Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Would love to do that, Celia. Right now Iā€™m out of country but will be back and get busy next month.

1 Like

Thanks Greg. Nice to hear from you again. I wouldnā€™t have been able to work out the ending if Tuomo hadnā€™t given us that lesson on quartal harmony in the voicings class.
I must admit I love technology and wasnā€™t able to resist the floating keyboard.
Cheers.

@George_Miller
This is very nice. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Good stuff George. Lovely rendition :grinning:

1 Like

Beautiful rendition and editing WOW you really improve so much in your playing Wonderful to hear that and really stimulating for us all !!

Thanks sharing this !! and Bravo !!! :partying_face: :star_struck:

1 Like

George that was lovely ā€“ such nice voicings, fills and a beautiful touch;
I enjoyed listening to it.

2 Likes

Oh George. Thatā€™s beautiful. Amazing well done. I can feel the emotion in your playing to. Fantastic. :+1:t2::heart:

1 Like

Coming up on my 2nd PG anniversary and wanted to share a couple of tunes. Iā€™ve continued to work one-on-one with Tuomo which has been fantastic. My primary goal has been to get better at improv; Iā€™m making progress but thereā€™s still lots of room for improvement. Iā€™ve also come to appreciate that the most important aspect of becoming a better jazz pianist is being a better listenerā€“my aural knowledge of the genre has grown a lot, in part from PG tutorials and in part from Tuomoā€™s guidance.

I havenā€™t spent much time working through PG courses recently but I appreciate having them available as a resource and I enjoy being a member of (and occasionally participating in) the community.

I originally picked up these tunes from Tuomoā€™s transcription exercises. For both tunes, I play the head followed by the solo I transcribed (the exercise) followed by a couple choruses of my own improv.

ā€œWithout A Songā€ is based on the Bill Evans trio version; I tried to transcribe his opening rubato section, then filled in the up tempo trio part as best as possible.

ā€œAscensionā€ is straight from Barry Harrisā€™ solo version (at a slower tempo of course); again, I tried to transcribe the opening rubato section.

Recorded on a midi keyboard with Logic Pro and Ravenscroft 275; one of these days I may have to invest in a good video camera but I doubt Iā€™ll be able to catch up to George!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing these Greg - wonderful inspiration for everyone.

I particularly like your ā€œWithout A Songā€ rendition with the straighter eighth note soloing and triplet phrases - itā€™s really nice and captures the essence of Bill Evansā€™ soloing. Nice job on these tunes!

2 Likes

@gregb ,

Itā€™s nice to see you back. Your work with improv is definitely coming along very nicely. I especially like the first tune! Like you, I havenā€™t spent much time lately with the PianoGroove coursesā€“Iā€™ve been wrestling with Brazilian genres and rhythmsā€“but Iā€™ll always be a member as a way of saying thanks for what Iā€™ve learned here and to have a handy resource. Look forward to hearing more! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Hi Gregā€¦your definitely getting a good grip on improvisation and love the first piece that you played. Unfortunately my hands following surgery in December last year are still slowly getting strength back in them and struggling at times for regular practice without over doing things.

keep up the good work!!! Tuomo is definitely adding value to your playing!!!

4 Likes

Gregā€¦those were great! Your practice is really paying off. Good job!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

Hayden, someone told me once that, ā€œitā€™s all about the eighth notesā€! Having said that, I think there may be in the US a bit of a West coast - East coast divide with regard to how ā€œtripletyā€ one plays swung eighth notes, plus itā€™s so dependent on tempo.

Scott, I always admire your knowledge of and passion for Latin jazzā€“one of these days Iā€™ll give it a try myself.

Paul, I hope youā€™re back in the piano saddle soon, and Celia, thanks for those kind words.

1 Like

Great stuff Greg. Love the transition. Keep playing

Adam

1 Like

@gregb love your playing thks a lot for sharing !

@paul1523727 we are with you take care ; i did unfortunally experiment hand surgery in past years , was really frustrating but was so happy after i recover ā€¦

will come back soon here, after some family issue , its lifeā€¦ cya

2 Likes

Thanks Greg and Pierrot for your kind words. :smiley:

From typing over the years as part of my job, I was diagnosed having ā€œCarpal Tunnelā€, and agree, frustrating just how much time it has taken to recover from the stiffness and loss of muscle memory, etcā€¦ as part of the process in recovering.

We take so much for granted when playing and its only when something like this happens that we realise what we had.

Iā€™m 6 months out from surgery on both hands now and Its like stating to play all over again in some respects though, as you said frustrating but worth it in the long run.

Iā€™m slowly playing again but having to limit my time at the keyboard and not over doing it. Iā€™m focusing on building up my finger, hand and wrist strength and dexterity. :grinning:

1 Like

Paulā€¦so sorry you had to go through the surgery! Six months away from the piano is long time. So glad you are able to start back. Take it slowly, be patient, and let yourself gently flow back into the music. It will come!

2 Likes

Many thanks for your encouraging words and thoughts Celia. Agree, taking it slowly and getting back into the flow is my top priority at present.

Take care!

1 Like

Wow, really lovely recordings and vidshares! Iā€™m now playing ā€˜catch upā€™ :grin:

Probably my very first time posting a video here :blush: I first tried to learn Haydenā€™s arrangement of Georgia piece last year, back in August 2021 and I could only play the first page then

I got the chance to get back to it again this year (August 2022) and I promised myself at least I should be able to finish learning it this year - or the progress is going to be too slow heheā€¦

I was more listening to Haydenā€™s track repeatedly and also started to watch videos and other versions on Youtube. In my mind, itā€™s perfectly playing, but of course my fingers are still in the works haha when it comes to making all things happen lolā€¦

Iā€™m very happy to have recorded it today and will keep workin on it. Thanks so much to Hayden for this wonderful arrangement. Hope you are all doing great!

4 Likes

Fantastic! I really enjoyed listening to that. I loved the blues fills and embellishments.

1 Like