What Record Are You Listening To Today?

REAL BOOK 001: A Call To All Demons ~ Sun Ra - YouTube - Great tune

A New Orleans take on ā€œWaltz for Debby.ā€ Love it, particularly how Toussaint lets the melody ā€œlagā€ behind the beat.

https://youtu.be/zQAg61iDQSM

1 Like

Just discovering Wes Montgomery with this tune, heā€™s fantastic, makes me want to start arranging this tune

Edit: Also @Hayden is there any place in the forum where we can set challenge to our self and take others as witnesses :joy: and maybe motivate others !

1 Like

And Guillaume, if you want to hear a very fine example of Wes Montgomery, check out this tune, ā€œFour on Sixā€. Montgomery is at his best and Wynton Kelly is on fire. Maybe thatā€™s why the album has its title. :joy: Enjoy, and check out the album. Itā€™s a classic.

3 Likes

@scott1, Iā€™m so happy to see you posted this record, itā€™s one of the best!

Hereā€™s another great one with the same great Wynton Kelly Trio with Paul Chambers (b) and Jimmy Cobb (dr), with a totally different kind of soloist (Joe Henderson)

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks tuomo. Iā€™ve listened to *Four!*and it is definitely a fine effort. I have it in my library.

1 Like

I love Joe Hendersonā€™s work as well. My favorite album of his is called ā€œElementsā€ on which he incorporates some ethnic instrumentals.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lets create a practice group!

So as Iā€™m revisiting the lessons on ā€œBeautiful Loveā€ and listening to different versions, I found this one by Makoto Ozone. Itā€™s definitely worth a listen. Itā€™s from the album Spring is Here (1986). George Mraz is on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. (And while I have your attention :wink: , Iā€™ve added another video of a very fine version of Cedar Waltonā€™s ā€œHoly Land.ā€ Itā€™s by another Japanese player, Yumiko Matsutake.)

1 Like

Well I seem to be hogging the space here. But tonight, I saw the Kendrick Scott Oracle, at a local venue. Obviously. all the players are good, and Scott has been likened to Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb, and Tony Williams. My wife found them sort of boring. And I have to agree. Kendrick Scott is a master drummer; his compositions, while good, are sometimes less than stellar.

I came to hear the pianist Taylor Eigsti. His role tonight and the guy working the mikes were sort of underwhelming. Following are two videos:

First, a video with Kendrick Scott and Taylor Eigsti accompanying the vocalist Gretchen Parlatoā€“the reason why I bought my tickets.

And here one of the songs tonight, the last song of Kendrick Scottā€™s album A Wall Becomes A Bridge

I know this is not traditional jazz piano, but this is why I want to learn!

Im working on Billieā€™s Bounce and this guyā€¦ rocks it wow !

2 Likes
1 Like

Show-off, but very cool.

1 Like

A wonderful example of reharmonization of a 1960s pop hit (still a favorite of mine)
https://youtu.be/32v_07EnkSk

1 Like

Junior Mance is an absolute Jazz Blues piano player, this is excellent.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a very talented young pianist I just came acrossā€“Ben Paterson. (Okay, so heā€™s 36. Itā€™s young to me. :sunglasses: ) Heā€™s got a few albums out and has a bit of the Oscar Peterson sound about him. (One of his albums is Blues for Oscar.) He also sings and has a couple of albums playing the Hammond B3. In a few days, Iā€™ll post an example of each. For now, hereā€™s his version of a Stevie Wonder song.

2 Likes

Yes I love Ben!

Have you checked out Johnny Oā€™neal? He is one of the greatest pianists still around in NYC, and a great mentor to all of us.

Here video with Ben Paterson:

And here Johnny on the piano

4 Likes

I love his energy, and he is one of the people inspiring me to learn piano.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Tuomo, some nice stuff. I forget that youā€™re in New York and in the heart of things. Hereā€™s one by Ben Paterson on the B3. This guyā€™s good.

2 Likes