New recommended Real Book

Is the new real book Hayden is using for charts available electronically and is there a way to still be able to markup songs without printing paper copy? I have Real Book 6th edition but in paper form.
Best
Eric
Los Angeles

Hi Eric,

I found the realbook 6th edition via this link.

I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

Regards,
Ariel.

1 Like

@enhowland

You might also check out what’s on offer from Sher Music:

I only use digital lead sheets/transcriptions. I use PDF Expert for markup. It’s an Apple app available on all devices (iOS, iPadOS, Mac). With some practice, you can easily mark sections, add comments about parts that require further attention, make notes about specific chord change information, and just note whatever you find useful. It works with Apple Pencil, but I’ve always found regular typing sufficient.

If you can afford it, I’d recommend the 13-inch iPad Pro model. PDF files of lead sheets/transcriptions appear at the same size as most books. And you can easily zoom in on problem areas. (Especially nice for old eyes.)

Hope this helps. :musical_keyboard:

The Chuck Sher books that Scott recommends (“New Real Book”, vol 1-3) are excellent, but do not completely overlap with the Hal Leonard real books (Real Book Vol 1 6th ed, Real Book Vol 2 and Vol 3, both 2nd editions).

pdf copies of all of them are widely available for purchase or publicly for free, except for Hal Leonard real book vol 3, 2nd edition.

N.B. Earlier editions of what is now the Hal Leonard series are full of mistakes and not vey good.

Indexes for all of these are also available from Alec Katz, $6 apiece, and can be incorporated into ForScore or IGig pro (iOS only I think). I recommend ForScore, which facilitates lookups, annotation, markup, electronic page turning, and set lists.

Also (I’ve mentioned it before), there’s a great website to lookup in which real book specific tunes can be found (often in multiple places):

The Fake Book Index?

2 Likes

Good one! Thanks Ariel!