Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Wonderful performance George - thanks for sharing! :clap:

I love the voicing that you end on :star_struck: ā€¦ It reminds me of the Red Garland Trio version with the dissonant ending.

I also love Redā€™s use of block chords in that recording. Itā€™s a great way to inject energy whilst playing the main melody and also when soloing. We have a lesson on that voicing technique here if youā€™re interested, also using the tune ā€œThere Will Never Be Another Youā€:

I also like how you use the melody of the tune as ā€˜a springboardā€™ to develop your own melodic ideas. The opening motif of this tune is very catchy and can be played once, and then developed further using the same rhythm.

I had some fun jamming on this tune with @Lyndol a couple of years ago, notice during my solo at 2:00, just as I start the 2nd A Section, I play the original melody over Ebmaj7 and then play the same rhythmic figure again over the 251 to the C Minor, and the 251 to Bb Minor:

Finally, if you desire to work on your timingā€¦

@Tuomo hosted a wonderful live seminar this morning on ā€œHow To Use The Metronomeā€.

He used the tune ā€œThere Will Never Be Another Youā€ as an example throughout the seminar so you might like to check out the recording, you can find it here:

Tuomo covered the following exercises and drills for improving time:

• Metronome Practice with Hanon Exercises
  • Metronome Practice with a Bebop Line
  • Metronome Practice with Barry Harris Voicings
  • Improv Exercises - 8th Notes & Triplets
  • Practicing with Metronome on beats 2 & 4
  • Advanced Metronome Exercises
  • A useful drill alternating 8th Notes, Triplets, 16th Notes

Most of the drills and exercises are demonstrated over ā€œThere Will Never Be Another Youā€ - so definitely worth checking out.

Thanks again for sharing @George_Miller - itā€™s wonderful inspiration for us all!

1 Like

Thanks Scott. The audacity app records speech or sound and it is a basic editor too, so you can make adjustments, edit the recording and export as eny format you like. Iā€™m playing a Yamaha 5ā€™7ā€™ā€™ grand. I have my eye on an electronic keyboard but havenā€™t taken the plunge yet!
Aye,
George

Thanks Lori. IReal Pro is popular in Britain but I hadnā€™t heard of it in Canada before coming on the site. I have Band in a Box which does much the same thing and itā€™s a real learning curve playing to rhythm when youā€™re not used to it. After listening to my piece I realize I need to do more of it.
Aye,
George

Thanks Hayden. I had already worked on the Red Garland Block chords video but hadnā€™t got to the voicing tutorial. I went through that this morning and love the sound of the octaves and fifths in the right hand against the left hand voicings. Iā€™ll work on that.
I enjoyed the jam session you posted with @Lyndol and identified the section you mention. Now that I am more comfortable with extended chords Iā€™m working on improvisation and solo development.
Tuomo is always incredible in his insights. Iā€™m looking through the app store for a metronome app right now. I must admit to a little bit of evil seeing Tuomo struggle a bit with the Barry Harris voicings. Iā€™ve been working on them now for a year, still have trouble visualising the drop 2 with diminished, and Iā€™ll never ever be as accomplished as Tuomo.
Thanks for your help
Aye,
George

1 Like

Very nice George! Thanks for sharing! I agree with you and others on the timing issue, although most of what I play is rubato which gives me some room. I still find hesitancies that I donā€™t like. I also get nervous when I try to record myselfā€¦it is like a setup for a boo boo!

1 Like

@George_Miller - here are a couple of metronome apps for consideration:

Tempo:

I find this app simple and intuitive to use, which is what a metronome app should be.

DrumGenius:

This app is somewhat of a cross between a backing track and a metronome. There is no bass included in the tracks which makes it great for practicing left hand shuffle and walking bass lines. If you are working on our Chicago Blues, Boogie Woogie, or New Orleans Blues courses, this app is great for working on timing and groove.

The drum sounds and nuances have been carefully constructed to imitate the style of famous jazz drummers. If you download the app, you can choose 5 tracks for free if I remember correctly - so thereā€™s nothing to loose by trying it out - and then you must get the full version for access to the full library of drum sound and styles.

We have more info on it here:

1 Like

Very Creative! Love how you play around esp. at the end. And enjoyed the voicing movement.

The other side to hearing yourself play on a recording, is that sometimes things you thought were mistake, actually sound great. It can work both ways. Funny how different it is to listen passively, verses listen whilst playing. Iā€™m always surprised both pleasantly and not. Takes courage.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I have been getting loads of ideas off the tutorial videos and live feeds, and recently have been getting to know Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson through listening, playing videos, and watching Youtube videos. I created a short jazz composition in the style of Oscar Peterson, called ā€œIzzy Does Itā€, for piano, bass and drums (not played with live players yet!). I tried to do Oscar Peterson-style piano voicings, which are fun (if a little stretchy for my hands!). On this audio, there are no solos or da capo, just the head played through, jumping straight to the coda.

2 Likes

Izzy,

Thatā€™s sweet! Would you share with us your setup? Iā€™m curious about what keyboard you use, how you record, backing tracks, drum loops, etc. It sounds very good. Iā€™m just getting started with Logic Pro X and looking for ideas. Keep sharing. :musical_keyboard:

Hi Scott, thanks. This is just an export from MuseScore, where I notated everything. I am a Logic user as well and frequently record audio or use a MIDI interface to play into Logic, so feel free to ask any questions. For audio, I have a Scarlett microphone and audio interface. For software instruments, i.e. playing in a MIDI line, I use my Kawai digital keyboard, which plugs straight into my computer using USB A-B cable.

Nice composition @Izzy - and awesome how you created all of this in MuseScore.

Regrading stretchy voicingsā€¦ we can most often rearrange the notes into a smaller register of the piano if the original voicings are too much of a stretch.

Tuomo posted some useful tips here on hand position to avoid an injury when playing:

Alsoā€¦ An Upcoming Music Composition Seminar

Also on the topic of composition, we have a ā€œMusic Compositionā€ live seminar next week with Jovino, add the event to your calendar here if you are interested:

Thanks @Hayden. Iā€™m definitely interested in any composition-themed seminars, so hope I will be not be teaching for this next one ā€¦! If not Iā€™ll watch on catch-up. Look forward to it.

1 Like

That was so cool!

I could definitely hear Oscar Petersen there!

Aye,
George

Nice done ! this call and response btw bass and piano cool

Oh my Izzy. That was awesome. I love that stutter that you threw in there. I was like ā€œWhuuuu.ā€ Thanks for sharing what you have been exploring.

Kindly,
Adam

Hi all.

I attended Jovinoā€™s seminar on Brazilian rhythms a short time ago and have been working on Bossa Nova and the accents as he suggested. Iā€™m trying The Girl from Ipanema, The shadow of your smile, and Insensitive. Hereā€™s my attempt at the latter. In one of Jovinoā€™s lessons on this piece he mentions that Chopinā€™s prelude in E minor has much the same harmony, so I decided to put it in and see what it sounded like. (In D minor!). Youā€™re always more likely to murder a classical piece than succeed in jazz, so I give my apologies in advance!

2 Likes

Thanks George. Iā€™ve now Latinised it for a 3-horn ensemble; sounding less Oscar Peterson now!

Izzy

1 Like

Thanks Pierrot. I noticed that Oscar P likes to do piano/bass alternation, so this is my nod to that.

Thanks Adam. Yeah Oscar P does tremolos all over the place, and I love playing them, so it had to happen :slight_smile:

Izzy

@George_Miller oh my gosh!!! I love it! I have been trying that song (There will never beā€¦) and I am always stuck in the first page hahahaā€¦ I need to keep up and keep working on it. You on another note have done a very impressive version, Wowow! Gave me a BIG smile listening to it! Would have been nice to see your video toooooā€¦ listening to this made my day today! Thank you for sharing. :blush:

I was just listening to Insensitive too- (if thats the other audio you shared) I REALLY like it a LOT - is that available on PianoGroove too??? wow I would like to check it out! you did AMAZING!

1 Like