Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Great job! I love how you brought it up to the higher register. I wish my hand could do those octaves!

1 Like

Nice Job bravo Dr Dean

if i can suggest maybe changing the part a bit more melody at beginning and end is enough particulary for long ballad ā€¦ even this melody is lovely ā€¦ i admit :slight_smile:

you seems to master this long arpegios nicely , very interesting in such context . I never done them , will take a look

1 Like

Iā€™am having difficulty hearing the chord voicings. Deaphness is genetic in my family. Iā€™ve realized that Itā€™s difficult to distinguish volume in my playing. Therefore playing with emotion has deteriorated completely. Just had hearing test and only hear 48% on left and 78% on right. Unable to hear many frequencies of music. Rechearched new digital hearing technology and discovered hearing device (aids) with programming for music. I tried a pair and could hear everything! I should receive them in 2 weeks. This should help me to play with emotion and dynamics again which in the past was a strong point for me. Tenderly recording must have sounded very mechanical without emotion. I canā€™t wait to hear it with my new hearing aids. My wife told me that I could not hear my music. I should have listened to her.
Dr. Dean

There was nothing mechanical about it. Just keep playing and enjoying it. Your style is you., and that gives it a feel. Every time we play there are a variety of challenges which affect how we express it. I Hope the hearing aids open your world both in conversation, in music, and out in nature.

3 Likes

I think your performance is fantastic Dr Dean - the very opposite of ā€œmechanicalā€.

You use lots of the different registers of the piano, you fill in the space very tastefully, and ultimately, you put your own spin on it which is what jazz is all about.

Iā€™m a big fan of your arrangement :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Waiting the groovy funky teacher ā€¦
i play around a progression i found on internet ā€¦really joyful :sunglasses::cowboy_hat_face: ah this neosoulish vibe :yum: . Sorry it is a first attempt . It needed to be more structured and cleaner maybe it will be with a next one with the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ely8msgbprp6j6/pianopig%20song%2031032019.mp3?dl=0

ps where is the section " share your performance" seems not visible in the first page of the forum . Maybe it will be a good idea to create a specific section or a subchapter in the big chapter ā€œPRACTICE INSPIRATIONā€ as ā€œpdf practice planā€ is displayed

2 Likes

Hi Pierre,

Awesome performance! A very nice progression and improvisation. :ok_hand:

I couldnā€™t hear with the embedded audio player, but I can hear it if I go to this link.

There is a file size limit for uploads to the forum. I think because your recording is 7 minutes, it is too big. I will speak to our developer to increase the file size that we can upload.

Yes great idea. I agree we should make the ā€œshare your performancesā€ section bigger and more accessible from the forum homepage.

We are adding some new sections shortly and so that will be a good time to do this.

Leave it with me :+1:

Listened at the link and really enjoyed the music. Very nice!11
Dr. Dean

Wow real nice I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing Pierre :star::star::star:

1 Like

That was lovely Pierre. Nice to listen to while having a cup of coffee! Thanks for the link Hayden.

thanks all for the nice comments ā€¦

next goal with this song will be to have more variety in the phrasing and create more melody maybe begining the phrases at different places too

great exercice because we need to change things more, to avoid to be boring ,the chords change very short and only 4 chords

1 Like

Hi Pierre,

Sometimes keeping something minimalistic makes it magical :slight_smile:
There are plenty of songs with 4 chords which sound amazing, but of course everything can be developed and evolve into something more mysterious and magical - Great work :star::star:

1 Like

Itā€™s wonderful to see others playing and performing. Such a feeling of accomplishment when arranging a score from intro to voicing and ending. It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s not perfect. Itā€™s the journey of music education and joy of learning thatā€™s important. I was so nervous when videoing I could hardly play. I have such performance anxiety but this is helping me overcome this. I will video ā€˜Over The Rainbowā€ in the near future as I have now completed my arrangement. I am learning so much here at pianogroove. I am just a beginner here with a goal of learning and playing each piece from into to ending with the skills learned as I advance in my music education. I hope the videoā€™s will help me see my improvements in this journey and inspire me to work even harder towards my goals. I welcome any advice on how to improve and advance my performance skills.

Thanks,
Dr. Dean

3 Likes

Hi Dr Dean :wave:

I agree itā€™s wonderful to see others playing and Iā€™ll be sharing more of my performances in the coming weeks.

As you say it doesnā€™t need to be perfect, thatā€™s one of the things I like about playing jazz; thereā€™s a lot of freedom in the music. I can also relate to the performance anxiety! But I do find that the more I play for others, the easier this becomes.

Iā€™ll always give my feedback and advice on any performances shared in the forum so keep them coming!

New practice inspiration initiatives coming shortlyā€¦

Iā€™m currently in NYC working with Lyndol and Tuomo on some new initiatives for the Practice Inspiration section of our forum. Itā€™s all coming together very nicely and Iā€™m excited to unveil what we have been working on.

There will be 2 new sections - aiming to launch this week.

The first is a Vocal Accompaniment Section. We have created vocal play-a-long tracks where we can practice our accompaniment skills using a backing track with Lyndolā€™s vocals. There is also space in the tracks when we can take a solo for 16 or 32 bars.

The second is an Improvisation Exercise Section. We can all take part in these weekly improvisation exercises set by Tuomo. The aim is to improve our listening/transcription skills and each week give students new pieces of jazz vocabulary that we can use in our own playing and arrangements.

These 2 new sections will add a new dimension to our Practice Inspiration Area and give us more things to share and collaborate on. More to be announced shortly.

Cheers!
Hayden

1 Like

Isnā€™t it silly? I am alone in the house with three cats, I have the ability to DELETE the video if I donā€™t like itā€¦ but sure enough, there is performance anxiety. Once I submitted one video (with all its little mistakes) I felt better about it. And this PianoGroove community is so supportive. Just go for it and realize we each have some uniqueness in our style, and we are all in the learning curve on this journey. Play and have fun.

3 Likes

Over the Rainbow. First take. Less performance anxiety the more I /video.
https://youtu.be/AZf0SHfqehA

4 Likes

Bravo Dr. Dean! Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I will aspire to play as well as you.

1 Like

Very nice Doctor D. Always a pleasure to hear your performance.

1 Like

Dr Dean,

That was lovely and so inspiring. Please keep posting your arengements and one day others will follow. Iā€™m not brave enough but one day I will follow your example.

1 Like

Thanks. After listening to this several times. I realized I need to enhance the melody as the cords seem to be overpowering this. I think I should also memorize this so I could play it in a more fluent relaxed emotional manner. When you video a performance and then listen to it several times you realize how you can change your playing to improve the listening experience and improve your piano skills. Iā€™m waiting for a beautiful arrangement of something like ā€œIn the garden ā€œwith extended cord voicings. It was my favorite hymn and I know you can do it.
Dr. Dean

1 Like