Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances 🎵

I look forward to the day when my playing has “plenty of mistakes and not great rhythm” in the style of LoriNelson!

1 Like

So here’s the latest take on “Corcovado.” Took a long time–not the playing, but figuring out how Logic Pro X works :slightly_smiling_face:. It’s not fully fledged, but complete for now. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for sharing; I really enjoyed listening to and thinking about the tune. I love the arrangement and the voicings; together with the intro and outro it seems very polished! A couple suggestions for you to consider:

1. Sounds like you used a Rhodes VST with a lot of tremolo. I think the EP sound is nice but the tremolo doesn’t work so well for me. I would be interested to hear what a layered (80% R275; 20% EP but no tremolo) sounds like.
  2. Did you use the metronome while recording? I find that when I do that, I end up incorporating the metronome subconsciously as a poor man’s rhythm section, and when I listen to the actual recording without the metronome there’s sometimes an absence of information about time. It would be pretty easy to use the voicings you already have to add more rhythm (bass and RH alternating in a bossa-like pattern).

Look forward to hear more!

@scott1 Ye ! nice done Scott i love that cool vibe thks sharing it

Thanks for listening, @gregb and @Pierrot! Glad you enjoyed it.

@gregb I’ll go over the settings and such in the Logic Pro X thread.

Again, thanks guys.

1 Like

Bravo! Interesting and inspiring setting too. The blissful spirits were all there listening to your wonderful interpretation.

Got a chance to duet with my man, when he finally got out of NOLA, ( 7 days with no electricity and couldn’t get out after the hurricane). Nice having him home for a couple weeks and we get to duet again. Here is a lovely tune called Falling Grace by Steve Swallow. I transcribed some solo material and have included that Spotify link to that pianist.

Keep on Playing :notes: :musical_keyboard: my fellow groovers…L.

3 Likes

Lovely @LoriNelson … you’re playing is sounding awesome! Congrats on your progress :star_struck:

Loved Kirk’s bass solo too!

Really nice, Lori! I wasn’t familiar with the tune so it was doubly pleasurable for me!

Off topic–I have a friend in NOLA who still doesn’t have power; fortunately he has a natural gas-powered generator, but most of his neighbors do not.

Sounds great Lori! Thanks for sharing!

Lori,

I love this tune. I think I first heard it when you shared it in another form earlier. I love nearly everything that Steve Swallow has done. And you’re sounding really good! Thanks for sharing. :musical_keyboard:

Check this out Scott. Little Waltz by Ron Carter. Such pure simplicity and openness Very light comping best support this lovely bass solo

1 Like

Lori, I never heard this group before. I will again! You guys sound great. Thanks.
Tom

This is nice too! Relaxing to listen to.

Ye lovely tune and cool playing !

My favourite version of it

i already mentioned it earlier just in case you miss it … Same configuration in duo piano bass

1 Like

love that too !! she is fantastic

1 Like

I’ve been listening a lot to Charlie Haden’s Nocturne (Verve 2001). In 2002, the album won Haden the Grammy Award for Best Latin Jazz Album. I’ve been listening especially to Gonzalo Rubalcaba’s piano.

Here’s a brief take of my trying to work out some voicings for Haden’s tune, “Nightfall.” I’m also sharing the lead sheet.

If you look at the lead sheet, it’s only 16 bars, an AB form–and A and B are very similar, yet distinct. The Ddim/C, Abdim, and Bdim share the same notes. They’re also basically inversions of Fdim, if I’m approaching this correctly.

Thinking of this, I recall Jovino’s comment about how his knowledge of inversions makes for a facility in composition on the fly.

Nightfall Charlie Haden.pdf (47.3 KB)

Maybe some of you who know theory better than I might comment?

3 Likes

Hi Scott and thanks for sharing!

I always enjoy seeing what you’re listening to and playing–I’m still a toddler when it comes to learning and listening to what the jazz world has to offer.

I listened to the version on Nocturne (Rubalcaba) and the one on Nightfall the album (John Taylor). The heads are pretty similar, although I noticed a couple of differences. Taylor plays a D natural instead of D# in bar 3 (I prefer the D natural), and uses an EbM7 aug instead of EbM7 at bar 9, which I think adds more color.

A few similarities between the two versions that you may want to consider incorporating into your arrangement (hope you don’t mind my suggestions):

1. Descending thirds in bars 2 and 4 for some nice inner voice movement
  2. Emphasizing the E root at the end of bar 3
  3. One register down. I think it works well in both registers; if it were me I would start in the lower register like the recorded versions and then play it an octave higher as a variation as you do.

Greg

1 Like

@gregb,

Greg,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated. In fact, I’ve converted your email into a PDF and put it in my “Nightfall” folder so I can refer to it in the future. I’m open to any and all ideas. As to your suggestion 3, yea I know. It was very late, and I wanted to get a fairly clean take before shutting down. I can’t write musical notation easily, and I had spent several hours tooling around with voicings, etc. and didn’t want to lose what I had at that moment. The MIDI version, accompanied with Logic’s score editor, makes getting back up to speed pretty easy. Another plus of Logic.

Again, thanks! And check out some of Rubalcaba’s other albums. He’s one of many Cuban pianists that are well worth a listen. (A nudge toward Roberto Fonseca, Omar Sosa, Emiliano Salvador, Chucho Valdés–and going way back, Peruchín.)

1 Like

Thanks, Scott! I’ve been listening to Skyline since you suggested in the other thread. That was also my introduction to Rubalcaba (I’m a listening toddler), and I’ll look forward to expanding my horizons as you suggest!