What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Only Hiromi can do this :wink:

For the organ-interested, hereā€™s a brilliant Polish organ trio with a version Hank Mobleyā€™s ā€œThis I Dig of You.ā€ Interesting how he travels light with the B3ā€“builds it as he goes. :joy: And just as a point of reference, I put a link to the Mobley original with Wynton Kelly on piano. (Soul Station, Blue Note 1960). Enjoy. :musical_keyboard: [Note: on the second, if itā€™s says something in Spanish about how itā€™s not available (No disponible), click on the underlined line below. That should open it. If not, the full Soul Station album is on YouTube.]

1 Like

Marc you will dig her solo on 00:43:28 Iā€™ve Got Rhythm

1 Like

))) Iā€™m a big fan of Hiromi.
I really donā€™t understand how she works for this resultā€¦ I appreciate too that she combines freely all technics (classical, all kind of jazzā€¦ pop tooā€¦)

Geoffrey Keezer is an incredible pianist, and when heā€™s paired with Joe Locke on the vibraphone, thereā€™s some magic going on. If you like what you hear, check out Live in Seattle (2005) and Signing (2012). Well worth the time. The first is from a live concert in 2007. The second is from the album I mentioned. Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

That is incredible to watch thanks for sharing!

Iā€™ve been enjoying the Mare Nostrum series of albums (I, II, and III) by Jan Lundgren, Richard Galliano, and Paolo Fresu. Itā€™s an unlikely trio of piano, accordion, and trumpet/fluegelhorn. Hereā€™s ā€œMare Nostrumā€ from the first album.

And now for the DR/TL (didnā€™t read/too long) section: Lori recently posted a video of her playing ā€œFalling Grace.ā€ I didnā€™t know the tune, so I checked YouTube and found it was written by Steve Swallow. Itā€™s curious how serendipitous studying jazz albums can be. When I was searching YouTube for Larry Goldings sets, I came across his work with John Scofield. A few of the best videos with Scofield had Steve Swallow playing bass. I was interested in his playing and by looking for him came across his work with Carla Bley. I was/am fascinated by her work and searching further came across an album with her and Swallow with Paolo Fresu. Looking for more of Paolo Fresu, I came across this series. From that, I checked out the work of Jan Lundgren . . . . You get the idea. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™m experiencing the joy of listening to my first Hermeto Pascoal album. I would LOVE to know the lyrics to this tune if any of you Portuguese speakersā€“the vocals are tremendous (throughout the album). I canā€™t find lyrics or other info anywhereā€“amazing how Pascoal is not better know.

And following up on how listening to one artist leads to finding another: from Paolo Fresu, I came across Omar Sosa, a Cuban pianist. This was interesting, because Sosa will be in Portland in February, and I already have tickets for his performance.

2 Likes

Daniel Harlev Quintet - Terres Live (Dialgo cover)

2 Likes

Beautiful song Mare nostrum and beautiful performance ā€¦ :heart_eyes:
I follow from long time Richard Galliano work , and some of Paolo Fresu ā€¦ and miss this trio ā€¦ thanks Scott pointing it . Will keep looking for more of Jan Lundgren work too :grinning:

Piano solo genius

2 Likes

How lovelyā€¦, thanks for sharing that. I can see how this was the mentor and inspiration to our Jovino.

1 Like

Amazing percussion and grooveā€¦

Lucky you! That is soooo beautiful, Just amazing!!

He is sheer genius. Listening to Pascoal has changed how I hear rhythm and harmony. Every album-- incredible range, depth, virtuousity.

Hayden,

I absolutely love this song. Do you possibly have a recommendation relative to where I/we could find a really nice score of this song so I/we can learn it? Thanks in advance for your response. Jonathan

1 Like

Hi Jonathan,

That tune is on page 250 of the RealBook 3: https://www.halleonard.com/product/240233/the-real-book-volume-iii

You can also find the chord changes here on the iRealPro website: https://www.irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?10544-Real-Book-III-list

It can be nice to look at different sources for the changes, as well as transcribing the chords by ear of your favourite recordings.

The version above shared by Mark contains a lot passing chords and reharmonisations so keep that in mind. But what a beautiful arrangement!

1 Like

Iā€™m just sort of discovering this, but there is an amazing jazz scene in UK right now it seems. Iā€™m blown away by the sounds.

Yussef Dayes: https://open.spotify.com/track/14hKtzUqlI1Sa1nfq0GXR3?si=qFjoBOATQ_GYiWFdLbGCLw
Kamaal Williams: https://open.spotify.com/track/0mI2vMKTGm4MsE8n4uF955?si=Rm0nTMiVTn--YHhIo2Jpiw

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a very nice version of the ā€œThe Nearness of Youā€ by Addison Frei.

3 Likes