šŸ—³ Cast Your Votes!.... "Guest Live Seminar" Topics & Genres

Hey everyone :wave:

I am in the process of scaling up the live seminar side of the website by introducing more styles, genres, and teachers, and I need your votes and input.

I have created a poll below containing styles and genres of improvised music that are not currently covered in our live seminars. Some of these topics can be found in our courses and lessons on the website, but not in our live seminars.

Please note that these new styles will be in addition to the current live seminars on Jazz Piano, Vocal Studies, Brazilian Piano, & Gospel/Blues Piano.

Cast Your Votes Here :ballot_box:

Everyone can cast up to 5 votes on the styles they are most interested in.

What Styles Are You Most Interested In For Future Live Seminars?
  • Funk Piano
  • Jazz Fusion
  • RnB Piano
  • Neo Soul
  • Smooth Jazz
  • Contemporary Church Music
  • New Orleans Piano
  • Slow Blues
  • Cuban Piano / Salsa / Montunos
  • Bebop
  • Boogie-Woogie
  • Ragtime
  • Trad Jazz

0 voters

Did I Miss Any Styles?

I believe that the poll cannot be modified after it has been launched for integrity purposes, but if I have missed any styles that you are interested in, please post them below and we will factor in all suggestions.

Thanks for your input :sunglasses:

1 Like

At first I wanted to choose them all lol. Oh well, maybe in a future poll :laughing:

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to learn Ray Charlesā€™ style.
(Added later -)
Davellā€™s course on Gospel music is thorough and detailed, but Iā€™d like more references to itā€™s application in popular music. How does one apply Gospel chords and music to a piece like ā€œyesterdayā€ for example? ā€œHymn to freedomā€ has many Gospel elements, and although Oscar Pā€™s rendition is unique the underlying sound is very like Ray Charles.

5 Likes

Got it - thanks for the suggestion @George_Miller and I will get this scheduled into Aprilā€™s live seminars.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love some more latin style playing - solo at "2:36

4 Likes

Love the vibe of the piano solo @Gregorio-L - thanks for sharing this.

I believe this style would fall under the Cuban Piano / Salsa / Montunos category.

I agree this would be a great style for a live seminar sessionā€¦ leave it with me :+1:

2 Likes

Swing style is great too which I donā€™t see on the list

4 Likes

Love it Gregorio! I found a tutorial on YouTube a while ago on Cuban style. Itā€™s hard on the right hand! I wasnā€™t committed enough and itā€™s all gone now, but Iā€™d be game to trying again if it appears on PianoGroove!

2 Likes

A discussion of Brad Mehldau

For Lyndol; A vocal seminar on ā€˜WHEN THE NIGHTINGALES SANG IN BARCLAY SQUARE.ā€™

1 Like

I love Eliane Eliasā€™s musical style. Perhaps it could be covered in the Brazilian Piano section.

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Aprilā€™s live seminars have been scheduled and uploaded, check them out here:

@George_Miller - we have a Ray Charles themed session on the 19th.

@Gregorio-L - I have reached out to a cuban jazz pianist and hopefully we can get a seminar scheduled this month on cuban piano styles.

@karl1, @ken1 and @colette - we can definitely cover all of these suggestions with our teaching team and I will get these topics scheduled in for Mayā€™s seminar listings.

2 Likes

Thanks Hayden. Iā€™ll register for it :sunglasses:

1 Like

WOW !!! that would be fantastic !

and here the link for a full concert in better quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPxFSBDIbY

some lovely one in her cool touch and singing

3 Likes

Whatā€™s the chance that Jon Cleary would do a live seminar? Loved what I saw of Davellā€™s so far.

Hi @TimD

We are recording a new blues course with Jon later this month and so I will suggest the idea of him hosting a live seminar every month or so. Iā€™m sure he will be interested.

We also have a new blues/gospel teacher joining us next month - more to be announced on this shortly. The 2 new courses will be recorded, edited, and published around the same time - around late December/early new year.

Likewise I think itā€™s a great idea to have at least one monthly seminar dedicated to blues and/or gospel music. I will keep you posted on developments.

2 Likes

How about finding an expert on some kind of ā€œorientalā€ music, like from the Middle East and arabspeaking countries? I am afraid I donā€™t know any good contemporary music or jazz players from those parts but I am sure there could be quite a few, since they have a rich musical tradition with lots of improvisation, different modes etc? Or maybe Indian jazz (unfortunately I donā€™t know any there either, but of course the same applies to them with an equally rich musical tradition and so forth). If you could find someone good I am sure I am not the only one here at pianogroove who would be extremely curious to delve into it.

1 Like

Hey @TimD - great news, Jon will be doing his first live seminar next week and he will be hosting a monthly seminar covering blues and New Orleans piano styles moving forwards.

For his first live seminar, he would like students to submit questions ahead of the seminar so that he has some material to work from.

I will send an email out in the next few days.

Thanks again for this great suggestion. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes I think this is a great idea @fredrik - We are currently adding more blues and gospel themed seminars and afterwards we can certainly branch out to these more nice musical genres. Thanks for the suggestions and leave it with me.

Thatā€™s awesome new! Iā€™ll post some questions soon.

1 Like