Digital piano suggestions

Hi All, I may change out my old upright for a weighted digital. I haven’t had an electronic piano since my Fender Rhodes back in the late 70’s. Any suggestions? I had one musician friend suggest a Yamaha. I think Roland is pretty popular as well.
I’d like to have some connectivity, some non piano sounds like a Hammond b-3 for example.
Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

Lots of choices here, and there will be lots of opinions. Factors to consider are budget, weight, action, sounds, portability, and whether or not you want integrated speakers.

Once you decide on those things, you can figure out which model from the major manufacturers (Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Casio, Studiologic) is appropriate, and then make a decision based on (hopefully) trying the instruments yourself at a dealer.

You won’t find all the models in one place but you can probably find models that have the same or almost the same actions, so you get a sense about the user interface and the feel of the action—those two are the most important subjective factors of personal preference.

The forum on pianoworld.com is a pretty good source of information (with lots of opinions)…if you find a model by one manufacturer that would be appropriate, you can post a question on the forum to ask what other people think and what comparable models from other manufacturers they would consider.

My two cents—action and portability are important for me, and I didn’t want integrated speakers, so I went with a Kawai stage piano (mp7se). It happens to have a great bank of organ sounds and sliders, as well as all the other typical sounds, e.g. Rhodes, Wurly, harpsichord, several different concert pianos.

Hayden has a Roland (maybe two of them) stage piano and is very happy with it.

Hope this helps.

Plus, there is the great choice of the high-end NORD Stage 4 (88), and their newest addition of the NORD Grand 2! (…which I have, in addition to a Studio Analog.)
Hope that is helpful in expanding your choices!

@enhowland

I’ve been very satisfied with the Roland RD-2000. They’ve now released the RD-2000 EX.

Here’s a video from a very knowledgable source that showcases the new version. Hope this helps! :musical_keyboard:

Hi Eric , I just got rid of my old piano and purchased the Roland FP 90x and I’m very satisfied. I’m not a pro by any means but think the sound - sound options and the action are great. Very easy to use too. Haven’t tried many others besides a Privia which I think is a bit clunky. Good luck Bob

2 Likes

Hi Greg, appreciate the information. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Best Eric H

Hi Noel, I’ve seen a Nord(red keyboard right) played in a band. Pretty cool B-3 sounds. I probably lean away from the need for a stage/gig piano since I’m replacing an old upright. I do want something easier to move when needed and my old upright is like a boat anchor.
Best Eric H

Hi Fab,
I’ll put the Roland model you suggest on my list. I haven’t been able to compare Roland’s and Yamahas. I need to find a dealer and play them to get a feel for the weighted keys.
Best Eric H

Hi. How’s the keyboard decision going? Have you also considered the Kawai mp11se digital keyboard? Not something you’d move to often given its weight but heaps of videos on YouTube to watch.

Regards

Paul