'Barry Harris' Voicings

Thank you for responding so quickly I appreciate it. Thank you for your offer. Would you mind giving me one more exercise that is about the same difficulty as the first exercise just so I can be sure I got it because I did use your clues and now I’d like to do it without the clues. Thank you very much

Hi @brad1 and everyone,

here’s a new melody exercise to harmonise with Barry Harris Voicings, have fun!

3 Likes

Thanks tuomo. I’m traveling it was a fun puzzle to work on on paper but I’ll test the results on my piano at home before I send them in.

Hey. Decided to play around with this and made the following recording. Not entirely BH voicings but I did add them where I saw fit. Feedback welcome :grin:

@jose2 sounds great!

1 Like

Hi Tuomo, Would you please look at this Barry Harris Drop 2 harmonization. Thanks.

Barry Harris Drop 2.pdf (1.9 MB)

@brad1, yes, all correct!

You really have understood the Barry Harris voicings! Now the next step is to make sure all the voicings sound as good as possible. For example, how would you harmonise the following chord progression:

Hint: Remember what we talked about alternating BH voicings; you can replace or add notes if needed (in this case the Edim over G7 propably is not the best option, as it alone doesn’t really sound like V to I).

Let me know if any questions,

-T

1 Like

Thank you Tuomo. Here is the simplest thing I could think of (to me alternating BH voicings means going between maj6 and dom7b9). But maybe you mean something else.

Barry Harris G7 to C6.pdf (780.0 KB)

Sorry, I forgot the stems on the half note chords.

Looks great! You don’t necessarily need the second chord where melody changes, the first already works well.

And you’re correct, in this situation when the melody note demands a voicing that should sound strongly a dominant, I would already be thinking Abdim on the G7, and not D-6.

Here are some more options for you to check out for the G7 in this situation:

Let me know if any further questions,

-T

As a reminder, @Tuomo’s Zoom workshop on Barry Harris Voicings is taking place today at 12pm EST. Here’s the link to join the workshop:

The archived version will also be added to this page with the light-up keyboard, chapters, and slow down controls.

1 Like

SUPPORTING MATERIAL:

Jazz Standards Workshop - Barry Harris.pdf (152.9 KB)
Major:minor 6th complete.pdf (75.1 KB)

Thanks for a great workshop, Tuomo. When I first came to pianogroove I soaked up about every tutorial and workshop going. In the last year I’ve been working on applying everything I learned to the pieces I’d like to play. But I think it’s time to come back and revisit the theory. A lot in today’s workshop was familiar but there were “AHA” moments that I understood today that I didn’t a year ago. I guess that’s what happens when you’re learning the language of Heaven. - George

3 Likes

Hi @Jazz-Standards

Thank you for a great Barry Harris workshop!

I’m looking forward hearing everyone’s questions and ideas!

Here’s the video of the lesson:

Here’s the supporting material for the class, you can also find them earlier in the thread.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL:

Major:minor 6th complete.pdf (75.1 KB)
Jazz Standards Workshop - Barry Harris.pdf (152.9 KB)

Looking forward seeing all of you in the next month’s workshops!

Thanks, all the best,

-Tuomo

1 Like