What Record Are You Listening To Today?

A couple of Keith Jarrett solo piano recordings:

Someone To Watch Over Me:

I Loves You Porgy

Full Album:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s one of the best Keith albums, recorded just after he had a long break from playing and performing.

The wikipedia article has a good detailed description:

1 Like

Unforgettable. The Voice competitionā€¦Maelyn Jarmon Ā· John Legend duet. Lovely!

https://youtu.be/M9hJMz7chDA

2 Likes

Very fine Jazz Piano album I very much enjoyed the arrangements :musical_keyboard::musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Love it Arielā€¦ I must listen to more of Phineas Newborn. I like his bluesly swinginā€™ style.

Thereā€™s some wonderful bluesy tunes and material to transcribe in the B-side of the album:

A Side

• 00:00 - A1 Take The ā€œAā€ Train
  • 02:41 - A2 Gee Baby Ainā€™t I Good To You
  • 05:46 - A3 Ainā€™t Misbehavinā€™
  • 09:41 - A4 Iā€™ve Got The World On A String
  • 13:08: - A5 The Midnight Sun Never Sets

B-Side

• 17:12 - B1 Real Gone Guy
  • 19:23 - B2 Undecided
  • 23:03 - B3 Ivy League Blues
  • 26:49 - B4 Love And Marriage
  • 30:50 - B5 Give Me The Simple Life

Cheers!

Iā€™m a fan of the German trumpeter Till Brƶnner. Recently, I came across this video which is about recording, rather than a recording itself. I thought it might be interesting for us to see and hear about the process of creating a session. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the keyboard sideman on Brƶnnerā€™s albums that Iā€™ve been listening to is Larry Goldings, who is to me one of the best contemporary players.

Hereā€™s a song from the session.

1 Like

Holy Cow! That keyboardist nailed it! I love watching him use the 2 level boards. The samples he chose were spot on, and blends so well. And then it was such choice moments, when heā€™d double the line he was playing, using both hands. Nailed it! Thanks for sharing. Inspired to figure out my synth:)

Love this! Iā€™ve never heard Phineas Newborn before, and this was just delightful. I especially loved Ainā€™t Misbehavinā€™ and Love & Marriage.

Yeah - I love this guys left hand work, from walking to stride to doubling the melody, love it.

I havenā€™t heard this song in 15 years it seem, and it just popped back in my head. I had to give it a listen, and itā€™s still such a magical piece. I love the whole album and in particular the 1st 4 songs leading into this (as the 4th) has the most amazing crescendo effect that gives me chills everytime. Itā€™s a wonderful mix of jazz, classical and world influences, and one that stands the test of time.
https://youtu.be/mcJDzMTtmoY

Surprising and interesting album ā€¦ nice discovering thks

@lonnie1277456 and Hayden who makes me discovering him
It seems 7notesmode is back
lovely song dolphin dance from Herbie

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the heads up Pierre.

Great to see 7notemode posting on YouTube again!

And ā€œDolphin Danceā€ā€¦ what a great tune for him to come back from his 5 year break.

this old Lp from some of my favourite jazz musician for some quiet and soulful night

Nice one, Pierre! I came across a couple of his albums recently and marked them for further listening.

Im curious about a thing. Do you know any minor blues recording guys ?
Thanks

-Guillaume

Hereā€™s some that I know Guillaume:

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moaninā€™

Wayne Shorter - Footprints

John Coltrane - Mr. P.C.

Oliver Nelson - Stolen Moments

Dizzy Gillespie - Birksā€™ Works

2 Likes

Hereā€™s something from Camila Meza, a singer/songwriter/guitarist from Chile who is currently working in NYC. Sheā€™s writing some interesting stuff. Hereā€™s one that I believe is an original. (I posted another in the section for discovering vocalists where she performs a Jobim tune.) The interplay between guitar and piano is nice in the ride.

2 Likes

HereĀ“s an interesting take on ā€œSomeone to Watch Over Meā€ by the Ted Rosenthal Trio.

https://youtu.be/tMyRVhIbeKs

1 Like