Share & Discover Vocal Recordings

Hi Lyndol,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I like Tavano’s new album. It seems to be shifting a bit more toward pop rather than jazz. Yesterday, I came across a singer/pianist who is new to me, Kandace Springs. I listened to her third album, The Women Who Raised Me (Blue Note 2020), and I’m quite impressed, both with her vocals and with her piano. The album is all covers of the women she listened to while growing up and shaping her style. Larry Klein produced it. [He’s got an ear for vocalists. His ex-wife is Joni Mitchell, and he’s currently married to Luciana Souza. :sunglasses:] You probably already are familiar with her, but I thought I’d share a couple of tunes. She’s really good. The first is “Angel Eyes,” an Ella Fitzgerald tune that she sings with Norah Jones backing. The second is a cover of Billie Holiday’s “Strange Fruit.” Hope you enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Re: Kandace Springs - Oh man, she has an amazing voice~ And her accompaniment on Strange Fruit is beautiful - all those descending chromatics chord progressions.
I like that she has R&B and soul sounds in addition to a truly beautiful Jazz Voice complete with a sweet, sweet high end range. Wow, thanks for the intro to her talent.
Yes, it does sound like Larry Klein knows a good voice. And it’s an interesting duet with Norah - especially the outro - loved it.
I’ve been doing a deep dive into Nina Simone and Norah Jones for some upcoming tutorials here on Pianogroove. This recording of I Loves You Porgy - Nina’s first hit - oh man. It’s been on my mind for weeks now. My quarantine song, if you will:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5A0YadWKs
It’s interesting to hear in relation to Bill Evan’s interpretation…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRPYquYiKBw
And also Keith Jarret’s…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3D8Ri84hmw

Hope all is well for you and your music is prospering. Thanks again for sharing.
Lyndol

Such a beautiful tune.

With regard to Bill Evans, when his bassist Scott LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident at 25, “[a]ccording to Paul Motian, the death of LaFaro left Bill Evans ‘numb with grief’, ‘in a state of shock’, and ‘like a ghost’. Obsessively he played “I Loves You Porgy”, a song which had become synonymous with him and LaFaro. Evans stopped performing for several months.”

Indeed!

Yes I read something similar, and that after LaFaro’s death, Evans only played that tune solo piano and not in a trio format, as a homage to LaFaro.

If I remember correctly, I read that he did eventually perform the tune again in an ensemble setting, but it has been a while since I read Evans’ biography so perhaps I’m mistaken. I’ll have to take a deep dive through his discography to find the answer.

Interestingly, on Evans’ album “Bill Evans At Montreux Jazz Festival” he does play that tune solo piano and all other tracks on that album except the bonus track are trio performances with Eddie Gómez and Jack DeJohnette.

Here’s his solo version of “I Loves You Porgy” from that album:

and full album link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2tNmQW9QvI&list=PL0q2VleZJVEkQc1XapvN_wibv69R2XmBP&index=1

Looking forward to seeing your tutorials on this tune @Lyndol

Cheers.

1 Like

Oh that’s so interesting! I read about Scott LaFaro in an Evan’s biography a while back; knowing how special this song was for those two - wow brings a whole new dimension to it. Adds another layer of depth to listening to this solo version from Montreux - so so beautiful and complex; knowing his history really enhances the emotional expression.

In other news, I introduced Kandace Springs to a student of mine this week and I think she’ll be a great inspiration for her and other students of mine. So thanks again for sharing that as well.

I came across this version of Nearness of You by Kandace - a song I’ll be covering from the Norah Jones perspective in a tutorial soon, but I fell in love with the soft touch of Kandace’s on this video. I love such powerful subtly in both the voice and piano. Norah and Kandace both seem to be masters of this - but in such different ways.

1 Like

Lyndol,
You probably are already familiar with René Marie, but I wanted to make sure. She’s amazing. Quit her job at 42 and decided to dedicate herself to composing and performing. Here are a couple of tunes, an original,“The South is Mine,” and a haunting juxtaposition of “Dixie/Strange Fruit.” Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

:heart_eyes: Yeah such a deep song Nina Porgy"s version still in every mind and one of my favourite even such giant pianists give their own … that’s one reason i keep it everytime for tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Scott,

I hadn’t heard of Rene Marie, nor even any stories like hers on the jazz scene. Love how out of the box she, not only with her insistence on originals but how she portrays the standards she does. So very cool and very creative. She’s truly unique and seems to have made a great career - not easy to do these days! What an anomaly!
Thanks for sharing another great jazz treasure Scott. She’s scheduled to be at the Jazz Standard later this month. If NYC opens back up by then, I’ll going to see her. She is a tour de force!

Deep is the right word for sure. Endlessly deep.

I can see why all the greats do a version.

I’m coming out of my obsession with it, but I was under it’s spell for all of March and April. A song hasn’t gripped me like that in awhile.

thanks Lyndol we will wait your version with even more interest . Keep going !

Looking for a version of Love for sale in a funky way google point to cyrille Aimée
here with brilliant partners wow this bass

and DeeDee Bridgewater

will have to play this song in a funkyn way i cant resist )

1 Like

Ok, definitely love the Dee Dee version best, but they are all beautiful. Dee Dee just took that song next level for me. I haven’t performed that song since jazz school in Paris a million years ago, but I always wanted to bring it up to speed in my current repertoire. Sophie Milman’s version is more how I always heard it. But I love how Dee Dee really got out there with the vocals on it., and also how the trumpet interplayed with her voice. Made it brand new again.

Sidenote - First video of Cyrille Aimée is from Smalls in NYC and 2nd of Dee Dee is from BAM in Brooklyn. Nice to see scenes of the city that I haven’t been to in a few months now.

Can’t wait to hear your funky version Pierre. Thanks for sharing these.

Another haunting song for me those days is Dat Dere

Funny it cames back in my head , and was unable to remember which song it was. That kind of very unpleasant experience … you know it, but you cant remember the title … those days with years probably …and with even more tunes known … it comes more and more often :joy:

the version in my head comes from this old album , lovely one with the very special voice of Rickie (one of the album with some of Mingus that makes me wanna learn upright bass :wink: )

1 Like

Beautiful. Such a relaxing vibe, much needed!
I especially loved the song that started around 14:30.
Also the incredible piano at around 26. Wow!

Thanks for sharing!

Such a cute song! I’ve never heard it before. Went a totally different direction from what I expected by the intro. I like being surprised like that. And Rickie’s voice sounds so smooth. Very cool.

And yes, I feel like I’m always having trouble remembering song titles. I can remember lyrics and melodies much easier, but the title often escapes me. In fact, it’s totally normal for me to be in the middle of a situation where I need to call a tune, and that’s the exact moment my mind goes blank. My mind is always SO busy, but somehow when I need to retrieve a song title - my mind is clear as the blue sky. LOL Maybe many musicians find this to be true, especially with adding songs and years to the mix! Thank goodness for set lists and Thanks for sharing Pierre. I’m going to be listening to this one a few more times; might end up haunted by it as well.
Though it will have to compete with another song I’m getting an ear worm for - this Norah Jones cover - Peace by Horace Silver.
I like to listen to it at sunset…
https://youtu.be/fiY5QGpP2QQ

“Peace is for everyone”

Cheers! And happy music making…

• Lyndol

yeah love this version thks Lyndol to share it :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . forget it as lyrics, but i hear long time ago another singing version that i dont relate to it, will have to remember who :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful, Lyndol. Thanks for sharing. Have you been watching her quarantine YouTube stuff?

1 Like

i came accross this interview and interpretation from Diana Krall 11’30 to 15’ “but not for me”
very interesting and impressive. but the all spectacle his interesting too with Mc Bride on bass !
miam… miam

Hi Scott,

Yes, I’m loving her intimate home concerts. I haven’t seen them all yet, just saw she put one out as a Happy Birthday to Willie Nelson!

But this has been my favorite so far…

Cover of Patience
https://youtu.be/gcBesdU-Euw

I’m also wondering about her piano as it seems to have such high side boards. Sounds beautiful tho.

• Lyndol
1 Like