Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

lovely duo !

yes myself too training rhythm apart ā€¦ ah this beautiful congas just in front ā€¦ you will have to record it for some sweet trio ā€¦

1 Like

Bravo Lori - you look and sound like a professional jazz pianist. Keep going and I look forward to more performances.

1 Like

Oh my goodness. You are very kind. Pianogroove brought me from hardly any knowledge of chords to now rootless left hand voicings.

1 Like

Hello Friends!

Iā€™ll be going on Facebook Live if anyone cares to catch a live show!

Sunday, June 7, 8pm EDT - hereā€™s a little warm up!!! (haha)

via Ireneā€™s Pub Facebook Page - a great local live music supporter here

@irenespub.ca

I got a usb mic! I learned how to plug it in! It works!

Here we goā€¦

M

2 Likes

Way to go Lori! You sound great!

Iā€™m so glad to hear youā€™re feeling encouraged - yes, what a feeling!

I had a really great jazz piano teacher who taught me some time things too - one was really easy, really meditative - Iā€™m happy to show it to you if you like, just let me know - anyway, I did everything my teacher told me to do, including practicing this time exercise ten minutes a day. A year after I started I had a different piano teacher, who told me my time was so ā€˜naturalā€™ !

Iā€™m more than happy to share all the things I love to do about time, theyā€™re easy and fun!

And YES to the beautiful piano playing and positive feelings! Thatā€™s the golden place!!

M

1 Like

Great stuff Megan - so bubbly, full of energy and sassy :smiley:

Keep it upā€¦ great to see - ā€œbeautiful piano playing and positive feelings is so important these days as so many musician look too serious when playingā€¦as smile or two goes along way!ā€.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul! I certainly am having the time of my life playing!

If youā€™re on FB please do feel free to tune into the show!

1 Like

Iā€™m very interested in any time exercises youā€™d care to share, Megan. Thanks!

@LoriNelson @keynut and anyone who likes!

Hi! Hereā€™s how I practice with my metronome! If you have any questions at all please donā€™t hesitate to ask.

I talk about practicing in increments of six minutes at a time, up to a max of 30 mins at once, but I can do as many sessions like that as I like per day, just with breaks to do do something totally different in between.

Happy clicking!!! Also I did this on an old bookcase, not on my piano!

M

https://youtu.be/rcR2ZKlAROk

4 Likes

Thank you Megan, I was doing something like this but I was clapping my hands but I see the benefit of the click sounding like the metronome click.! Much better!! 6 minute increments With 30 minute blocks makes sooo much sense for learning these bites! I appreciate what you shared.

1 Like

Hi Lori - I also dance all the time to work/play with time!

Dance feeling beats two and four!

I went to a vocal workshop where the teacher (Theo Bleckmann) suggested that singers step/press into their heels on 2 and 4 - so you transfer your weight one 1 and 3ā€¦itā€™s less fun to explain than to do, but itā€™s great.

Thanks for sharing these awesome tips Megan, very useful stuff.

I love the analogy of ā€œbouncing a basketballā€ and I think itā€™s a really nice way to convey the feeling of getting in a solid groove.

Cheers!
Hayden

2 Likes

My first ever jazz standard: The Nearness of You.

Itā€™s still rough around the edges but Iā€™m having so much fun with it. And Iā€™m already working on The Days of Wine and Roses. This time I decided to try to come up with my voicing first and then I see how Hayden did it. Itā€™s awesome to see that Iā€™m quite close most of the time :smiley:

https://youtu.be/3SKL1x_3Jj0

4 Likes

Well done, rem! Thanks for sharing. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Well done very smooth and nice

1 Like

nicely played Rem; I should re-visit that tune;

2 Likes

Yes! @rem That sounds really rich!

1 Like

Me too Hayden, thanks, itā€™s all from Mark Eisenman - you can feel the weight of the time in your hands- waves coming in is another one!

1 Like

Great job @rem :clap:

Yes I think itā€™s a great idea to move onto The Days Of Wine & Roses . As a new jazz student building out your repertoire of tunes should be a top priority.

Aim to learn a new tune each month - which might seem like a big task to start with - but the more tunes we learn, the quicker it becomes to learn new ones.

ps. We also have a more advanced arrangement of ā€œThe Nearness Of Youā€ - you can find that lesson here - perhaps something to check out in the not too distant future.

Cheers and thanks for sharing the performance!

2 Likes

Well done !! thanks @rem

1 Like