Jazz Standards - Vote Now!

Agnes, Thanks for linking this video on Jobim singing the Waters of March. I have now played it 7 times and can’t stop! ha ha ha… Can’t wait until Hayden adds it. Thanks for requesting. – Lonnie

1 Like

My pleasure Lonnie, I really love the playfulness of that happy song :slight_smile:
Thank you for adding your vote for that tune request :wink:

1 Like

Great song Ariel! Here is Daniela Andrade and Hanbyul Kang performing an incredibly romantic version of Stars Fell on Alabama.

1 Like

Yes we can certainly cover the “Stars Fell On Alabama” Ariel.

Cheers!

Okay I’ve compiled every request in this thread, we have 52 tune requests to complete in 2019.

I’d say I’m familiar with around 1/2 of them so I have some listening to do myself!

As previously mentioned, the voting tables are limited to 20 options maximum, and so we need multiple voting tables. I’ll categorise and publish them shortly.

The tutorials will be created starting with the highest voted. I think that’s the fairest way. Each of us will be able to place multiple votes (maybe 5 votes each per table), and we also change our vote once the tune has been covered which makes it a dynamic voting system :grinning:

Here’s the tune list we’re working with:

• Don’t let me be lonely tonight
  • Unforgettable
  • What A Difference A Day Makes
  • I’ve Got You Under My Skin
  • A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square
  • Sweet Lorraine
  • Smile - Charlie Chaplin
  • The Peacocks
  • Elsa
  • April In Paris
  • Solitude
  • Love Is Here To Stay
  • The Look Of Love
  • I’ve Got You Under My Skin
  • Walk On By
  • You Are There
  • Hearts Desire
  • In The We Small Hours Of The Morning
  • Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
  • I Loves You Porgy
  • Whispering
  • September In The Rain
  • Dolphin Dance
  • Someone To Watch Over Me
  • But Beautiful
  • Yesterdays
  • Lets Face The Music & Dance
  • She - Elvis Costello
  • You Are So Beautiful
  • Lover Man
  • What Is This Thing Called Love
  • Four
  • How High The Moon
  • Tenor Madness
  • Angel Eyes
  • Moonriver
  • A Child Is Born
  • Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
  • Road Song
  • The Stars Fell On Alabama
  • Spain
  • Looking Up
  • Spartacus Love Theme
  • Nardis
  • Invitation
  • Ruby My Dear
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • You’ve Got A Friend In Me
  • Aguas de Março
  • Song For My Father
  • Manha de Carnaval
  • Besame Mucho
1 Like

Okay a few hours of listening and researching and I we have the following lists.

Ballads

1. Don’t let me be lonely tonight
  2. Unforgettable
  3. When Sunny Gets Blue
  4. What A Difference A Day Makes
  5. A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square
  6. The Peacocks
  7. Solitude
  8. In The We Small Hours Of The Morning
  9. September In The Rain
  10. Someone To Watch Over Me
  11. But Beautiful
  12. She - Elvis Costello
  13. Lover Man
  14. Angel Eyes
  15. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
  16. Stars Fell On Alabama
  17. Wish Upon A Star
  18. Ruby My Dear

Medium Swing / Up Tempo

1. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
  2. Sweet Lorraine
  3. Smile - Charlie Chaplin
  4. April In Paris
  5. Love Is Here To Stay
  6. Whispering
  7. Dolphin Dance
  8. Yesterdays
  9. Lets Face The Music & Dance
  10. Four
  11. How High The Moon
  12. Tenor Madness
  13. Nardis

Bossa / Samba / Brazilian / Latin

1. Aguas de Março
  2. Song For My Father
  3. Besame Mucho
  4. The Look Of Love
  5. Road Song
  6. Spain
  7. Looking Up
  8. Aquarela de Brazil
  9. Manha de Carnaval aka Black Orpheus
  10. Bola Sete
  11. Tranquility

I have also combined the remaining requests from this thread on our Brazilian/Latin content.

The following tunes have already been recorded by Jovino and are waiting to be edited:

• Sambolero
  • Aqua de Beber

Waltz / Jazz Waltz

1. Elsa
  2. Moonriver
  3. A Child Is Born
  4. Spartacus Love Theme

Unsure how to classify

1. You’ve Got A Friend In Me
  2. Walk On By
  3. You Are There
  4. Hearts Desire
  5. Invitation

Tuomo has already created lessons on the following standards. These tunes are in the editing/publishing stages:

• I Loves You Porgy
  • All Of Me
  • How High The Moon
  • What Is This Thing Called Love
  • Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
3 Likes

“Someday my prince will come”

would be a nice to look at it, it’s an interesting set of chord choices, and i’m having some trouble improvising the harmony on that one.

Also another great one would be “little B’s Poem” by bobby hutcherson, just a beautiful tune.

1 Like

How about ‘When Sunny Gets Blue’?

1 Like

Hey James,

I covered that tune, here’s the link:

Hope you enjoy!

Yes that tune has been included in our latest voting ballad table, I shared some of my favourite recordings of that tune directly the thread:

Take a listen to the recordings and I am working on an arrangement.

Cheers,
Hayden

ps. also make sure to cast your votes in the new table!

Just joined website! Hi to all :slight_smile:
’THAT’S LIFE’ (Sinatra) different approaches
’DON’T EXPLAIN’ (Dexter Gordon/Chet Baker/G. Shearing/ Kenny Baron)
’MINOR SWING’ (Django on piano…?)
’SWEET GEORGIA BROWN’
BEYOND THE SEA’
’EXODUS’ (Is that in the ‘standards’ songbook? if not, any similar ‘minor’ tune that swing’s with bassline) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBB6VKQuxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67SqWICnt4

I couldn’t pick one ,but happy if any one tune is picked from the list. Thanks Hayden.

Welcome to the PianoGroove community Niall! :tada:

and thanks for all of these brilliant suggestions.

We have just created tables on previously requested lessons. Click the links below to vote on your favourites:

We will be covering the tunes that are most in-demand from our students so cast your votes!

Cheers,
Hayden

1 Like

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
Someone to Watch Over Me
The Peacocks

2 Likes

I’d like to throw in an idea if you’re still looking for suggestions. “Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most.” It’s often done as a ballad, but it also sounds good at a medium swing tempo.

1 Like

Thanks Hayden for this one. I always had a goal to play this song and Amazing Grace in all 12 keys. You are awesome!

1 Like

Hayden and Tuomo, If i have the nerve to ask you if the Jazz Standard, “I Loves You Porgy” is ready yet, will you promise NOT to ask me if I finished learning the other 68 Standards you painstakingly recorded and edited?

1 Like

:joy: I’m also looking forward to Porgy. There is a LOT of editing going on for numerous tunes that are in the pipeline. It’s coming!

I have returned to Tenderly… because I used to have an arrangement, and it slipped away from me and I have to learn it all over again. Hate it when that happens, however in revisiting the tune, I’ve learned new things from it.

Lori, I’ve got to stop using our teachers’ playing as a de-stresser–listening while I work online–and actually sit down and learn some of the beautiful music they so carefully demonstrate/teach. I subscribe to another wonderful, online teacher, Willie Myette, who gave and also continues to give me additional grounding in theory and jazz standards to learn.

Limitations with actually practicing/playing the piano because of rheumatoid arthritis set me back for some years and i just got in the habit of “watching” lessons and learning theory instead of playing. But friends insisted on sending me videos of people playing piano with only one good hand or who play with their toes or their nose and they embarrassed me into practicing…(darn, I was so comfortable at my pity party drinking alone…). Good luck with “Tenderly.” What a gorgeous composition. I’m positive all your chops will come back quickly!

Yes we will prioritise the editing so that it is the next one published by Tuomo.

Looking at the script Tuomo sent, here are the versions he recommends listening to:

Good versions to check out are of course any versions you can find of the opera itself, Nina Simone has a great one, Bill Evans Trio live at the Village Vanguard as well as Solo Sessions Vol. 2, Billie Holiday, Keith Jarrett, just to name few.

In creating the arrangement Tuomo transcribed material from the Bill Evans version, so it will be a Bill Evans-Esque arrangement of the tune.

@LoriNelson & @lonnie1277456 I will keep you both posted and ensure this lesson is published ASAP :sunglasses:

That’s great… I have seen some of Willie’s materials and he is a wonderful teacher. It’s always good to get multiple insights and perspectives when studying jazz and ultimately it will broaden your own perspective with music.

:grin: … That’s certainly one way to encourage!

The way I see it Lonnie, is that we all have different physical constraints in some form, and it’s important to work with them, and not against them.

It can sometimes be easy to dwell on these constraints, but I think it’s best to accept the limitations created in certain aspects of our playing and instead focus our attention on the things we can execute well on the piano.

As another example, I’ve receive a lot of emails about hand reach, and hand stretch, and that many students simply can’t reach the bigger voicings in the arrangements which they find very frustrating.

In my newer lessons, I always try to demonstrate ways in which we can reorder, or rearrange the notes, or even change the stylistic way that we play so that we can achieve the same, or a very similar sound no matter what the hand size. More often than not it is easy to do.

Anyhow, I hope the arthritis is not too painful Lonnie, and I’m sure a soothing arrangement of “I loves you Porgy” will help :grinning:

Cheers!