click on the blue link and all of the songs will automatically be imported :slight_smile:

(If you are using the iPhone/iPad version… you must click on the globe icon to access the forum… see below)

You can also find practice exercises…. click on the Globe Icon in the app, and it will take you to the forum, you can then go into ‘Jazz’ and find lots of downloads.

I show you how to do it in this lesson: Practicing Rootless 251s with iRealPro | PianoGroove.com

Hello all, I just found this area when looking for the transcription thread.
i am rather illiterate with computer complexities…(it’s generational}
for so long I was searching for ariel pro…ha ha…
still do not have it connected to my Imac…
I had success with loading Transcribe App and have now spent hours searching for a site that may not exist… youtube-mp3.org. and then too many options, ads, confusion.warnings etc…
Thank you for the info here, i need help setting things up, i mean i am not even sure what an MP3 is anyway or a midi file.
i have to study. or find a teenager to help…
I know many say. oh it’s easy, just … and it does become easy when you know the tricks.
any advice appreciated
And then I highlight songs and somehow get them into transcribe??? Amazing

PS. I real pro up and working…well,app downloaded, now to take a breath and connect it…my bad for not perservering earlier,

Hi Cheryl :wave:

Please ignore the instruction to use youtube-mp3 … I need to update that lesson.

With the Transcribe Program, you can pull in any .mp3 or .wav file.

So for example, if you have songs in your iTunes, just drag them into Transcribe and they will open up.

You can then slow down the recording, loop it, and use the other features such as “note guesses” and “chord guesses”.

Does this help?

That’s great you have it working Cheryl… it’s a really useful tool for practicing trio and ensemble performance.

Remember to download the 1300 jazz standards from the iRealPro Forum. You can find the link above.

Any problems with the set up, just let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Haydn;,

I use

• Piano Companion (a chord and scale dictionary with user libraries)

• iGigBook (managing PDF)

• Notion (notation software, IPad and Mac)

Regards,

Thomas

That’s awesome Thomas… thanks for sharing these.

The Piano Companion App looks like a very useful point of reference… I’ll check it out further :slight_smile:

I use Anytune Pro + as an audio transcriber assistant - this is only available for Mac/iOS, though a Windows version is meant to be in the works. It has great functionality for slowing down and looping audio parts like many of the others mentioned here, but you can also isolate parts by frequency (takes a bit of practice, mind) which I use when learning pieces by ear - you can also transpose.

It integrates well with iTunes playlists, handy. It’s quite good value for money and simple to use too. Granted, it is a little bit fiddlier to use on iPhone due to smaller size, but I recommend it overall. Here’s a link - https://anytune.us/

This looks great… thanks James.

I’ve always used Transcribe by 7th String but i’ll check this one out later today.

I’ve been meaning to write an in-depth post on Transcribe for this Software section of the forum.

Similar to this one on the iRealPro: iRealPro Backing Tracks Setup

I will get around to the Transcribe “starter guide” shortly.

Thanks Hayden! I got irealpro when I started having vocal coaching last year, but haven’t really used it so far except to figure out how my favourites in there tick. I’m probably really limiting its functionality! Thanks for the signposts in the link above that actually use it. I had ideas about hooking up a Midi keyboard to my ipad and using this but it never quite happened…:roll_eyes:

I have a Bose Soundlink which I use for the iRealPro.

bose

The Soundlink is bluetooth powered, so no tripping over cables :grin: and it really packs a punch bass-wise considering the size which makes the audio quality perfect for use with the iRealPro bass/drums backing tracks.

It’s also very portable and has awesome battery life - easily a few hours of play time from fully charged.

I’d highly recommend it.

1 Like

Yes, I have one - they are amazing bang for the amount of buck. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Hayden. Im new to your pro program,which I just joined. I listened to the 12 bar jazz lesson. You opened up a background drumd and bass program. Where is that? Is that part of your lesson? How do I access that?
Thanks

Hi Andrew :wave:

Welcome to PianoGroove!

Yes that software is the iRealPro App.

I have created this in-depth thread on how to download and install it: iRealPro Backing Tracks Setup

It’s a fantastic piece of software and I use it on a near-daily basis.

I have included information on how to download, how to install the Jazz Backing Tracks Pack, and also how to configure the app.

If you have any further questions you can reply directly in the thread and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Cheers.

Hello Hayden: I finally decided that I “grew up” sufficiently to try iRealPro. By that I mean that I have followed many pieces of advice you gave to all of us (the one I benefited from the most is to really get to know the chords of a tune, their relationship to the melody, the key signature, etc.) and got and used the iRealPro with Blue in Green. What a fine experience it was to be able to play the tune and even generate a simplistic interpretation with the help of the iRealPro program. Now I am going to go back to all the standards I have learned well enough to play them with IRealPro. I am truly excited about this.
Best, Ivan

2 Likes

Hi Ivan,

That’s great news!

It is a fantastic piece of software and emulates playing with a jazz band beautifully.

That’s exactly it.

iRealPro is useful for moving away from the lead sheet.

By all means, use the lead sheets as a supplement to learn the tune. Once you have a good understanding you should play along with iReal and ditch the lead sheet.

You might need to occasionally glance over at the screen to see what chord you are on, but with time and practice, you will be able to ‘feel’ where you are in the form.

That sounds like a brilliant idea.

Some will work better than others. Any medium/up tempo tunes are well suited.

If you have any questions along the way, be sure to let me know.

Bose was the first to have this great bass sound in a little box (my daughter got one) but they are quite expensive
i find this one and really it does the same job ( even better more presence, but thats really subjective) i think and much more robust and battery fine too.

(feel free hayden to cancel this post if you thinks ist too much comercial pointed )

https://www.amazon.fr/VICTSING-VBS008B-VES-VicTsing-Haut-parleur-Bluetooth/dp/B01FVY94O2/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3N0WJF2DPYAII&dchild=1&keywords=punker+enceinte&qid=1616930035&sprefix=punker+%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-4

1 Like

Brilliant… thanks for sharing Pierre.

This is not at all too commercially pointed. This is exactly what the forum is for… to share useful advice and guidance that will ultimately benefit our jazz piano learning journey.

This is a great piece of advice to find a more cost-effective option for portable Bluetooth speakers - particularly as you have used/experiences both the Bose and the VTIN.

I completely agree that the Bose SoundLink is expensive, but I do love it. For the size it is, and the sound it packs, it’s a wonderful portable speaker. I have never found anything it’s size which can match it… until now! :grin:

At €29.99 Euros, the VTIN is a fantastic deal!

It also looks a little more robust in its outer casing.

At that price I will definitely order one to check it out.

I do occasionally have issues with the Bose where it ‘stutters’ due to the Bluetooth signal. The ‘hard reset’ helps where you hold down the centre button for around 10 seconds, and then all the lights flash… this usually corrects the issue.

I see you shared a .fr weblink Pierre… where in France are you from?

I’m digressing from this thread topic (which is actually against our forum guidelines :grinning:) but i’m genuinly intersted… I love France… brilliant country and culture and the birthplace of many of my favourite classical musicians.

Cheers!

1 Like