Share & Discover Vocal Recordings

Here’s a French, 30-something vocalist from Paris, Lou Tavano. Her album For You (ACT 2016) is all originals from what I can tell, with the pianist writing the music and her “telling the stories” as she puts it somewhere I was reading. All but a few are in English. It’s really worth checking out on whatever music service you have or on YouTube. The first video below is from that album. (It was hard to decide which video to share.) The second is with a different group with her singing in French. Some of her other videos follow the second video if you’re interested. I’m really taken with her voice. Enjoy. :headphones:

2 Likes

Small world. I know Lou (Lucy) - we were in school together at The American School of Modern Music in Paris.
Her versions of Black Coffee and Caravan that she would perform at jams at Cafe Universel, they stayed with me all these years. Her voice inspired me to open up my low end, as she has one of the richest low tone and control I’ve ever heard in person. Makes me think of Ella, but it’s totally different. Not an imitation in any way. Especially when you hear Lou in person; it just gives me chills thinking of it.
Thanks so much for posting these. I have this album, but have never seen the vids. The first one especially is so amazing! So beautiful and creative. And it’s amazing to see her and Alexy (her pianist and partner) playing out these roles. They are pretty good actors as well! So much talent and class.
They are both just the kindest people. And what they are offering in their music and expression - impeccable.
Viva Lou Tavano! I hope to see her perform in person again one of these days.

1 Like

Thanks @scott1 Scott for all this lovely singers discovery… with great comping all … the bass players and bass recordings are all wonderful …
Little Butterfly is really sweet adorable song … my first discovering was with one of my favourite singer Carmen Mc Rae on the great album Carmen sings Monk gorgeous version …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhRvIh6opDQ

1 Like

Interesting that you went to school with Lou Tavano! They don’t seem to have any other albums, but I did notice that they seem to have quite a few gigs lined up, starting the new year in Morocco.

1 Like

Pierre, that is a very fine version indeed.

ye and they are now both teacher in The American School of Modern Music in Paris.

1 Like

@scott1 - I know they have a 2nd album in the works, but I guess it’s not been announced yet when it will be released.

Lyndol, I remember in a thread some time ago, you mentioned that you were working on a version of Dolly Parton’s “Jolene.” I believe we were talking about a John Scofield cover. (I tried to find the thread but couldn’t, so I posted here.) At any rate, here’s a version that I came across yesterday by Sara Gazarek that might interest you. The arrangement was written by Geoff Keezer. It’s on a very fine album, Thirsty Ghost (MRI 2019). Several of her other tunes on the album follow, if you’re interested. [And on a side note, I’ve been listening to Lou Tavano’s new album Uncertain Weather.] :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Hey Scott,
Hope things are going well for you. I have heard many versions of Jolene and nothing like this. Typically they involved some element of bluegrass from at least a strumming guitar to harmonies. But this is neat - very creative and excellent players. It’s hardly recognizable, though the melody and lyrics are there. Goes to show how much chords and arrangement affect a song. Though I think the copyright, at least in the US, only involves the melody/lyrics. She’s a great singer, I enjoyed her voice. And will check out more.
Re Lou Tavano: I was wondering if you had checked out Uncertain Weather and/or seen them at Duc De Lombards? Looks like they are getting some great press. I haven’t checked it out myself yet but I’ll do that now. What do you think?

Hi Lyndol,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I like Tavano’s new album. It seems to be shifting a bit more toward pop rather than jazz. Yesterday, I came across a singer/pianist who is new to me, Kandace Springs. I listened to her third album, The Women Who Raised Me (Blue Note 2020), and I’m quite impressed, both with her vocals and with her piano. The album is all covers of the women she listened to while growing up and shaping her style. Larry Klein produced it. [He’s got an ear for vocalists. His ex-wife is Joni Mitchell, and he’s currently married to Luciana Souza. :sunglasses:] You probably already are familiar with her, but I thought I’d share a couple of tunes. She’s really good. The first is “Angel Eyes,” an Ella Fitzgerald tune that she sings with Norah Jones backing. The second is a cover of Billie Holiday’s “Strange Fruit.” Hope you enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Re: Kandace Springs - Oh man, she has an amazing voice~ And her accompaniment on Strange Fruit is beautiful - all those descending chromatics chord progressions.
I like that she has R&B and soul sounds in addition to a truly beautiful Jazz Voice complete with a sweet, sweet high end range. Wow, thanks for the intro to her talent.
Yes, it does sound like Larry Klein knows a good voice. And it’s an interesting duet with Norah - especially the outro - loved it.
I’ve been doing a deep dive into Nina Simone and Norah Jones for some upcoming tutorials here on Pianogroove. This recording of I Loves You Porgy - Nina’s first hit - oh man. It’s been on my mind for weeks now. My quarantine song, if you will:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5A0YadWKs
It’s interesting to hear in relation to Bill Evan’s interpretation…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPYquYiKBw
And also Keith Jarret’s…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3D8Ri84hmw

Hope all is well for you and your music is prospering. Thanks again for sharing.
Lyndol

Such a beautiful tune.

With regard to Bill Evans, when his bassist Scott LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident at 25, “[a]ccording to Paul Motian, the death of LaFaro left Bill Evans ‘numb with grief’, ‘in a state of shock’, and ‘like a ghost’. Obsessively he played “I Loves You Porgy”, a song which had become synonymous with him and LaFaro. Evans stopped performing for several months.”

Indeed!

Yes I read something similar, and that after LaFaro’s death, Evans only played that tune solo piano and not in a trio format, as a homage to LaFaro.

If I remember correctly, I read that he did eventually perform the tune again in an ensemble setting, but it has been a while since I read Evans’ biography so perhaps I’m mistaken. I’ll have to take a deep dive through his discography to find the answer.

Interestingly, on Evans’ album “Bill Evans At Montreux Jazz Festival” he does play that tune solo piano and all other tracks on that album except the bonus track are trio performances with Eddie Gómez and Jack DeJohnette.

Here’s his solo version of “I Loves You Porgy” from that album:

and full album link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2tNmQW9QvI&list=PL0q2VleZJVEkQc1XapvN_wibv69R2XmBP&index=1

Looking forward to seeing your tutorials on this tune @Lyndol

Cheers.

1 Like

Oh that’s so interesting! I read about Scott LaFaro in an Evan’s biography a while back; knowing how special this song was for those two - wow brings a whole new dimension to it. Adds another layer of depth to listening to this solo version from Montreux - so so beautiful and complex; knowing his history really enhances the emotional expression.

In other news, I introduced Kandace Springs to a student of mine this week and I think she’ll be a great inspiration for her and other students of mine. So thanks again for sharing that as well.

I came across this version of Nearness of You by Kandace - a song I’ll be covering from the Norah Jones perspective in a tutorial soon, but I fell in love with the soft touch of Kandace’s on this video. I love such powerful subtly in both the voice and piano. Norah and Kandace both seem to be masters of this - but in such different ways.

1 Like

Lyndol,
You probably are already familiar with René Marie, but I wanted to make sure. She’s amazing. Quit her job at 42 and decided to dedicate herself to composing and performing. Here are a couple of tunes, an original,“The South is Mine,” and a haunting juxtaposition of “Dixie/Strange Fruit.” Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

:heart_eyes: Yeah such a deep song Nina Porgy"s version still in every mind and one of my favourite even such giant pianists give their own … that’s one reason i keep it everytime for tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Scott,

I hadn’t heard of Rene Marie, nor even any stories like hers on the jazz scene. Love how out of the box she, not only with her insistence on originals but how she portrays the standards she does. So very cool and very creative. She’s truly unique and seems to have made a great career - not easy to do these days! What an anomaly!
Thanks for sharing another great jazz treasure Scott. She’s scheduled to be at the Jazz Standard later this month. If NYC opens back up by then, I’ll going to see her. She is a tour de force!

Deep is the right word for sure. Endlessly deep.

I can see why all the greats do a version.

I’m coming out of my obsession with it, but I was under it’s spell for all of March and April. A song hasn’t gripped me like that in awhile.

thanks Lyndol we will wait your version with even more interest . Keep going !

Looking for a version of Love for sale in a funky way google point to cyrille Aimée
here with brilliant partners wow this bass

and DeeDee Bridgewater

will have to play this song in a funkyn way i cant resist )