What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Lovely recording Kristeta - it’s one of my favourites of Bill Evans solo recordings.

It’s on the album “Time Remembered” which contains 3 other solo recordings “Danny Boy”, “In Your Own Sweet Way”, and “Easy to Love” which were all recorded in the same session.

I really like Bill’s solo on “Easy To Love” starting around 0:53 :

2 Likes

Yay… tasteful - beautifully played rhythms/ melodies … and a whole lot more… Thanks for sharing this Hayden! just amazing…

I’ve been listening very closely to Emiliano Salvador for some time now. He’s a brilliant Cuban pianist who died at 41 (1992). He’s virtually unknown outside of Cuba, though he

shared the stage with some of the world’s greatest players. Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Dizzy Gillespie, Branford Marsalis, Jack De Johnette, Freddie Hubbard, Larry Coryell, Bobby McFerrin, Carla Bley, Manhattan Transfer, Jimmy Rowles, Eddie Daniels, Steve Swallow, Jimmy Smith, Bobby Watson & Saxophone Quartet, Sun Ra & His Arkestra, Chico Freeman, Kenny Kirkland, Woody Shaw, Joe Henderson, Ismael Miranda, Milton Nascimento, Nana Vasconcelos, Dave Valentín, Louie Ramírez, Airto Moreira, Chico Buarque, and MPB 4.

Most of his work was with large bands, heavy on horns and percussion instruments, but on his last studio album, Ayer y Hoy (1992), he worked basically with a trio. He has a touch that led some to compare him to Bill Evans. I don’t much hold with comparisons of that sort, but he is, indeed, a fine player.

I’ve included two cuts from Ayer y hoy and then one that shows his chops on a Fender Rhodes with a bigger group. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

Cha-cha-chá junto a ti

Una mañana de domingo

Puerto Padre

2 Likes

Here are a couple of versions of Antonio Carlos Jobim’s “Wave.” The first is Jobim along with a young Herbie Hancock. The second is Oscar Peterson’s version. It’s a very fine set with Joe Pass on guitar and Niels-Henning Örsted Pedersen on bass. (Note that on both clips they’re playing a Bösendorfer. What brilliant tones.)

If you like the tune, you can find a tutorial in Jovino’s Brazilian Grooves Course. It’s worth checking out. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

I have jazz radio stations on all day on internet radio… classic jazz is one I have on most of the time - all instrumental but more importantly, no adverts! :blush:

1 Like

Chano Domínguez is a Spanish pianist who incorporates Flamenco into his stylings/voicings. Thought I’d share a couple of standards with his treatment. Here’s Coltrane’s “Naima” and Miles’s “So What” with a Flamenco feel. Actually, his album Flamenco Sketches is a reimagining of Kind of Blue. Interesting. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

Hi Scott,

I just noticed your reference to Paolo Fresu. I can recommend Paolo Fresu’s album “Summerwind”, with bassist Lars Daniel’s. It includes a sublime version of 'Autumn Leaves".

Cheers, Dave

1 Like

I’ve found my new, latest favorite album, Spirit of the Moment (Telarc 2007) by Michel Camilo (born April 4, 1954). He’s from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

According to online information,

He has won a Grammy award, an Emmy award, three Latin Grammy awards, JazzWeek’s Artist of The Year award, four Grammy award nominations and two Premios de la Música (Spain), plus several Premios Casandra and El Soberano awards (Dominican Republic). . . . He moves with ease between the worlds of Jazz, Latin and Classical music, as well as film soundtracks.

Here are three tunes from the album. One is a live recording. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks dave1!

I just noticed your comment. It is, indeed, a very fine version. Thanks for sharing! And I’ve got the rest of the album cued up for a listen. :musical_keyboard:

Hi all,

Have you ever heard of the Pinetop Perkins Blues? I just came across it today and I thought this is worste listening to…

Pinetop Perkins (Joseph William Perkins 1913 - 2011 ) a pioneer and legend of Blues Piano. The oldest person in history to receive a Grammy at age 97.

3 Likes

That sounds amazing prisca!

Prisca,

Never heard of him before. but he’s surely worth a listen! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve been working on Jobim’s “Wave” tutorial in Jovino’s Brazilian Groove class. Here’s a great version by Beegie Adair. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

4 Likes

And continuing with bossa nova, I found a fine trio version of “Corcovado” by Alfonso Gugliucci. He’s always a sure bet, though I think I like the original tempo better. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

I’m in the car two hours+ every day. I listen to Real Jazz on SiriusXM. Fabulous.

That’s awesome Richard, there are so many great jazz stations in the USA.

When I lived in Seattle a few years back I always tuned into Jazz24 when I was driving.

The Jazz24 station broadcasts 24/7 - hence the name - and they have an online player too, check it out here:

https://v7player.wostreaming.net/854

The interface is really cool as it shows all of the tunes played, and if you click on one of the songs it gives a breakdown on the artist and also suggests a discography - here are a couple of screenshots:

A great resource for discovering jazz musicians - both new and old!

1 Like

Nice recording scott… it reminds me of the Oscar Peterson Trio recording of the same tune:

Hayden, I should have responded with Light As a Feather, because that was the last album I listened to; Chick was in a league of his own. And thanks for the link. I’ll listen tonight at work (am here until 10pm – I’m happy to have a job :slight_smile: )

1 Like

One of the best jazz radio stations:

https://www.wbgo.org/#stream/0

Hayden,

Thanks for sharing Peterson’s version. Love how the Bösendorfer sings in those upper registers, a sort of angelic, bell-like quality.