What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Recently came across an album by Christian Jacob (piano) and Terje Gewelt (bass), Interplay (2003 Resonant Music). I’m a big fan of Christian Jacob. Here are a few tunes. The whole album is worth a listen, but their version of “Blue in Green” is especially nice. Enjoy. :musical_keyboard:

Flamenco Jazz of Chano Dominquez - Olé

I tried to transcribe a bit but I am completely lost…

Those were great, Scott! I also enjoyed The Originals album (only about halfway through it).

Thanks!

prisca,

I spent three summers in Spain in the early 90s finishing my MA in Spanish. I came to love Flamenco music. It’s an acquired taste, much like smoky single-malt whisky :sunglasses:.

Chano Dominguez is great, and if you’re interested in this style, you might listen to Alex Conde, a Valencian living and working in New York. His Piano Flamenco Institute of New York offers instruction and free YouTube videos at:(https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC92WO_NR5RMcGxb2mXfBwYw)

You might also like Salvo Russo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjX8JC2EKM4) and Rafael Pradal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2E4UMviuhY.).

Following are two videos: the first is Conde; the second is Bebo Valdés and Diego El Cigala. Valdés (October 9, 1918 – March 22, 2013) is the father of Chucho Valdés, the Cuban pianist that I’ve posted earlier. Cigala is one of the leading contemporary Flamenco vocalists. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Hola Scott

Thank you for your reply and further information. Yes, I already know Alex Conde’s free introductions. It’s great.

And it is wonderful to find other members here at pianogroove who share similiar tast of music.

Happy Sunday. Prisca

Y prisca,

I just added two more links while you were responding. Check them out.

Creo que puedas disfrutarlos. Igualmente es bueno encontrar alguien que tiene interés en este tipo de música. ¡Qué disfrutes! :musical_keyboard:

1 Like

Here’s something that popped up while looking for something else: a video of Bill Evans and Tony Bennett from their 1977 album, Together Again. I thought it a lucky find, given Lyndol’s recent, great live seminar, “Harmonic Support For Vocals.” Here’s 30 minutes of Bill Evans as accompanist to another jazz legend. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Thanks @Pierrot

I’m looking forward to seeing For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story again. Nice find!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a fantastic New Year! All the best! :clinking_glasses: :clinking_glasses:

Here’s Cory Henry with a seasonal offering on NPR’s “Tiny Desk” series. Henry says in this clip:

May these songs fill you and your family with joy and happiness as we bring in what will be a far better year than the last. Live in love, live in peace, grow in freedom. Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays.

4 Likes

Amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to write, think and add so much to my learning.

1 Like

Just saw this Scott - what a treat and thanks for sharing!

Wow…that was fantastic, Scott! You have an amazing talent for finding (and sharing) great music and musicians. Happy new year.

Happy New Year!

1 Like

Very nice, keynut. Thanks for sharing!

Late night, after practicing, I’ve sometimes been fiddling around with a sort of haunting minor two-chord vamp that is similar to the start of this piece. Interesting to see how Tyner so beautifully expands it. And Bartz is in fine form as well.

Here’s a version of “My Favorite Things” by Brad Mehldau. I think you’ll enjoy. Just listen. :musical_keyboard:

4 Likes

I just came across a keyboard player from Crimea, Ruslan Bolatov, and he is amazing. Jazz is alive all over the world! Alexndr Murenko, a drummer well worth listening to, seems to be the leader in the trios he works in. Here are a few tunes: Wayne Shorter’s “Footprints,” “Blue in Green,” and “Autumn Leaves.” Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

2 Likes

I’m only just recently discovering Brad Mehldau, but wow. I’ve been listening to this album from with saxophonist Joshua Redman, and it’s stunning. I love this version of “The Nearness of You.”

4 Likes

Tactful :cactus:,

Mehldau is, indeed, one fine player. Thanks for sharing this. I especially like his early The Art Of The Trio, series.

I’ve been working on Oscar Levant’s “Blame It on My Youth” and in my listening came across Mehldau’s version from The Art Of The Trio, Vol 1. But I’ve really been intrigued by Ruslan Sirota’s take on it as well. I thought I’d share it too. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

3 Likes

Wow there are new links to watch and listen to ! Thanks for sharing :star_struck:

Not Sure if this has been shared before :heart_eyes:
but being new to jazz - I just bumped into it today after forever listening to Waltz for Debby :blush:

and realised I really like this one too :heart:
Happy Hearts Day to those who celebrate it! :tada:

2 Likes