Share & Discover Vocal Recordings

Veronica - FANTASTIC!!! Another good find. I love the soloing in Social Call, as well as Christian Mc Bride on Bass. These guys are already in the jazz inner circle at such a young age and for good reason. Their technique is out of this world.
I like her original I’m Hip - it’s funny. And I also like how the pianist Emmet Cohen goes into super fast stride playing at times. I’m going to check out his trio more.
Thanks for sharing these Scott

She’s new to me too. This is really beautiful. Apparently she is well known in Korea and Japan.
I like some of her covers of Rock/Pop. Check out this Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - it’s really hip (to borrow the term from Veronica Swift:) Super slow with slide guitar and some very interesting piano!
https://youtu.be/Imev0CCMyRs

Are you a producer to have such many good things in your pocket , You really should think to create some radio program , I will be your first listener :slight_smile:
Thanks @scott1

here s one from my favourite singer

2 Likes

Oh love it! Cecile has such a range, from deep rich low, to interesting jazz soprano. I like this arrangement too, the way the first and last theme are played sparsely with the piano chording only on 2’s and 4’s. Lovely!
Also, in the pianist solo - around 2.35 he goes into the most interesting patterning, like 3rd’s in right hand, and not sure with left, it’s very fast and sounds Bach like to me. There was a thread a while back about improvising in classical style and I’m wondering if this is an example? I’ll have to defer to those who would know more bout this. But I loved that in his solo, especially because it was juxtaposed with a more traditional solo before and after. Created an interesting moment. She seemed to really enjoy it too.
And the band was smiling ear to ear when they went back into the sparse arrangement for the last theme. Oh the joy of music!

What a great version of the Otis Redding hit! (I saw him perform the week before he died.)

1 Like

Well, that’s super cool that you got to see him live! He’s one of my all time favy favs!

Lyndol,

I’d discovered Tuomo’s work on YouTube and then Apple Music, so I thought I’d check you out too. :sunglasses:. So now I’ve your Reach Up and All Love ready to listen to. Actually, I’ve listened to quite a bit of it, and there’s some really great stuff there.

After hearing what you do, I thought you might like these tunes from Aimee Nolte. She’s West Coast and a bit older with grown children (as you hear in the lyrics on “Falling Snow”). The album is Looking for the Answers.

2 Likes

Oh Yes, Her music is lovely! Very mature and unabashedly beautiful.

Thanks for checking out my music. I actually just released a live trio album I’d recommend.

or

All Love and Reach Up are self produced with almost all electronic instruments (other than the voice). The trio album shows how the songs evolve with real instruments in a live setting. Then I’m hoping to get in to do a real studio album in 2020. I’m working on 9 more songs, as we speak, to release electronically like All Love and Reach Up. It will be called I Dared.
Then I’ll take the best of those songs (6or7) into the studio with my trio for a vinyl album. It’s been a long work in progress, but I guess I’m more like the tortoise than the hare.
I LOVE Tuomo’s music. I saw his Quartet play a few weeks ago at Smalls, and it was incredible. I believe it was for a new album.
Do you compose Scott? And do you have music out?

No, I’m just a retired English prof that’s returned to music after nearly 40 years away from it. I did have a union card from age 15 to 25. (You couldn’t play gigs in the Shreveport/Bossier area without one. :sunglasses:) I am interested in trying out some original stuff in Logic Pro one of these days.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I work out of Logic Pro myself. As an English Prof, I’m imaging you like to write lyrics as well? Or do you do instrumentals only?

That’s so great you came back to music. Must make it all the more sweet!

I was listening to some of Chet Baker’s discography last night and I’m a big fan of his albums “Chet Baker Sings” and “It Could Happen To You”.

His vocals and trumpet playing complement each other beautifully.

Here’s a couple of my favourites:

Chet Baker - “But Not For Me”

Chet Baker - “The More I See You”

Both albums are definitely worth a listen.

1 Like

I am enchanted by the voice of this Albanian artist, Elina Duni. She’s studied classical music and jazz formally, and now she’s focused on the folk tradition from her region. Her last album is Partir (ECM 2018). It’s just her and either the piano or the guitar and sometimes a drum. It’s interesting. The first video is a sample of that album with her on piano. The second is from some concert with her on guitar. The third is an old classic. Sorry for maybe too many videos, but she’s really good. Enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Wow, what a voice! So beautiful and so powerful. And I really love her piano accompaniment on the first video. Such delicate and beautiful touches.
I really respect her focus on the Folk Music of her culture - Folk Music holds the tradition and connection of it’s community sacred above all else. Bringing her level of musicianship to this endeavor is enchanting and inspiring. Humbling too. And her voice is just so unique and telling. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve never heard that 2nd song before - The More I See You. What a great song! I love how his voice sounds imperfect and quirky, almost behind rhythm at times. But then it just sounds so sincere and silky.
I like his version of But Not For Me - the upbeat vibes makes it less depressing. I’ve been working on this one for years but never polished it. I like this key though (I think it’s Db), so I might try it here, one whole step lower than I’ve sung it. Such a good vibe despite the lyrics! Love it.
Maybe we can add this to our rehearsal play list.

I came across this Joni Mitchell Show yesterday. And wow!
I had recently read in the book ‘This Is Your Brain on Music’ by Daniel J Levitin about Joni Mitchell’s songwriting. She spoke directly to the author at a diner party about how Jaco Pastorius was a pain to work with but was the only bassist who understood her music.

The reason being in his view; “Joni’s genius is that she creates chords that are ambiguous, chords that could have two or more roots. When there is no root bass playing along with her guitar, the listener is left in a state of expansive aesthetic possibilities… Musicians and even non musicians can write and rewrite in their minds a multitude of musical interpretations. In this sense, Joni’s music is as close to impressionist visual art as anything I’ve heard.”

Apparently most bassist wanted to just figure out the root and get on with it, but this actually limits her music which is largely configured thru unconventional guitar tunings.

“The Brilliance of Jaco ,according to Joni, 'is that he instinctively knew to wander around the possibility space, reinforcing the different chords interpretations with equal emphasis, sublimely holding the ambiguity in a delicate, suspended balance.”

I found all this so fascinating and then came across this recording with a Young Jaco Pastorius, Young Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker AND Lyle Mays on the keys (though not pictured much). It’s simply divine!

Favorite moments involve a Jaco Solo @ 26min where he uses a loop as well an incredible moment in Brecker’s solo @ 1:13 where Jaco hits it on the bass.

I’ve always heard a bit of Be-Bop influence in Joni’s singing, but really she just nailed her very own sound. So did the other musicians on stage with her for this performance, in my opinion. They all are so unique and complete in their sound, it could only be genius.

https://youtu.be/bLKb9Ms68ME

2 Likes

Lyndol, this is a brilliant set. I’d never heard it before. I enjoyed your quotes from the book. There really is no one quite like Joni Mitchell. So many incredible albums, like Blue and Court and Spark. And for sure you’ve listened to Herbie Hancock’s The Joni Letters, with Wayne Shorter, Leonard Cohen, Norah Jones, and Luciana Souza. Tierney Sutton has a great cover album, After Blue (2013) that I recommend. I’ve been listening to Mitchell since her album Ladies of the Canyon (1970). And this lineup? Could it get any better? The Brecker Brothers, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Metheny? Damn it’s sweet. All in all, a great find! Thanks!

1 Like

And here’s someone new for me, Cheryl Bentyne. From reading her bio, I’m sure she’s not new to you. This is “Little Butterfly” from Talk of the Town (2003). According to the AllMusic website, the song ". . . consists of lyrics by Jon Hendricks set to the Thelonious Monk composition “Pannonica”. It’s a fine tune by a lady with a fine voice.

And among her sidemen are none other than Kenny Barron: piano; John Patitucci: bass; Lewis Nash: drums. Nice company. :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Here’s another singer who’s new to me, Sara Dowling, a Brit for whom I can’t find much information. I like the arrangement here. I can imagine her singing “A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square,”

2 Likes

Oh I love this song! Her voice is really lovely, she sounds much older than she is.
Right after, there is a super fast version of My Favorite Things, not my favorite take on that song, but interesting none the less.

Little Butterfly, Cheryl Bentyne; I listened to this a while back when you posted it, but I just noticed I didn’t respond. I do like this! I normally am not a fan of Hendricks Lyrics set to songs, but this is lovely. Her voice is so smooth and soothing.