Share & Discover Vocal Recordings

1 Like

Ok, definitely love the Dee Dee version best, but they are all beautiful. Dee Dee just took that song next level for me. I haven’t performed that song since jazz school in Paris a million years ago, but I always wanted to bring it up to speed in my current repertoire. Sophie Milman’s version is more how I always heard it. But I love how Dee Dee really got out there with the vocals on it., and also how the trumpet interplayed with her voice. Made it brand new again.

Sidenote - First video of Cyrille Aimée is from Smalls in NYC and 2nd of Dee Dee is from BAM in Brooklyn. Nice to see scenes of the city that I haven’t been to in a few months now.

Can’t wait to hear your funky version Pierre. Thanks for sharing these.

Another haunting song for me those days is Dat Dere

Funny it cames back in my head , and was unable to remember which song it was. That kind of very unpleasant experience … you know it, but you cant remember the title … those days with years probably …and with even more tunes known … it comes more and more often :joy:

the version in my head comes from this old album , lovely one with the very special voice of Rickie (one of the album with some of Mingus that makes me wanna learn upright bass :wink: )

1 Like

Beautiful. Such a relaxing vibe, much needed!
I especially loved the song that started around 14:30.
Also the incredible piano at around 26. Wow!

Thanks for sharing!

Such a cute song! I’ve never heard it before. Went a totally different direction from what I expected by the intro. I like being surprised like that. And Rickie’s voice sounds so smooth. Very cool.

And yes, I feel like I’m always having trouble remembering song titles. I can remember lyrics and melodies much easier, but the title often escapes me. In fact, it’s totally normal for me to be in the middle of a situation where I need to call a tune, and that’s the exact moment my mind goes blank. My mind is always SO busy, but somehow when I need to retrieve a song title - my mind is clear as the blue sky. LOL Maybe many musicians find this to be true, especially with adding songs and years to the mix! Thank goodness for set lists and Thanks for sharing Pierre. I’m going to be listening to this one a few more times; might end up haunted by it as well.
Though it will have to compete with another song I’m getting an ear worm for - this Norah Jones cover - Peace by Horace Silver.
I like to listen to it at sunset…
https://youtu.be/fiY5QGpP2QQ

“Peace is for everyone”

Cheers! And happy music making…

• Lyndol

yeah love this version thks Lyndol to share it :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . forget it as lyrics, but i hear long time ago another singing version that i dont relate to it, will have to remember who :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful, Lyndol. Thanks for sharing. Have you been watching her quarantine YouTube stuff?

1 Like

i came accross this interview and interpretation from Diana Krall 11’30 to 15’ “but not for me”
very interesting and impressive. but the all spectacle his interesting too with Mc Bride on bass !
miam… miam

Hi Scott,

Yes, I’m loving her intimate home concerts. I haven’t seen them all yet, just saw she put one out as a Happy Birthday to Willie Nelson!

But this has been my favorite so far…

Cover of Patience
https://youtu.be/gcBesdU-Euw

I’m also wondering about her piano as it seems to have such high side boards. Sounds beautiful tho.

• Lyndol
1 Like

I just came across Agathe Iracema, a French/Brazilian vocalist. She’s absolutely amazing! Here are two tunes, “Favela” and “Between the Bars.” The latter is an Elliot Smith tune. Clearly shows how you can “jazzify” a pop/rock tune. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Hey Pierrot,
This is super cool. Honestly, Diana Krall and Elton John are probably 2 of my least favorite singing pianists out there today. Though I have mad respect for them, I never would have watched it on my own. But I really enjoyed this, especially Diana’s playing. Wow! This was way more interesting than I could have thought, so thanks for sharing it! I’m glad I did watch it.
I loved when she talked about But Not for Me! It’s a standard that I’ve been wanting to get in my repertoire for a while. I noticed I liked the upbeat version better, so maybe that’s the direction I’ll head. It was inspiring to hear how deeply she thinks into her interpretations, seeing songs as mini plays.
I also really really liked her solo on Exactly Like You around 19 min mark. SO cool.
And of coarse - the Joni Mitchell song! That’s one of my favs too.
Finally - Night Train unplanned with Christian McBride (and Kareem Gibbons? on Drums.) She’s a phenom! And they were having so much fun.
This is a great find. Feeling very inspired to get to work on the piano. Appreciate it Pierrot.

• Lyndol

@scott1

Ok, what? This was AMAZING! I can not believe this Agathe Iracema - she is so lovely and so fierce at the same time! Especially when she solos, I’m completely captured.
I loved the groove that got going around 3:20 - I couldn’t help but dance for the whole rest of the tune. Didn’t see it coming! Love it!
And the Elliot Smith is just so beautiful.
Just did a little research on her, and found this video from Le Baise Salé back in 2009 when I was in Paris studying Jazz and going to jams. So cool to think she was on the scene then. And cool to see how she’s evolved, but was ever so captivating even then.

https://youtu.be/YjqHkwHTRPY

I think I would remember seeing her. What a beautiful and unique artist. Thanks for sharing!

BTW - Have you see any recent videos for hers, online concerts?

PS - @Pierrot I was thinking of buying one of her albums, and found that she has Dat Dere on her album Believe in Romance. I’d love to hear her version of that Song! Probably gonna buy it, just too curious.

• Lyndol
1 Like

Lyndol,

There are a few videos out there, but I haven’t seen anything recent. I’m sure you’ve already found this, but the only album I’ve seen is the Agathe Jazz Quartet Feeling Alive (Bauer Studios GMBH 2014). The jam was nice. Thanks.

1 Like

yes very Interesting :slight_smile:

Agathe on Favela … yeah great performance ! thks scott

1 Like

Lyndol,

I keep stumbling across foreign (to me) singers. So here’s Anna Maria Jopek , a Polish vocalist who is as lovely as her voice. She’s recorded with Pat Metheny and collaborated with a number of outstanding musicians, including Bobby McFerrin, Ivan Lins, Youssou N’Dour, Makoto Ozone.

These two tunes could as easily have been placed in the piano section. They’re from Minione (Universal Polska 2017), a duo with Gonzalo Rubalcaba on piano. The first is “Twe Ulsta Klamia”; the second “Rebeka.” I think you’ll like them. :musical_keyboard:

So very delicate! Her singing is so very elegant. And sultry! It’s the kinda voice that can put you in a spell.

How are you finding all these great vocalist? I’m very thankful, so nice to have my horizons broadened. So much talent is out there!

How I find stuff:

I’m an Apple fan-geezer :sunglasses:. Using Apple Music, I check out the jazz vocal section daily. I usually practice for an hour or two, then finish out my bottle of wine listening for another hour or so. :partying_face:.

Sounds like the perfect routine! Cheers~

Here’s another contemporary tune that you might like, “When an Angel Sheds a Feather.” It’s from Gerald Clayton’s Life Forum (2013 Concord Music Group). I was revisiting his albums and thought this tune might be of interest here. It includes this duet with Sachal Vasandani and Gretchen Parlato. Clayton is a fine pianist and composer. I saw him live in October 2019 with John Scofield. Parlato is a favorite of mine, though some might think her too breathy. Check out Gretchen Parlato: Live in NYC (2013 OBLIQSOUND). It’s also cool knowing that her dad was a bass player with Frank Zappa :sunglasses:. Enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes