Kristeta's Practice Log

January - February 2021 Progress
Waltz For Debby Jam Practice

Finally got the chance to record my progress with my dogs barking towards the end as an added sound effect/feature :grin:

On and off practice for 2 months - I’ve lost count as to how many attempts haha I’ve done to record this :star_struck: SUPERB arrangement by Tuomo! - and so today was the first time I got to finally play it without pausing or stopping in between … and as always… many other things to polish, including incorporating more feels etc… :heartpulse:

Any and all feedback/critique/tips welcome! :blush:
Thanks so much for the wonderful arrangements from our amazing Pianogroove instructors!

PS I recently watched Hayden’s Georgia (on my mind) and I just fell for that song instantly. I really like to learn that next. :star_struck:

Hope you are all well!!! Take care

3 Likes

Hi Kristeta…lovely to hear you playing this tune. It’s a lovely song and you played it beautifully. Well done :blush: your progress will be inspiring to others I’m sure.

2 Likes

Nice Job Kristeta :clap: it’s sounding great - thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Nicely done. Waltz for Debbie is one of my favourite Bill Evans pieces.
And your puppy enjoyed it too! Perfect! :+1:

1 Like

Nicely done, Kristeta. :+1: I’ve been working on this one as well, though I’ve still a ways to go.

1 Like

@paul1523727, @Hayden, @George_Miller
Thanks very much! :blush: , forgot to mention there were a few notes that my small hand could not reach haha so the other hand then helps to reach them sometimes :grin: or otherwise leave one of the notes… I always feel bad when that happens :grin: Really happy to have started learning this song… will continue to practice and polish the parts :heartpulse:

Hope you are all well! Take care!

hey @scott1 - Thanks so much!
before trying to record this (from Tuomo’s amazing arrangement) , I did find a copy of …probably another version with 5 pages in it :grin: I really like to try that too but just not sure it probably will take me 5 months hahahaha…

am sure you are enjoying this piece and really looking forward to hearing your take on it – mine needs a lot more work too hehehe. Take care.

wow nice job !!! bravo :muscle: :clap:

perfect notes , just maybe adding some fluidity flexibility in tempo some rubato and even more dynamic (hope i am clear, but personal taste) and the improvisation part and it will be your master song . Always hard when you are not a teacher to add those type of comment but its only to give my feeling and saying its great alone, for me its not very constructive enough and always was expecting such comment about my own playing …
you really did it great not easy arrangement and you improve much

Thanks to share it !
Take care Kristeta

2 Likes

hey Pierre! Thanks very much - I really appreciate it - this is a genre that I have only started exploring which is why am so happy to hear those tips and comments! :purple_heart: they mean a lot to me.

thanks for the motivation! ahhh… now am looking forward to the next step - applying those that you mentioned - as well as the improv … I can’t wait to see myself going back to this thread - (maybe within this year or early next year :grin: ) and give an update on my new attempts hehe

hope you and your family are doing great!

March 2021 Progress :purple_heart:

Back in February - I started (just sight-reading, listening and learning) Hayden’s arrangement of Georgia - I’ve been going back to the lesson and live seminar to help myself remember the tips and ideas, great input from Hayden. I super enjoyed the improv parts/ sample fills in the live seminar… yay too hard haha … but was so fun to watch it!

and again, am working on the tempo, flow …plus other thing that I really want to keep working on is the ‘feel’ which I know will take timeeee to master :star_struck:

In the meantime, that I haven’t finished it, I also gave myself another challenge where I can enjoy small victories within each week …

Not sure yet of the best way to do this 30-day challenge (and would really appreciate it if any of you might have ideas, suggestions … :blush:)

So I went back to Tuomo’s Ear Training exercises and challenged myself to
just (for now - due to time constraint) play one to two exercises in a day and keep repeating the Part 1 section of each exercise until I have almost memorised or remembered the pattern and melody… that way will be easier for me later on to transcribe it.

I must say, I also am enjoying the part 2 section of each EX. and have already noticed some improvement ( in terms of recognizing the intervals) Thanks @Tuomo :star_struck:

30-Day Challenge (Ear Training Exercises - Beg level)

March 23 - 25
Days 1 - 3
Exercises 10 - 12
Part 1 - 2 bar melody over C
Part 2 - Intervals

March 26 - Day 4
Exercise 13
:purple_heart: Note: This one was my favourite - due to its bluesy tune
Part 2 - Intervals

March 27 - Day 5
Exercise 14
Part 1 - 2 Bar Pentatonic melody over C
Part 2 - Intervals
Note: Specifically for part 1 of this exercise, I had to keep listening to it more than usual to fully remember the melodic intervals - loved this challenge!

March 28 - Day 6
Exercise 15
Part 2 - Intervals

I will probably do my best to update it every 5 days and start to do a quick recording of my favourite exercises :heart_eyes: These are all FUN !!

2 Likes

Great @Kristeta,

I’m glad you’re enjoying the exercises!

It’s a great thing to give ourselves challenges that create a routine; this way we learn the best way.

Let me know if I can help with anything,

keep up the good work!

-Tuomo

1 Like

Thanks very much, @Tuomo - really appreciate it! :blush:

Just my update on “Georgia On my Mind” Progress :purple_heart:

I was on and off with the practice due to work, but finally got to buy myself a new audio adapter and helped me to practice more with the headphones on - Yey!

I finally got to play page 1 using 45 bpm and will work on the next page in the next few days… I was really happy today to see some improvement :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Way to go Kristeta. My music critic has been very supportive of my music and loves the finished product, but I must admit that I don’t like to torture her too much with the practice part of it. Headphones are just great. You can have the volume set at any level and practice diminished scales as long as you like and you’re not bothering anyone.

1 Like

Thanks, George.
haha! the ‘practice part’ line part says it all! very nicely put! :blush:

• though my neighbours seem to be musical - and have been forgiving of the sounds of the instruments, you were spot on, again - when you mentioned the volume level! I noticed myself starting to lower the volume for weeks, which I am not enjoying anymore lol :grin: … there was this bit of lockdown and curfew hours too, so I was not able to order the adapter right away - but really happy this time that I got it hehe… :heart_eyes:

Hope you and your family are well! am enjoying reading from and listening to your Transcription Trek thread - lots of great comments and info too.

2 Likes

Wow… it’s been a while :grinning:
I hope you are all doing superb! and safe…

I got the chance to practice again today… and thought I’d record a progress video for Georgia (page 1) I think this was only at 55 bpm … … am hoping to be able to record the song in full soon - and from there set new goals for myself :purple_heart:

I may have been a bit on and off with practice (life happened :grin:) but one thing for sure, though I find this piece difficult!!! it never fails to inspire and make me smile each time I practiced it … and the more I wanted to be patient with myself learning it hehehe :blush:

So very grateful to be a part of this amazing community! Thanks SO MUCH to our BRILLIANT Instructors! too.

Take care.

6 Likes

Sounding great Kristeta!

1 Like

Kristeta,
Yea, life does sometimes get in the way, but hang in there and keep at it. All the best advice says start slow and accurate. Even if it’s so slow that the tune is hardly recognizable. Getting the right notes under your fingers from the start will pay off as you increase the speed. This sounds nice. And I’m glad you’re a part of the community as well. Have fun! :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Thanks very much @Hayden ! means a lot! and please excuse any errors hehe :blush: Hope you are doing well, Take care.

@Scott
True, that is the best line - start slow and accurate haha…
I love learning! I hope you are well and thanks so much for stopping by!

1 Like

Nice done some cool voicing and nice mood and lovely sound and video too :ok_hand: :sunglasses:

1 Like