Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

That was sweet to my ears. Great job!

Hi, piano groovers,

Blue in Green is one of the tunes Iā€™ve been practicing since I started learning Jazz piano four years ago. Itā€™s a beautiful tune, and I always wanted to improvise it. Hereā€™s my performance recorded on 10/28/2019.

p/s I like you to listen to this recording with headphones ; sound quality of the woodbass is far better with headphones. Thank you.

I play 3 rounds of 10-bar-long Blue in Green, which starting with pick-up notes, and then, a Coda. The Coda is 34-bar long, but has only two chords. Dm9 and Gm9 throughout.

6 Likes

I love the melodic ideas you had, the improv is beautiful , thoughtful.
Deserving of being played with a live real bass and drums.

What a lovely rendition of ā€œBlue In Greenā€ Toshihiroā€¦ thank you for sharing. This is one of my favourite tunes to play also.

Your improvisation over the Dm9 to Gm9 vamp is awesomeā€¦ very relaxing to listen to.

Nice job! :clap:

1 Like

That was beautiful and moving! Thank you so much for sharing!

Wow very inspiring !
Very smooth.

Thank you for sharing

Bravo @toshihiro859997 ā€¦ challenging this 2 chords improvisation ā€¦ nice and smooth . . :+1:

Hi, Lori

I am glad you like it. I was trying to structure the entire improvisation
by repeating motifs. Repetetion ; a good thing to do in a solo !

I like your Blue in Green solo. The one you performed in your Rootless Voicing lesson video. That solo is so beautiful I copied it and play it myself once and while. I incorporated a phrase from that solo into mine this time. As you may already have spotted it, the phrase over Db7 to Cm7 to F7(b9) in the third round.

Pierre

Thank you for your comment. The 2-chord improvisation is challenging but fun. Since Blue in Green is in the key of D minor, Dm7 and Gm7 are picked. They are Tonic and Sub-dominant, as you may already know it.

1 Like

Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Lovey rendition of what is a great classic. Well done and thanks for sharing :grinning:

Ok fellow Pianogrooversā€¦ this is really rough draft but you are the perfect companions to share this experience with.
So background storyā€¦, my boyfriend is a pro bass player, and as he is often on tour or booked at far away gigs, we have a long distance relationship much of the timeā€¦ a fun thing we do is he assigned me a tune that was new to meā€¦ Falling Graceā€¦ so three days ago I heard it for the first time (and I heard Hayden in my head saying ā€œlisten to many versions of it,ā€. so I did, and learned the melody). and then I started picking out some really simple chord voicings ( only 2 to 3 notes). So my man recorded a little bass line for me to play over while learning it. This was really fun. So I am sharing with you the little accomplishment so far (by the way I could NEVER have done this before my PianoGroove years). This is Kirk Kuykendall on bass on my iPad, backing me up. Once I master this melody, he will expect a little solo improv project nextā€¦ I got a ways to go before that happens :joy:
Maybe we can talk Tuomo into making a lesson on this song. :grin: itā€™s a lovely melody
https://vimeo.com/381745307

2 Likes

Lori,
Youā€™ve done a fine job with this tune, especially considering that youā€™ve only been at it a few days. And youā€™ve come up with a brilliant replacement for iReal Proā€“A Real Pro. (Sorry, couldnā€™t resist. :joy:). Please share your progress. It would be interesting to see what you do with it. Iā€™ll have to check out the tune on YouTube. Iā€™m not familiar with it.

Brief addition: Just checked out the tune, and it was interesting to find out that itā€™s by Steve Swallow, a bassist that Iā€™ve been listening to for the last year. Heā€™s amazing, and still going strong after 60 years of playing.

Sounding great Lori!

I will get those rootless voicings over to you asap. I did make a start but I was distracted.

I will post a notation doc into this thread when done. Cheers!

Hi Hayden

Iā€™d love to see a rendition of ā€œItā€™s only a paper moonā€ as Iā€™m trying to locate the sheet music for this as Iā€™m sure it would be a great lesson for you to consider in the future as well.

Cheers!

Here is a lead sheet

http://www.zisman.ca/squeezebox/Music/It's%20Only%20a%20Paper%20Moon%20(simpler%20changes,%2024oct13).pdf

1 Like

Thanks Lori - much appreciated :grinning:

Lori,
I donā€™t know if you came across this version of ā€œFalling Grace.ā€ Itā€™s a duo with Thomas Clausen on piano and Steve Swallow, of course, on bass.