Bossa Nova, Samba, & Brazilian Records

nice album with lot of wonderful brazilian classics ; interesting comping
for some calm night in lounge

1 Like

Hi folks, I was in Rio de Janeiro for a week in August, and I got to hear some new and exciting young pianists. Here are their names with links to their music:

1. Luiz OtĂĄvio is a bright pianist, here heard in a duo with guitarist Nelson Faria:
  1. Adaury MothĂ© is also a great composer and I had the chance to sit in with his trio. Here he is playing a cool samba by Gilberto Gil, “Ladeira da Preguiça”:
  1. Vanessa Rodrigues is Canadian, but she lives in Rio and is part of the instrumental music scene. Here she is on organ, playing Marcos Valle’s “Batucada” on Hammond organ:
  1. A great piano master is Cristóvão Bastos, who has played with some of the most well-known samba and choro musicians in Brazil. Here he is playing his gorgeous composition “Todo Sentimento”:

This is offered to stimulate your curiosity to search for their work online and learn from listening to their musical offerings.

Thanks, see you soon!

Jovino

4 Likes

This beautiful song i just recently discover from Master Jobim LUIZA

2 Likes

Jovino,

Wow, Cristóvão Bastos’s “Todo sentimento” is brilliant. I just came across it today, nearly a year after you posted it. Another artist to explore. :sunglasses: Thanks!

1 Like

Was looking for some interpretation of "Ahié " and I stumbled upon an intimate recording of our master Jovino on melodica with Joao Donato on rhodes. Will be happy to have some comments from you Jovino with Joao and this recording 
 lovely

I will look for this double CD “Veja o Som /See the Sound”

PS cool the CD is avaible on spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/2HkVO2VqlTwd2xpwnYtZM2?si=X6GWaGubSqCzw2v99EAD7w

1 Like

About Joao Donato I see this wonderful and so cute video :heart_eyes:. We really understand the person he is and his so naive and brilliant genius about creating melody and his immersion in the music of life 
 nothing to prove he plays his simple and beautiful music 
 i love his attitude and Nelson smart interview
He plays with melody like a child discovering a new toy 
 look at his sparkling eyes :star_struck:

at 15:10 a fire engine passes by and the donato begins to make a simple and beautiful song with the siren melody
 simple, efficient and brilliant

embrassing the melody like a grand father taking is grandson in his arms

I find in the live seminars of Jovino the same love of melody
 Thanks for your courses and sharing @Jovino . Greetings

2 Likes

Hello Pierrot,
Thank you for your comments. I have been a fan of João Donato forever. It was a big pleasure to collaborate with him on my duos CD “Veja o Som”. It took a while for us to figure out which instruments each one would play, but once we settled on Rhodes and melodica, it was done in one take, which my wife captured on video and it became a track on the double CD. He is a great pianist and composer. In the 60s and 70s he spent some time in the US, working with Latin Jazz artists such as Mongo Santamaria and Cal Tjader. His music always has that Afro-Caribbean tinge to it. His compositions are simple, usually in the AABA form, and I always suggest them for anyone who is getting started with Brazilian music. Easy to memorize and fun to play. Thanks! Jovino

1 Like

and by the way, here is one episode of “Um CafĂ© LĂĄ em Casa” with Nelson Faria that I did a few years back:

3 Likes

Thanks you so much Jovino !! i miss this one too :star_struck: 
 such a great collection of great musicians and lovevly moments in Nelson home coffee.

1 Like

Yay :heart_eyes: love this thread!!!

Liked that album a lot :slight_smile:

lovely one

1 Like

did we already talk about those beautiful musicians here ? unavoidable !!

Here is the Bossa Nova Playlist that Jovino referenced in his recent Bossa Nova Audio Tour Live Seminar.

It’s in PDF form and Jovino mentioned that most if not all recordings can be found on YouTube/Spotify:

Bossa Nova Playlist.pdf (64.5 KB)

The playlist contains 163 songs so it’s quite a hefty reference sheet for those interested in exploring some notable records in the Bossa Nova genre.

Enjoy!

1 Like

A tutorial on how to play/improvise on Águas de Março would be awesome. One of my favorite Jobim songs.

2 Likes

lovely version of beautiful tune from jobim /buarque

2 Likes

@Pierrot

That’s a beautiful tune!

With the apparent growing interest in Bossa Nova and Brazilian music in general, I thought I’d share this great site: http://www.jobim.org/.

Click on the image of the artist, and you’re taken to a wealth of information. Not only Jobim is on offer, but also Chico Buargue, Millton Nascimiento, Gilberto Gil, and others. Among other things, there are transcriptions of (I assume) nearly all of Jobim’s major works available for a free download in PDF format.

Just thought you’d find this of interest. :musical_keyboard:

4 Likes

Thanks @scott1 for the link to that website, which is easily navigable even for those that don’t read Portuguese. It’s an wonderful collection; I spent about 15 min browsing through Jobim’s material which is great fun to look at. There are actually two sections with transcriptions, one (“musicas”) that are polished transcriptions, and one (“manuscripts”) that are scanned from his original written-by-hand transcriptions. The latter are AMAZING–here’s an example from his arguably most well-known composition that demonstrates both his musical and artistic creativity! (Who knew that Jobim was thinking in 2/4?)

GarotaDeIpanemaManuscript.pdf (110.8 KB)

2 Likes

Great and helpful site! Surprised João Gilberto wasn’t included there.

I would like to share the groove from Cesar Camargo Mariano:

This song is from one of my favourites albums (Samambaia, Cesar Camargo Mariano and Helio Delmiro, 1981). I couldn’t find it on Spotify, but here there is a youtube link:

And here Cesar Camargo with Hamilton de Holanda again and JoĂŁo Bosco:

Fred

2 Likes