What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Thats interesting @paul1523727. What was his response to your request, if I might ask.

I’ve been listening to and working on a simple, beautiful ballad by Silvio Rodríguez, “Rabo de nube.” It has become something of a standard. Rodríguez was central to the Nueva Trova movement in the 1960s that drew upon traditional folk music and infused it with contemporary social and political themes.

He is widely considered Cuba’s best folk singer and arguably one of Latin America’s greatest singer-songwriters. . . . Rodríguez, musically and politically, is a symbol of the Latin American left. His lyrics are notably introspective, while his songs combine romanticism, eroticism, existentialism, revolutionary politics and idealism.

Many of his earlier lyrics are clearly aligned with the ideas of Fidel Castro and Che Guevara–one of Argentina’s most famous exports. I remember his saying somewhere that “revolution is my vocation.”

You can see the tune is popular by looking at Spotify: there are around 105 different versions in styles ranging from guitar/vocal, Afro-Cuban, Latin jazz, traditional jazz, full chorale to electro dance music. There’s even a version by Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders.

At any rate, here are a few versions that you might like. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

The first is the original version.

One of the very finest versions of the tune is by Charles Lloyd on his Lift Every Voice (ECM 2002), written in response to the 9/11 attacks. It has a stellar list of players: Geri Allen (p), John Abercrombie (g), Marc Johnson (b), and Billy Hart (d). YouTube has put it in their Premium offerings, but if you have Spotify, you can get it here:

1 Like

Ye lovely version this Song for my father is gorgious ! colourful and respectful a must !! …la classe Thanks

ps Wanna add it to the best version in my old post … but it was already there … always good to hear again, even more when you forgot it was so good :smile:

For those who are following Jovino’s Live Seminars (and those of you who should be :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), here are some tunes from his latest solo piano album Luz, released a couple of weeks ago. It’s a very fine collection of tunes and offers some great examples of what he’s been sharing with us. We’re lucky to have him with us here on PianoGroove. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing Scott!

Here are the full album links on various services for those interested:

Agreed!

2 Likes

Been enjoying this Jarrett-inspired album led by the pianist Noah Haidu. This hypnotically slow rendition of “But Beautiful” is, well, quite beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Tactful :cactus:! His take on this standard is nothing but beautiful.

I’m a great fan of NPR’s Tiny Desk concert series because there is so much fine music in all genres. I listen through their playlists from time to time. Just came across this great offering from October 23, 2019 featuring Jovino. Check out his playing the flute and the piano at the same time. It’s an amazing set. Scroll down for the video. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Great find @scott1! And a really wonderful performance by Jovino and his band. :smile: I particularly loved Sempre Sim, which felt to me like being on the outskirts of windy storm on a warm evening. Really beautiful!

Recently been listening to this compilation, and this samba track is a groovy standout:

2 Likes

Takuya Kuroda - Everybody loves the sunshine ☼

I came across this laid-back recording of “Everybody loves the sunshine” by Japanese jazz trumpeter Takuya Kuroda.

Takuya’s bio:

Trumpeter Takuya Kuroda is an inventive, boundary-pushing musician known for his cross-pollinated mix of post-bop, soul-jazz, and hip-hop.

3 Likes

Wow! @Hayden. Thanks for sharing this. It’s definitely laid back. And José James has that sort of gravelly Lou Rawls feel. Very nice!

I’ve always been drawn to Neo Soul/Soul Jazz, but with just an acoustic piano, it sort of wasn’t worth the effort, didn’t sound right. Now that I’m learning Logic, I have a wealth of instruments and possibilities. Because of my interest in Afro-Cuban music, I just started fiddling around with Robert Glasper’s take on Mongo Santamaria’s “Afro Blue.” It has a blending of genres like Kuroda’s tune.

Have a listen. :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

I have also played around with Robert Glasper’s Afro Blue some time ago, it has some great chord changes and melodic lines.

And regarding Takuya Kuroda - Everybody loves the sunshine - Back in 2014 when I was single and happy :slight_smile: I used to listen to this record in my small studio apartment so many times with friends - Great times :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Eliane Elias and Chick Corea perform “Armando’s Rhumba” from Eliane’s upcoming album MIRROR MIRROR, available September 10th, 2021 on Candid Records. It’s a fine duet. Enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

@Scott, Thank you for sharing. That was alot of fun listening to this. As I’m still a newbie to this site, I will have to check out more of Jovino’s music (enjoying his live seminar instruction).

1 Like

Gonzalo Rubalcaba has enlisted the masterful talents of Ron Carter and Jack DeJohnette for his latest album Skyline, recorded in 2018 and released last Friday.

It’s the Grammy-winning pianist’s 34th album as a leader and the first in a planned trilogy of piano trio records for 5Passion, the record label that Rubalcaba co-founded in 2010 (after releasing 13 of his albums with Blue Note over a 15-year stretch).

Raised in Cuba before emigrating first to the Dominican Republic in 1991 and then to Miami in 1996, Rubalcaba says his early gigs with Carter and DeJohnette were his “real school.”

Skyline is “an immersive album that is unique in Rubalcaba’s discography for its unendingly dialogical quality, in which no topic, idea or motif is off-limits to kinetic, soulful investigation.”

Following are three tunes–the first an introduction to the album that includes “Lágrimas negras,” an Afro-Cuban standard. It’s mostly in Spanish, but subtitled. The second is a tune by DeJohnette, “Silver Hollow.” It’s really quite nice. The third is a take on Ron Carter’s “Gypsy.” Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Thanks Kirk. Beegie Adair has become my “go to” for style. It’s the kind of music I most like to relax to and try to emulate.

@George_Miller and @TomLC - I just stumbled across this video of Beegie Adair playing Gershwin’s “Someone To Watch Over Me” and thought you would enjoy watching it:

On May 3, 2013, Ms. Adair visited Steinway Hall in NYC. At their request, she played on Steinway Piano No. 500,000. The piano was designed by artist Wendell Castle in 1988. All the 800-plus Steinway Artists signed the piano with their names, including Vladimir Horowitz and Elton John.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Jamming With Other Musicians - Tips & Guidance