Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

@George_Miller - here are a couple of metronome apps for consideration:

Tempo:

I find this app simple and intuitive to use, which is what a metronome app should be.

DrumGenius:

This app is somewhat of a cross between a backing track and a metronome. There is no bass included in the tracks which makes it great for practicing left hand shuffle and walking bass lines. If you are working on our Chicago Blues, Boogie Woogie, or New Orleans Blues courses, this app is great for working on timing and groove.

The drum sounds and nuances have been carefully constructed to imitate the style of famous jazz drummers. If you download the app, you can choose 5 tracks for free if I remember correctly - so thereā€™s nothing to loose by trying it out - and then you must get the full version for access to the full library of drum sound and styles.

We have more info on it here:

1 Like

Very Creative! Love how you play around esp. at the end. And enjoyed the voicing movement.

The other side to hearing yourself play on a recording, is that sometimes things you thought were mistake, actually sound great. It can work both ways. Funny how different it is to listen passively, verses listen whilst playing. Iā€™m always surprised both pleasantly and not. Takes courage.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I have been getting loads of ideas off the tutorial videos and live feeds, and recently have been getting to know Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson through listening, playing videos, and watching Youtube videos. I created a short jazz composition in the style of Oscar Peterson, called ā€œIzzy Does Itā€, for piano, bass and drums (not played with live players yet!). I tried to do Oscar Peterson-style piano voicings, which are fun (if a little stretchy for my hands!). On this audio, there are no solos or da capo, just the head played through, jumping straight to the coda.

2 Likes

Izzy,

Thatā€™s sweet! Would you share with us your setup? Iā€™m curious about what keyboard you use, how you record, backing tracks, drum loops, etc. It sounds very good. Iā€™m just getting started with Logic Pro X and looking for ideas. Keep sharing. :musical_keyboard:

Hi Scott, thanks. This is just an export from MuseScore, where I notated everything. I am a Logic user as well and frequently record audio or use a MIDI interface to play into Logic, so feel free to ask any questions. For audio, I have a Scarlett microphone and audio interface. For software instruments, i.e. playing in a MIDI line, I use my Kawai digital keyboard, which plugs straight into my computer using USB A-B cable.

Nice composition @Izzy - and awesome how you created all of this in MuseScore.

Regrading stretchy voicingsā€¦ we can most often rearrange the notes into a smaller register of the piano if the original voicings are too much of a stretch.

Tuomo posted some useful tips here on hand position to avoid an injury when playing:

Alsoā€¦ An Upcoming Music Composition Seminar

Also on the topic of composition, we have a ā€œMusic Compositionā€ live seminar next week with Jovino, add the event to your calendar here if you are interested:

Thanks @Hayden. Iā€™m definitely interested in any composition-themed seminars, so hope I will be not be teaching for this next one ā€¦! If not Iā€™ll watch on catch-up. Look forward to it.

1 Like

That was so cool!

I could definitely hear Oscar Petersen there!

Aye,
George

Nice done ! this call and response btw bass and piano cool

Oh my Izzy. That was awesome. I love that stutter that you threw in there. I was like ā€œWhuuuu.ā€ Thanks for sharing what you have been exploring.

Kindly,
Adam

Hi all.

I attended Jovinoā€™s seminar on Brazilian rhythms a short time ago and have been working on Bossa Nova and the accents as he suggested. Iā€™m trying The Girl from Ipanema, The shadow of your smile, and Insensitive. Hereā€™s my attempt at the latter. In one of Jovinoā€™s lessons on this piece he mentions that Chopinā€™s prelude in E minor has much the same harmony, so I decided to put it in and see what it sounded like. (In D minor!). Youā€™re always more likely to murder a classical piece than succeed in jazz, so I give my apologies in advance!

2 Likes

Thanks George. Iā€™ve now Latinised it for a 3-horn ensemble; sounding less Oscar Peterson now!

Izzy

1 Like

Thanks Pierrot. I noticed that Oscar P likes to do piano/bass alternation, so this is my nod to that.

Thanks Adam. Yeah Oscar P does tremolos all over the place, and I love playing them, so it had to happen :slight_smile:

Izzy

@George_Miller oh my gosh!!! I love it! I have been trying that song (There will never beā€¦) and I am always stuck in the first page hahahaā€¦ I need to keep up and keep working on it. You on another note have done a very impressive version, Wowow! Gave me a BIG smile listening to it! Would have been nice to see your video toooooā€¦ listening to this made my day today! Thank you for sharing. :blush:

I was just listening to Insensitive too- (if thats the other audio you shared) I REALLY like it a LOT - is that available on PianoGroove too??? wow I would like to check it out! you did AMAZING!

1 Like

Wow @Izzy that was SUPER! sooo inspiring to listen to, am in cloud 9 listening to itā€¦ Awesome awesome work! :heart:

Thanks Kristeta! Both ā€œInsensatazā€ and ā€œthere will never beā€ have lessons associated with them. For some reason theyā€™re not listed under resources / jazz standard lessons but I know theyā€™re there! I downloaded the lead sheets!

Thanks for listening and Happy New Year!

My own criticism of this is that I donā€™t have the rhythm right yet. Iā€™m playing the right hand on the second beat of the bar instead of behind it, so it sounds too much like a march. And on the third and fourth beats, when I;m playing the melody, Iā€™m using quarter note triplets instead of sixteenths. Iā€™m not sure that belongs in Bossa Nova. So Iā€™ve still got a lot of work to do! Happy New Year all!

I love the medley you have created there @George_Miller.

Iā€™m a huge fan of both tunes, ā€œInsensatezā€ and Chopinā€™s Prelude Op.28 no 4 - what a nice idea to combine them in a medley! :clap:

@Kristeta yes we have 4 tutorials on ā€œInsensatezā€ - 3 by myself and 1 by Jovino.

Certainly defer to Jovinoā€™s tutorial for the more authentic interpretation!

ā€œInsensatezā€ tutorial by Jovino:

Jovino starts by analysing the form and harmony of the tune. We then play through the form again and apply a soft Bossa Nova/Samba groove to add a distinctly Brazilian flavour.

Finally Jovino demonstrates an improvised over the chord changes:

ā€œHow Insensitiveā€ tutorials by myself:

When I was creating these lessons I wanted to show ā€˜3 levelsā€™ or styles in which to interpret a Bossa Nova tune. I then combine all 3 to create a full arrangement:

Also I still must add lesson chapters to these tutorialsā€¦ added to my to-do-list!

Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks Hayden. Iā€™ve gone through these lessons again and although Iā€™ve incorporated some of the ideas into the piece thereā€™s a lot more I can do. Now that I have the rhythm (almost) in ny head Iā€™ll spend the next couple of weeks trying to make it into a proper solo.
Aye,
George

2 Likes