What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Interesting Scott, I heard the vamp and immediately thought " Peace Piece" - Bill Evans…

Perhaps some kind of homage.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve been indulging in Stan Getz’s Bossa Nova recordings today.

Here’s a few of my favourites :palm_tree: :sunglasses: :musical_note:

Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd - “Desafindo”

Stan Getz Luis Bonfa “Insensatez” (How Insensitive)

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - So Danco Samba

We do have tutorials on 2 of those 3 tunes for those interested…

“Desafinado” arranged & taught by Jovino:

I made a 3-part study of “How Insensitive” a couple years ago:

“How Insensitive” is one of my all time favourites.

It’s interesting how Jobim drew inspiration from Chopin’s Prelude in E-Minor (op.28 no. 4) - which coincidentally was the first classical score I learnt. Both lovely pieces.

Link here for further reading on Jobim’s homage to Chopin:
http://mascaripianostudios.com/piano-blog/how-insensitive-jobims-homage-to-chopin/ - fascinating stuff!

2 Likes

great jazz cocktail from the great Carmen Cavallaro

1 Like

Fantastic James.P. Johnson !

1 Like

Joshua Redman - Sweet Nasty

Amazing work from the drummer on this recording… such great interplay between the sax/drums.

@scott1 i thought you might like the organ fills on this record :sunglasses:

Thanks for sharing this, Hayden! I’ve come across a few titles recently where the organ fills the traditional piano parts. I’ll post some of them later. Right now I want to share something that follows up on your recent interest in Brazilian music.

Andrea Motis has a new album, Do outro lado do azul (Verve 2019). I’ve been following her music for a while. She’s Spanish (Catalán). The core group is her quintet, with whom she’s been playing and recording for over 10 years (and she’s only around 24 now). It’s like her teachers have become her sidemen.

Here are live versions of two of the album’s cuts. The first is also one of her original compositions. It is really quite moving. The album in its entirety is worth an hour of your time.

Wow the Andrea Motis Quintet has a lovely vibe. Nice easy listening.

What a talent for 24 years old.

I’ll check out the full album. Thanks!

And here is an example of “where the organ fills the traditional piano parts” that I mentioned above. This is from Jim Rotondi’s New Vistas (2004).

1 Like

I was in Argentina for the month of June. (I lived in Argentina from December 2000 until April 2018 before we relocated to the United States,) So I guess I’m back maybe sharing too much. But anyway, here’s a nice organ bit that you might enjoy. (And he’s playing the Hammond version SK2 that I have.) Jim Alfredson is from the midwest and has been playing, recording, and on the road for nearly 30 years. He’s well worth a listen. Enjoy!

A great camera angle to get a glimpse of what it’s like to play Hammond.

His left hand at 6:21 :exploding_head:

One of my old piano teachers told me that as pianists, we should practice the piano with the same diligence that a drummer practices rudiments. I can see why it’s so important to get locked into the groove like that.

Awesome video!

What do you mean by that ?

As a drummer, time is key.

The single most important role of the drummer is to keep solid time. So drummers must practice their rudiments with such discipline and diligence that their time is impeccable.

The piano is also a percussion instrument - just like the drums. They are both in the percussion family of instruments.

Effectively, the piano is 88 finely-tuned drums and so in that sense, we should have the same level of precision as drummers do when playing our instrument.

When playing piano, it can be easy to ‘over indulge’ in the harmonic aspect of the sounds, colours, and textures that can be created, and not pay adequate attention to time.

I’m guilty of this. I always enjoyed playing freely, even when I studied classical, i was naturally drawn to the music of Chopin and Debussy where I could play the pieces more freely than other classical works.

To sum it up, my teacher was highlighting the importance of having a strong sense of time as a jazz pianist.

Furthermore, many of the most talented jazz musicians I have met all advocate playing with a metronome 24/7 whilst practicing. I personally find this difficult but I’m trying to do it more and more.

To bring it back to @scott1’s video, I could see how solid the organist was ‘in the pocket’ with his left hand comping, and my comment was referring to the fact that he has obviously worked hard to get such a solid sense of time.

2 Likes

Are there any Exotica style sounds fans from the 50’s here ? :slight_smile:
This is one my favorite genres, it’s basically incorporating oriental, Caribbean, afro cuban styles with jazz,.

1 Like

Love it!

It makes me want to lie on a beach with a piña colada :grin:

Haha yes, when I was in central America half a year ago I was listening to it in repeat all day and pina colada’s were included also :smiley:

1 Like

love this … spirit of Wes and JimmySmith clarity precision economy …lovely
done

Here’s another organ piece for now. This is from the German artist Barbara Dennerlein. She met Jimmy Smith when she was 15 and he kept in touch with her and her family for a while. [See here if you’re interested (Barbara Dennerlein: A Study in Contrasts article @ All About Jazz)]

We can all pack up our gear and go home. :rofl:

1 Like

She is insanely amazing!! As though left hand indepence wasn’t challenging enuff, she’s got really impressive bass work going there with feet…

Just now I was listening to “Throw It Away,” a subtly nuanced conversation between John Scofield and Larry Goldings on piano. It’s from Scofield’s A Moment’s Peace (2011). Enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

This is actually my favorite Summertime version, the O.P rythm is so perfect… and his phrases are so beautiful, i can’t get enough of this, i think i listen to this around 40-50 times a day since monday, im in love !!

2 Likes