If you're interested in the Fender Rhodes

I’ve been working on Jobim’s “Insensatez” and by chance came across a version by Marcin Grochowina (b. 1970), a Polish, classically trained, pianist and composer. He has been teaching piano at the Bern Conservatory (Switzerland) since 2009. He has given concerts as a soloist and chamber musician in several European countries, the USA , Canada and China .

Although classically trained, he is also adept at jazz and improvisation–and he also has a thing for the Fender Rhodes. He has an incredible mastery of the instrument. I had a tough choice picking from the tunes I wanted to share. If you’re interested in the Rhodes at all, you should visit and/or subscribe to his website. He has so many great tunes there. The information is available on the videos. (As an aside, the default electric piano in Logic Pro is a very fine version of the Rhodes.)

On the tunes shared here, he plays a Rhodes Mark One 1975. I got that instrument as a gift when I graduated from the university. Had to sell it when I moved to Argentina. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Hey Scott, that was great! I wasn’t familiar with Marcin Grochowina and I always learn something from your posts.

I also have a soft spot for the Rhodes and owned one for a few years in the late 70s, probably the same mode as yours and the one played by Grochowina in the videos.

Isn’t She Lovely really shows off the bark/drive tone (as in lots of Stevie Wonder’s tunes), and Someday My Prince Will Come really shows off the tremolo. Almost sounds like a Leslie!

Very cool! Big Rhodes fan here. I used to own a 1973 stage model that I had to sell when I was low on funds. One of the great regrets of my life!

Check out Kait Dunton. One of my favorite players right now and the Rhodes is one of her main instruments. She also posts a lot of Rhodes content on her Instagram which really brightens up my feed.

2 Likes

I could spend the rest of my life in that room.

2 Likes

Great Rhodes playing here! Thanks for sharing Kait Dunton. She is new to me. Love the sound of the vintage keyboards.

1 Like