Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Lori. Love it. I wouldā€™ve paid for that. So thank you kindly.

Rem. Great job broā€¦ Sound like you got a handle on things, Keep it up. I wanna hear more. . .

The days of wine and roses. 2 done, 6 to go :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/kli5FYSQmy8

2 Likes

One of my favorites! Nicely done, Rem. :+1:

1 Like

Well done Rem. Your hard work is paying off. Keep it up :grinning:

1 Like

Very nice Rem! You must be having a great time! As Paul says, keep it up.

1 Like

Yay! Great sound of your ā€˜Nearness of Youā€™ recording Rem. Nice feels too! Iā€™m currently learning this piece! Fantastic playing. :blush:

1 Like

Days of Wine and Roses - Beautifully played! Rem :blush:

1 Like

Great singing on Cake Tray! @ Megan. Enjoyed it! :blush:

@ Tactful
My Funny Valentine

Wonderfully played! - love it! Canā€™t wait to hear more! This piece has become one of my faves the first time I watched the lesson here in PianoGroove, :blush:

Hey all,
My first jazz standard - Days of Wine & Roses. Itā€™s been fun learning it. Thanks Hayden for the beautiful arrangement! Would love any feedback on how to improve!

Niaz

5 Likes

Niaz,

Youā€™ve done a good job with this. Thanks for sharing. Itā€™s one of my favorite tunes. By the way, what keyboard are you using?

2 Likes

Great performance Niaz - really nice job!

Hereā€™s some steps to prepare yourself to improvise over the tune:

1. Memorise the chord changes and the melody so that you are completely freed from reading the lead sheet.

2. Practice playing along with the iRealPro app with rooted voicings and also rootless voicings.

3. Listen to and study many recordings of the tune and make a playlist with all of the ones you like.

4. Transcribe parts of the solo and melodic decoration. When starting out with transcription it can be useful to use tools such as ā€œTranscribe!ā€ or ā€œThe Amazing Slow Downerā€.

5. To start with, it can be nice to just ornament the melody of the tune, perhaps deviating away from the main melody at moments, but coming back to it to stay on track. This way we are improvising off the existing melody which can be a nice middle step to taking a full solo.

6. Iā€™ve included 2 recordings below, both very different styles, listen to these and try to work out some of the melodic ideas. Of course some sections of the improvisation are easier than others so donā€™t immediately dive into Oscar Petersonā€™s lightning fast 16th note runs, but just try to pick out little bits that you can, for example how he starts his solo.

Search Spotify to find lots more records.

Of course we can learn and transcribe from any solo, not just piano players.

A few tips and pointers with transcription:

I have created a transcription lesson on this tune which you should check out:

This is the recording we transcribe from:

Here are 2 short videos which explain the benefits and importance of transcription:

Finally, check out the ear training and transcription exercises here in the forum:

These exercises are useful to get your ears up to speed if transcription is new to you.

Everyday, transcribe from your favourite records and this is the secret to improving our abilities as improvisers. Itā€™s not a quick process Niaz but one that we should enjoy. Regular listening and transcription is key.

Hope this helps Niaz and have fun with this!

2 Likes

am just all smiles while you were playing :blush: nice touch! really enjoyed watching and listening too! ā€¦

Iā€™ve been looking for this thread for so long :heart_eyes: so glad it popped on top of my screen today!

1 Like

Thanks Kristeta for the encouraging words! Looking forward to hearing you play something soon =D

1 Like

Thanks Scott! Iā€™d never heard it before but really like it now.
Itā€™s a Yamaha P95.

1 Like

Thanks Hayden!
I love the Beegie Adair version of this and am looking forward to the transcribing lesson on this.
Thanks for all the resources and suggestions - Iā€™ll do my best to try them out!

2 Likes

I downloaded the Audacity app for my IMac Pro and used it to record my practice session today. Here is one of the ā€œbetterā€ ones - There will never be another You. Iā€™m playing it in F.
I rarely ā€œhearā€ my own playing since I donā€™t record it, but I was kind of shocked to hear it here. My timing is all over the place. Iā€™m always solo, so I think Iā€™ve become used to taking liberties with timing. And when Iā€™m playing left hand voicings they are pretty heavy and ā€œstodgyā€. Thatā€™s just for starters.
Anyway, here it is - my first ā€œaudacityā€ practice recording.

3 Likes

Great work Niaz you gave me motivation to learn the song as well. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing George. I enjoyed that. I agree with your comments about timing and ā€œhearingā€ yourself. Iā€™ve just started to fiddle around with recording, and itā€™s amazing how a piece that sounds good playing it through becomes something with ā€œtiming all over the placeā€ and hesitancies that arenā€™t readily apparent when concentrating on playing.

Iā€™m not familiar with the Audacity app. Iā€™ll have to check it out. And keep sharing!

By the way, what piano/keyboard are you playing? Iā€™m always interested in the sounds.

1 Like

I love your voicings and your touch George, the improv is very tasty and I enjoyed it. Time is a challenge for me too. I think if you play it over IReal Pro so you have bass and drum backing, that you will have some fun with making yourself stay in a time groove, plus it will sound cool. You got chops, man. Thanks for sharing with us.

1 Like