Bill Evans Recordings

Share you favourite Bill Evans recordings below:

Bill Evansā€™ solo piano version of ā€˜Easy To Loveā€™ is one of my favourite recordings. The transition from ballad to a medium swing feel at 0:50 is sublime and perfectly executed:

This tune is from his album ā€˜Time Rememberedā€™ which is definitely worth listening to and studying. Half of the album is solo piano and the other half is with his trio.

If you have tried transcribing Bill Evansā€™ work, you will quickly realise that more often than not, he changes the original key of the standards he plays. Iā€™m sure he had the technical ability to turn up on the day and decide what key he wanted to play in. What a talent.

Whilst the key changes can pose a challenge in transcribe his lines, it can also be a rewarding exercise to improve your transcription and transposition skills.

1 Like

My favorite AL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Z8KuwI7Gc

2 Likes

Yes what a wonderful performance. Iā€™m very fond of Evansā€™ earlier work, particularly ā€˜Portrait in Jazzā€™ and ā€˜Explorationsā€™. Thanks for sharing Walt.

1 Like

Bill rehearsing for a concert with Monica Zetterlund - a Swedish singer, and Alex Riel - a Danish drummer in Copenhagen, Denmark. 1966 Oct. 25

A very interesting perspective into the character and personality of Bill Evans. The audio/video quality is superb considering when it was filmed (1966)

This recording of Bill Evans and Toots Thielemans playing Blue In Green is one of my favourite recordings of the tune. Amazing how the musicians turn it from a ballad to a up tempo swinging groove.

And hereā€™s the full album if youā€™re interested:

Affinity is an album by American jazz pianist Bill Evans, released in 1979 featuring Belgian harmonica player Toots Thielemans. It is the recording debut for bassist Marc Johnson.

1 Like

You Must Believe in Spring, recorded in 1977, was the first album published after the death of Bill Evans, in 1980. Themes like absence, loss, death (so close to Bill, after the death of his brother, and his friend Scott La Faro) are expressed in the musical research & development of this cd, a pearl in his Jazz recording history. This is the title track, #2, You Must Believe in Spring.

2 Likes

I thought I had my favourites of Billā€™s own compositions but hereā€™s a new one I found earlier.

This album was written in memory of his brother - Harry Evans - shortly after his death. You can hear the emotion he is conveying in the tune and some really interesting cluster type voicings in places.

From reading into Billā€™s Biography, he and Harry were very close growing up and his death had a huge effect on Bill.

For anyone that is interested in the read, hereā€™s an account of Billā€™s life from Harryā€™s wifeā€¦ Pat Evans:

Harry and Bill Evans.pdf (641.8 KB)

I always enjoy not only listening to the music of my favourite players, but also researching and exploring their life and backgroundā€¦ it gives you great insight into the influences and circumstances behind ā€˜their soundā€™ which can be very rewarding :slight_smile:

This is unbelievable: ā€œElsaā€, from the 1965 BBC show Jazz 625, with intro by Humphrey Littleton. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2gddu_bill-evans-elsa-jazz-625_music

1 Like

Great record Martinā€¦ Elsa is a lovely waltz.

I have that recording in my iTunes but I have never seen the accompanying video of the performance.

Iā€™m a big fan of Bill Evansā€™ earlier worksā€¦ particularly this trio with Chuck Israels and Larry Bunker!

Cheers!

Really good !
I canā€™t imagine that doesnā€™t come from a hudge composition workā€¦ even for that kind of genious

1 Like

All the things you are - solo

A personal favorite among the many recordings of this tune.

Wonderful Adamā€¦ I love Bill Evansā€™ solo works.

My favourite being the album Time Remembered which is half solo performances and half with his trio.

Check out this guyā€™s channel, he creates extremely detailed transcriptions of Bill Evansā€™ solo performancesā€¦ hereā€™s the one for All The Things You Are:

His hand must have been hugeā€¦ check out what his left hand is doing.

Itā€™s interesting because with his trio, he would almost exclusively play left hand voicings but here he almost always includes the root, and the 3rd (major or minor) an octave up (so a 10th interval between his left hand pinky and his thumb playing the third) then the also often adds the 7th (major or minor) with his index finger.

I can just about stretch some of those voicings but many are well out of my reach :smile:

Some interesting perspectives into his personal style and how he drew upon the influences of those before him:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Bill-Evans-praised-and-viewed-as-the-most-important-influence-for-Jazz-piano-more-so-than-Bud-Powell-Art-Tatum-Barry-Harris-and-so-forth

Iā€™ve read before that Bill was a huge fan of Pud Powellā€¦ someone I need to listen to more!

An interesting blues improvisation over ā€œFreddie Freeloaderā€

3 Likes

Bill Evans - Like Someone In Love (Solo Piano)

This is one of my favourite recordings of Bill Evans playing solo piano. His use of inner voices is sublime :star_struck:

2 Likes

His playing is so elegant :star_struck:

1 Like

Yep thatā€™s probably my favourite of his solo piano recordings @natasha0412 .

You can hear how he ā€˜straightened out the 8th noteā€™ compared to other hard-swinginā€™ players of the post-bop era. His lines still swing, but in a more subtle and sophisticated way.

I wish my hands were big enough to stretch those shell voicings he plays in his left handā€¦ I can just about reach a couple of them, but some of the keys no chance! :grin:

If you study Billā€™s arrangements, you will quickly realise that his hands were huge!

Cheers!

1 Like