Share & Discover Vocal Recordings

Hey Scott, So I checked out Gretchen Parlato: Live in NYC - like it! I can hear the breathiness, but doesn’t bother me. Seems part of the expression, like with Weak -she sounds out of breath to start, which totally conveys the passion of the lyrics.
She’s interesting. And oh, man, I like the pianist, Taylor Eigsti. Also, it’s at Rockwood Music Hall, my favorite venue in NYC.

https://youtu.be/VH1jGK8MkOs

And When An Angel Sheds a Feather - so etherial and elegant. Maybe my favorite part is the artwork tho - wow! Just Gorgeous. I’ll check out more by him as well. He’s got something.

I’ve been so busy for the past few weeks preparing for recitals that are over just now. Yay! I get to relax a bit finally, but wanted to let you know that listening to this music has been a nice way to stay relaxed in the busy times. Thanks for sharing more great artist, as always.

• Lyndol
1 Like

Lyndol,

I agree, Taylor Eigsti is something. I saw him live last year with Kendrick Scott. He grew up with Dave Brubeck’s kids as neighbors. Fun fact: “When Taylor Eigsti was twelve, his idol, Dave Brubeck, told the world that Taylor was the most amazing talent he’d ever seen.” I read somewhere that he started teaching at the Stanford Jazz Workshop when he was 15.

Here’s another you might like. It’s from Tierney Sutton. Her band is incredible, and with Christian Jacob on piano . . . ? It doesn’t get any better. All her albums are great. After Blue, a tribute to Joni Mitchell, is especially nice. (Let the video feed continue and you get some more. Let it go for a song or two, and you’ll enjoy her cover of Sting’s “Fragile.” :wine_glass:)

3 Likes

That’s so interesting about Taylor Eigsti - that Dave Brubeck said that about him, and I hadn’t even heard of him til you introduced us. I’ll have to do a deeper dive into his works.
I like Tierney Sutton. AND YES, doesn’t get better than her band. Love their Fly Me to the Moon interpretation. I especially like how Christian Jacob plays the melody under her voice - makes the 7/4 feel even more pronounced. Fun.
I’ll keep listening thru the video feed… the Sting Cover sounds like it could be very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

cool interpretation and arrangement
Christian Mc Bride on Bass , Steve Gadd Drums, Gil Goldstein on electric piano

i cant resist i transcribe the bass part and the piano part … and sing it in my bathroom :wink:

2 Likes

Really sweet! Thanks for sharing Pierrot.

I was fiddling around with “I Thought About You” (Van Heusen/Mercer 1939), and looking for different versions came across this session with Mal Waldron and Jeanne Lee. I’d never heard of her before, and I knew of Maldron by name only. It was a pleasant surprise. That led me to check out more about her.

Her first record–a duet with pianist Ran Blake, both recent graduates from Bard College–was The Newest Sound Around (RCA Victor 1961), thanks to winning a competition at the Apollo Theatre. On the original front cover is this interesting blurb: “If there’s going to be a ‘new wave’ in jazz styling . . . this voice, this piano may well be the beginning.”

There’s an interesting article on that album and on Lee and Blake here, if you’re interested:

An interesting aside: Jimmy Van Heusen (whose real name was Edward Chester Babcock; he took his name from the brand of dress shirts) had another side:

During World War II, while writing songs for Hollywood movies, he was also doing dangerous work as a fighter test pilot. . . . “He would work from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m., five days a week, going over to the Lockheed plant, flying these airplanes on behalf of the Air Force,” Babcock says. “And then, from 2 o’clock onward, he was writing songs.”

[Sorry for going on and on. I guess the academic in me keeps me chasing after tangentially related stuff. :sunglasses:]

At any rate, here’s that version of "“I Thought About You.” It may have been her last performance. It was recorded in 2000, the year of her death at 61 from cancer. Followed by a version of “Laura” from the the above-mentioned album. If you let it continue, “Summertime” and various tunes from the album follow.

If you’re really interested, the full album is here:

2 Likes

long time not hearing this very unique sound … was looking for their works long time ago thks scott

1 Like

Jazzmeia Horn’s another lady that sings so sweetly. “Coming from a poor family in Dallas, Texas, and moving to New York City for college to earning Grammy nominations for each of the full-length albums she’s released so far,” this 29-year-old is well worth a listen. Enjoy :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Scott.

I love the vocals and piano accompaniment on “The Peacocks” - it would be great to cover that tune for solo piano.

2 Likes

Re: The Newest Sound Around - Very Dramatic! Her voice is so unique and understated… I find it very relaxing. But Ran Blake’s piano and the tempo are so very full of slow, aching drama - fascinating! It’s a cool juxtaposition and a sound I wasn’t familiar with at all. Thanks for sharing this.
Also, that’s inspiring about Van Heusen - what focus to go from Fighter Pilot to Composer. I often find my song writing is the last thing I get to in my musical routine… gets pushed to the back burner a lot. I’ve been aiming to make it more of a priority in my playing and career for a while. His story obliterates all my excuses. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Thanks for the inspiration. Cheers!
PS - how is your version of “I Thought of You” coming along?

Re: Jazzmeia Horn… What strength in her voice! I never would have thought she was 29. She has the authority of a seasoned Diva. Very powerful!

In particular I liked her “I thought about you” especially her improv. I love how her voice gets a little rusty in spots in contrast to this laser clarity in both low and high ranges. What a talent! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Betty Carter brilliance.

3 Likes

Mmmmm, that’s just nice! Thanks for sharing keynut. I knew the name but had never really heard her before.

The Peacoks ! yes for sure ! one of my favourite tune … +1 waiting to hear your version !!

1 Like

Nnena Freelon is new to me, though she’s been around for some time. She first recorded in her late 30’s and has worked with Ray Charles, Ellis Marsalis, Al Jarreau, Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin, Dianne Reeves, Diana Krall, Ramsey Lewis, George Benson, Clark Terry, Herbie Hancock, and Terence Blanchard. Here are a couple of tunes. The first is from a tribute to Stevie Wonder, “All in Love is Fair,” from Tales of Wonder (2002). The second is from Maiden Voyage (1998). The title song’s lyrics were written by Herbie Hancock’s sister Jean. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Nnena Freelon - Beautiful! I especially loved Maiden Voyage. So powerful and inspiring. Gives me courage to step out and start something new! Love it! Needed to hear that today, so thanks!

Betty Carter Brilliance is right! And just So much fun! Thanks for sharing @keynut

Hey @Pierrot - I missed this post. I LOVE Liz Wright and this is a very different voice that I’ve associated with her. Interesting and beautiful. That’s cool you transcribed it.

This is my all time favorite of Afro Blue by Liz Wright from Salt. This song is how I became a fan of pianist Danilo Perez …

https://youtu.be/2qFBKjHyFBs

I love how she sings the simple melody over the end of his solo! Dreamy!

Many years ago I got to see Liz W live in Paris. And separately I saw Danilo Perez play a few times. He’s played with everyone. Quite the talent and I love his touch. Good memories - thanks for posting.

1 Like

Billie Eilish is out with her latest, “My Future.” Never thought I would mention her here, but this tune definitely draws on the harmonies of the Great American Songbook. Is this her future style? At any rate, despite being its mainstream pop, I could easily see this being included with a jazz piano trio plus vocal. Enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Here’s Fleurine, a Dutch vocalist, who just happens to be married to Brad Mehldau. Here’s “Passion~Auscencia de Paixao.” I’ve been checking out Latin-based tunes and stumbled across this. Thought it might be of interest. You get a (maybe) new vocalist and Mehldau thrown into the mix. Enjoy :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes