What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Yes definitely a standard! I’ve heard this tune called fairly frequently at jam nights.

Love the piano solo in this version too.

1 Like

I’ve been working through all of Miles’ albums that feature Wynton Kelly on piano.

Here’s a fantastic record to listen and transcribe from… “Pfrancing” which is a Blues in F:

so much great material to listen to and absorb… not just from the piano but also the horn players can teach you so much about phrasing.

A really nice record.

Full album here:

1 Like

Tommy Flanagan - In A Sentimental Mood

A beautiful performance by The Tommy Flanagan Trio

1 Like

Another great recording of Sentimental Mood…

Check out the tutorials on PianoGroove:

Part 1: In A Sentimental Mood Piano Chords - Part 1 | PianoGroove.com

Part 2: https://www.pianogroove.com/jazz-piano-lessons/sentimental-mood-tutorial-part-2/

1 Like

Quite a few versions of this Chick Corea tune (including the fairly psychedelic original from him and Return to Forever) but this one is awesome:

1 Like

We will be covering this tune… it’s been requested in the upcoming standards thread.

Tuomo suggested covering it, but for his upcoming 5 standard lessons, he choose tunes higher up the vote table… we will get around to this tune shortly though.

1 Like

Awesome - look forward to it! :smiley:

1 Like

Great Hayden, thanks -looking forward to it! :smiley: :+1:

Wynton Kelly - Autumn Leaves

Wynton’s take on this jazz classic.

I’m currently studying his comping under the bass solo at 3:50 - great stuff!

Tommy Flanagan - In A Sentimental Mood

Love this tune… beautifully played by the maestro.

Enjoy! And check out our lesson on this tune if you’re feeling inspired. That reminds me I still need to transcribe the arrangement for this tune.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2oZzb-OWinU

(when Hiromi just have some fun)

1 Like

The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album is a 1975 studio album by singer Tony Bennett, accompanied by Bill Evans. :smile:
Enjoy!

2 Likes

Wow… brilliant performance Marc.

I love the interplay between the bass and the piano.

Lovely album Yves… I always enjoy listening to Bill Evans accompanying vocalists.

He has such a soft and subtle touch… always the perfect amount of harmonic support.

This is completely unrelated, but you may find it interesting, Bill Evans accompanying himself to the tune “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town”:

I love the dissonant voicings he plays.

Cheers!

1 Like

I love this version (though it’s a tribute to A Night In Tunisia really) - I gave a vote to covering this in lessons in the future. I love Herbie Hancock’s solo here and of course the vocals by the irrepressible Ms Chaka Khan:

1 Like

Awesome thanks James… nice recording.

I will speak with our team of teachers and figure out who is best to create a tutorial and arrangement.

Cheers!
Hayden

1 Like

wow lovely groove )) thanks for all your sharing James …
discovering funk jazz recently even my 50th years ) really so fun to play … and on bass too ) … coooollll :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

love the mix of electric and acoustic piano …

lets share some of my favourites
love this album Bex Emmanuel B2Bill …

1 Like

Fred Hersch and his melodic and counterpoint mastering… those 2 are my favourite … fresh and deep music … and his touch of piano …

i have the chance to meet him in a music workshop in south of France , very kind and humble person… and so insight music … impressive

2 Likes

this young bassist with lovely arrangement
more on the funk side but with some jazzy touch

and this old one

…this may inspire you james

2 Likes