Get Back! - The Disney special

I’m not sure where this belongs or even if it belongs in a jazz forum at all. I’ve started watching this eight-hour special on the last live performance given by the Beatles. They get together two weeks before the event to write 14 new songs, rehearse them all, be part of a documentary, plan a new album, and come to an agreement on the venue for the performance. It’s fascinating watching them work together each day and to see order slowly evolve out of chaos. And they do it without writing a single musical note. At one point Paul starts strumming the guitar and singing nonsense words for the lyrics he hasn’t worked out yet. He tries various combinations and suddenly “Get Back” appears. The other band members join in and there it is, just needing polished, lyrics written, and performed. Again, with not a musical note being written down. It’s also fascinating just to watch the dynamics: the frustrations of Paul, the moodiness of George, the indifference of John, and the joker of the pack, Ringo, who gives little input into the construction of the songs but is the peacemaker, holding everything together with encouragement when things seem to be falling apart. I think there are many lessons we can learn from this special about collaboration with other musicians. I would have watched the whole thing in one sitting but it was 2:30am and I was falling asleep!

1 Like

A comment concerning arguably the best-known, most prolific, and most influential musical ensemble of all time seems appropriate to me George. Kudos to you for recognizing how amazing their process was and for acknowledging it here.

1 Like