Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Hi Pierre,

Awesome performance! A very nice progression and improvisation. :ok_hand:

I couldnā€™t hear with the embedded audio player, but I can hear it if I go to this link.

There is a file size limit for uploads to the forum. I think because your recording is 7 minutes, it is too big. I will speak to our developer to increase the file size that we can upload.

Yes great idea. I agree we should make the ā€œshare your performancesā€ section bigger and more accessible from the forum homepage.

We are adding some new sections shortly and so that will be a good time to do this.

Leave it with me :+1:

Listened at the link and really enjoyed the music. Very nice!11
Dr. Dean

Wow real nice I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing Pierre :star::star::star:

1 Like

That was lovely Pierre. Nice to listen to while having a cup of coffee! Thanks for the link Hayden.

thanks all for the nice comments ā€¦

next goal with this song will be to have more variety in the phrasing and create more melody maybe begining the phrases at different places too

great exercice because we need to change things more, to avoid to be boring ,the chords change very short and only 4 chords

1 Like

Hi Pierre,

Sometimes keeping something minimalistic makes it magical :slight_smile:
There are plenty of songs with 4 chords which sound amazing, but of course everything can be developed and evolve into something more mysterious and magical - Great work :star::star:

1 Like

Itā€™s wonderful to see others playing and performing. Such a feeling of accomplishment when arranging a score from intro to voicing and ending. It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s not perfect. Itā€™s the journey of music education and joy of learning thatā€™s important. I was so nervous when videoing I could hardly play. I have such performance anxiety but this is helping me overcome this. I will video ā€˜Over The Rainbowā€ in the near future as I have now completed my arrangement. I am learning so much here at pianogroove. I am just a beginner here with a goal of learning and playing each piece from into to ending with the skills learned as I advance in my music education. I hope the videoā€™s will help me see my improvements in this journey and inspire me to work even harder towards my goals. I welcome any advice on how to improve and advance my performance skills.

Thanks,
Dr. Dean

3 Likes

Hi Dr Dean :wave:

I agree itā€™s wonderful to see others playing and Iā€™ll be sharing more of my performances in the coming weeks.

As you say it doesnā€™t need to be perfect, thatā€™s one of the things I like about playing jazz; thereā€™s a lot of freedom in the music. I can also relate to the performance anxiety! But I do find that the more I play for others, the easier this becomes.

Iā€™ll always give my feedback and advice on any performances shared in the forum so keep them coming!

New practice inspiration initiatives coming shortlyā€¦

Iā€™m currently in NYC working with Lyndol and Tuomo on some new initiatives for the Practice Inspiration section of our forum. Itā€™s all coming together very nicely and Iā€™m excited to unveil what we have been working on.

There will be 2 new sections - aiming to launch this week.

The first is a Vocal Accompaniment Section. We have created vocal play-a-long tracks where we can practice our accompaniment skills using a backing track with Lyndolā€™s vocals. There is also space in the tracks when we can take a solo for 16 or 32 bars.

The second is an Improvisation Exercise Section. We can all take part in these weekly improvisation exercises set by Tuomo. The aim is to improve our listening/transcription skills and each week give students new pieces of jazz vocabulary that we can use in our own playing and arrangements.

These 2 new sections will add a new dimension to our Practice Inspiration Area and give us more things to share and collaborate on. More to be announced shortly.

Cheers!
Hayden

1 Like

Isnā€™t it silly? I am alone in the house with three cats, I have the ability to DELETE the video if I donā€™t like itā€¦ but sure enough, there is performance anxiety. Once I submitted one video (with all its little mistakes) I felt better about it. And this PianoGroove community is so supportive. Just go for it and realize we each have some uniqueness in our style, and we are all in the learning curve on this journey. Play and have fun.

3 Likes

Over the Rainbow. First take. Less performance anxiety the more I /video.
https://youtu.be/AZf0SHfqehA

4 Likes

Bravo Dr. Dean! Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I will aspire to play as well as you.

1 Like

Very nice Doctor D. Always a pleasure to hear your performance.

1 Like

Dr Dean,

That was lovely and so inspiring. Please keep posting your arengements and one day others will follow. Iā€™m not brave enough but one day I will follow your example.

1 Like

Thanks. After listening to this several times. I realized I need to enhance the melody as the cords seem to be overpowering this. I think I should also memorize this so I could play it in a more fluent relaxed emotional manner. When you video a performance and then listen to it several times you realize how you can change your playing to improve the listening experience and improve your piano skills. Iā€™m waiting for a beautiful arrangement of something like ā€œIn the garden ā€œwith extended cord voicings. It was my favorite hymn and I know you can do it.
Dr. Dean

1 Like

Thank you very much and I was trying to reply to you but I pressed the wrong button

Hi Dr Dean,

I was meaning to write some feedback on your performance and I thought Iā€™d wait to have a piano in front of me so I could demonstrate for you.

Exactly as you say, the melody is very important and we must ensure that it shines through our chords and harmony.

One thing I like to do when playing this tune is alter the dynamics between each section. I like to start quietly with simple chords, and then add more emphasis and ornamentation to the melody as the tune develops.

Hereā€™s a little recording I made for you. I hope you find it helpful:

ps. the piano is a little out of tuneā€¦ itā€™s my old childhood piano which is rarely played/tuned. I look forward to having my own grand piano like yours one day :grinning: Cheers!

Also, hereā€™s the course on upper structure triads - I think your playing will sound even better once you apply this theory - itā€™s fun stuff to play around with:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your advice. I will study the upper structure triads. Start with simple chords softly and enhance the melody. Control the volume increasing as the piece progresses and add more complex chords as needed. I like the upper structure triad runs and fills that set the mood. Just received hearing aids and now hear the upper 3 octaves of the piano. They seem loud to me but on the video they were soft. My hearing should accommodate to this in the next few weeks.
Thanks again for your advice
Dr. Dean

1 Like

My pleasure Dr Dean.

When starting on a new tune, I try to find as many versions as possible on Spotify/YouTube and just listen to them for a week or so before playing the tune.

This is a great way to find inspiration for melodic embellishments, different ways to phrase the melody, fills, runs, and other ornamentation. The fun part is then incorporating all of this into our own arrangements.

Definitely check out the upper structure triad course and I think you will enjoy adding those sounds to your arrangements. Looking forward to hearing more of your playing!

1 Like

Hello Dr Dean

good job all this nice flow of posting video ! bravo :cowboy_hat_face:

:bomb: Not sure it is a good idea to post videos of your playing on another post than the one already existing Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Or maybe you are looking for a post where all your own videos could be together, in this case it would be better to mention your name in the title .
I let Hayden choosing the best way of doing it . But i really think we must keep it clearer. The title of the post could be confusing for a new member,

cheers

1 Like

Yep i agree Pierreā€¦ i will merge this post into the existing one.

Cheers,
H

1 Like