Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Thank you very much and I was trying to reply to you but I pressed the wrong button

Hi Dr Dean,

I was meaning to write some feedback on your performance and I thought Iā€™d wait to have a piano in front of me so I could demonstrate for you.

Exactly as you say, the melody is very important and we must ensure that it shines through our chords and harmony.

One thing I like to do when playing this tune is alter the dynamics between each section. I like to start quietly with simple chords, and then add more emphasis and ornamentation to the melody as the tune develops.

Hereā€™s a little recording I made for you. I hope you find it helpful:

ps. the piano is a little out of tuneā€¦ itā€™s my old childhood piano which is rarely played/tuned. I look forward to having my own grand piano like yours one day :grinning: Cheers!

Also, hereā€™s the course on upper structure triads - I think your playing will sound even better once you apply this theory - itā€™s fun stuff to play around with:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your advice. I will study the upper structure triads. Start with simple chords softly and enhance the melody. Control the volume increasing as the piece progresses and add more complex chords as needed. I like the upper structure triad runs and fills that set the mood. Just received hearing aids and now hear the upper 3 octaves of the piano. They seem loud to me but on the video they were soft. My hearing should accommodate to this in the next few weeks.
Thanks again for your advice
Dr. Dean

1 Like

My pleasure Dr Dean.

When starting on a new tune, I try to find as many versions as possible on Spotify/YouTube and just listen to them for a week or so before playing the tune.

This is a great way to find inspiration for melodic embellishments, different ways to phrase the melody, fills, runs, and other ornamentation. The fun part is then incorporating all of this into our own arrangements.

Definitely check out the upper structure triad course and I think you will enjoy adding those sounds to your arrangements. Looking forward to hearing more of your playing!

1 Like

Hello Dr Dean

good job all this nice flow of posting video ! bravo :cowboy_hat_face:

:bomb: Not sure it is a good idea to post videos of your playing on another post than the one already existing Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Or maybe you are looking for a post where all your own videos could be together, in this case it would be better to mention your name in the title .
I let Hayden choosing the best way of doing it . But i really think we must keep it clearer. The title of the post could be confusing for a new member,

cheers

1 Like

Yep i agree Pierreā€¦ i will merge this post into the existing one.

Cheers,
H

1 Like

I agree but not sure how to do this. Confused on this end. What link do I post to when upload video? Thanks. Dr. Dean. Just returned from week cruse.

Hope you enjoyed your cruise Dr Dean!

Basically, there were 2 threads with a similar title ā€œshare your recordingsā€ and so it made sense to combine them to keep things organised.

Iā€™ve already merged them so now we just have this one thread ā€œShare Your Music, Recordings & Performancesā€ for us to share our videos in.

To upload in future, simply hit the gold ā€œReplyā€ button at the bottom this thread, instead of creating a new one, and this will keep all of our shared videos in one place.

Iā€™m working on an arrangement of ā€œUnforgettableā€ and I think that will be my next performance to share :slightly_smiling_face: Cheers.

1 Like

I love Unforgettable!!! Are you also going to do a lesson on it? I hope so!

But of course you are!!! I see that it is was rated second in our voting category for ballads!!!:grin:

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s right, Iā€™m working through our ballad voting list - next up ā€œUnforgettableā€.

Iā€™ll be making 2 tutorials, one beginner level, and also a more advanced one.

More to follow. :+1:

2 Likes

I videoed my practicing of my arrangement of Rainbow, (I will be playing it for family as my niece is terminally ill and I promised to play for herā€¦so it is very sad time). Still have lots to work on with it,ā€¦but I figured since we were on the subject of this song, I would share the work in progress.

https://vimeo.com/333469060

10 Likes

Lori, your arrangement is very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Wow very nice you Lori keep up the good work, you also gave me a lot of motivation to start learning the tune as well :grinning:

1 Like

Lori,

That was absolutely beautiful!!! I love what you did with the song. Your niece is going to love it.

2 Likes

Beautiful arrangement. So pleasant to listen

Dr Dean

Impressive @LoriNelson !!!
I dont know if it is your new haircut :wink: but your a completely new person at the piano :star_struck: ā€¦ beautiful playing with this flaw for the timing that fit perfect this tune it sound really professionnal ā€¦ bravo !!! Wonderful

best perfomance of the month +1

ps i will talk to my hairdresser next time , if she could do the same for me ā€¦ but only if she garantees me the same effect on my piano playing !

1 Like

Very beautiful Lori
Dr. Dean

Wow Lori, what a lovely arrangement!

1 Like

Love it to bits! That was an impressive arrangement.