Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

How long have you been playing? You are fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks, Kirk; thatā€™s very generous! I played a lot as a kid (classical then high school and college bands), set it aside for about 40 years (job, kids, etc), then picked things up again about 18 mo ago with pianogroove as a pandemic activity. My main goal has been to improve at improv and reharms, which is still a work in progress. I very much enjoy the community and PG resources.

1 Like

Several months ago I shared a tune on the occasion of being at pianogroove for a year; I thought today would be appropriate to share something else for two reasons. First, itā€™s now been about a year since I started regular lessons with @Tuomo; it also happens (inside knowledge) to be his birthday today. Happy birthday Tuomo!

My goal was and still is to improve with improvisation and early on, Tuomo suggested that I start with one of the tunes in his beginning transcription series. Confirmation is a famous Charlie Parker tune; seemed like it took me forever to learn it, and Iā€™m still working on a more interesting LH and the improv of course. Hereā€™s a version with three choruses of improv, the first of which is Hank Jonesā€™ first solo. Upon listening to my rendition, I realize I have lots of room for improvementā€“tempo is a little irregular at times despite using a metronome, I overdid it with triplets, thereā€™s not enough breathing room, and it doesnā€™t swing as well as I would like. As Tuomo has told me, itā€™s all about the eighth notes.

2 Likes

@gregb Thank you so much for birthday wishes! Now got to the age where Iā€™m closer to 70 than my birthā€¦ :woozy_face:

Your arrangement of Confirmation is getting better every time I hear it! Also your left hand accompaniment in the solo sounds authentic and supportive, and youā€™re right, itā€™s all about the eight note feel.

One of my main influences, and a pianist I learned a ton about eight notes and phrasing is Tommy Flanagan, hereā€™s a recording of his with similar (a bit faster) tempo, but a good example of great eight notes in the solo:

For my birthday, Iā€™d also like to share my renditions of Confirmation, first one recorded at Mezzrow Jazz Club in NYC sometime pre-Covid, the second one is a solo recording I did ca. February 2021:

Hope you like them,

All the best,

-Tuomo

2 Likes

Hey @Tuomo , Happy Birthday!!! Most generous of you to give us such a delightful present on the occasion of your Bday. A treat to hear you play outside of the zoom sessions.
Best,
James

Thank you @james18 !

Happy birthday, Tuomo. :clinking_glasses: :clinking_glasses:

You said that youā€™re now ā€œcloser to 70 than my birth.ā€ Guess that makes you 36?

Thanks for sharing the clips. That second solo recording is really fine!

2 Likes

Nicely done @gregb. Always nice to hear what youā€™ve been working on.

2 Likes

@Tuomo youā€™ve only got a few more decades to catch up to me (in age).

Iā€™d seen the mezzrow video before and look forward to the not too distant future when youā€™ll be playing there again. The solo version is a real treat and a beautiful example (and inspiration) of how itā€™s possible to put an original stamp on a classic bebop tune!

1 Like

Thanks guys, Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the recordings!

@scott1 35 is my age now :slight_smile:

Happy belated birthday Tuomo!

Thank you @Hayden !!

2 Likes

Great Toumo. Both of them. I really like your solo piano recording. You are a talented ā€œveryā€ young man!

Tom

Thank you @TomLC ! Glad you liked the recordings!

About three weeks ago, I posted a clip of a version of Charlie Hadenā€™s ā€œNightfall.ā€ Iā€™ve recently come back to working on that and incorporated one of @gregbā€™s great suggestions on improving it. The chord changes on bar 12 are a bit muddied. But itā€™s still very much a work in progress. I welcome any helpful suggestions. (Turn the volume down to about a third.) Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Very nice Scott!!! Thanks for sharing.

@scott1 Great sound, great chord changes, full of yearning. Thanks for the update of you working on this.

Thanks for your encouragement, @RichardG and @celia! Itā€™s much appreciated.

Glad you enjoyed it @celia!

beautifully played! Scott :slight_smile: if I may ask, what tools do you use to do your audio recording? Thank you!