If you're interested in the Fender Rhodes

I’ve been working on Jobim’s “Insensatez” and by chance came across a version by Marcin Grochowina (b. 1970), a Polish, classically trained, pianist and composer. He has been teaching piano at the Bern Conservatory (Switzerland) since 2009. He has given concerts as a soloist and chamber musician in several European countries, the USA , Canada and China .

Although classically trained, he is also adept at jazz and improvisation–and he also has a thing for the Fender Rhodes. He has an incredible mastery of the instrument. I had a tough choice picking from the tunes I wanted to share. If you’re interested in the Rhodes at all, you should visit and/or subscribe to his website. He has so many great tunes there. The information is available on the videos. (As an aside, the default electric piano in Logic Pro is a very fine version of the Rhodes.)

On the tunes shared here, he plays a Rhodes Mark One 1975. I got that instrument as a gift when I graduated from the university. Had to sell it when I moved to Argentina. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Hey Scott, that was great! I wasn’t familiar with Marcin Grochowina and I always learn something from your posts.

I also have a soft spot for the Rhodes and owned one for a few years in the late 70s, probably the same mode as yours and the one played by Grochowina in the videos.

Isn’t She Lovely really shows off the bark/drive tone (as in lots of Stevie Wonder’s tunes), and Someday My Prince Will Come really shows off the tremolo. Almost sounds like a Leslie!