What Record Are You Listening To Today?

I like to start my day listening to a few numbers by Red Garland. He has such a soft and delicate touch which still swings like crazy. Here’s a great tune:

The Red Garland Trio - ‘Please Send Me Someone To Love’

Red Garland (piano)
Paul Chambers (bass)
Art Taylor (drums)

The whole album “Red Garlands Piano” is worth checking it if you like his style.

1 Like

What are you doing the rest of your life is such a lovely song :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

romantic and sweet … the movie have his own color too , i just watch it those last days … and make the song sound even deeper … the mood of this song really fit so much with the movie … Michel Legrand is really a great composer and this is one his master piece.

thanks for making me discovering it and your arrangement so lovely too… i am under the spell of it :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes Pierre, that tune is one of my favourites.

Also listen to this version. Listen to how Bill and his trio change the dynamic at 2:19:

Bill ‘straightened out the 8th note’ meaning that his style of swing is a little ‘straighter’ than those before him.

He was a pioneer and the one person who piqued my interest in jazz many years ago.

He will always be one of my main inspirations despite now that I’m exploring earlier musicians such as Red Garland, Wynton Kelly, and Bud Powell.

The above recording is absolute geniuses at work! I love it from the bottom of my heart :heart_eyes:

We cover that tune by the way, it’s in this course:

It’s a 3 part video.

Enjoy!

Yes he is.

He is known for creating challenging harmonies in his music and compositions.

They are all difficult (but very enjoyable :wink:) to play.

Using “What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life” as an example… he moves through the some of the ‘brighter’ major keys in the bridge (A Major, E Major) - keys that are not common in jazz standards.

Do some research into his relationship with Bill Evans… the 2 of them collaborated. I find it interesting to research the history around the music.

Cheers!

I’ve been listening to Larry Golding’s Awareness (1997), There’s some good stuff here. The trio is rounded out by Larry Grenadier on bass and Paul Motian on drums. Not bad when you can get one of Bill Evans’ drummers backing you.

1 Like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ySQ8cA4a-f8

(please, listen all… she was incredible…)

1 Like

Wow, such incredible virtuosity…

and she makes it look so effortless! :grin:

https://youtu.be/igGtozppMGE
I would love to learn this as well. Hauntingly beautiful bossa style.

1 Like

i would really not have recognize Oscar Peterson in a blind test :face_with_raised_eyebrow:… so far away from his usual style of playing … lovely sweet bossa

1 Like

Yes me neither! From someone who usually swings so hard, it’s tricky to recognise his musical character when he’s playing so straight.

Lovely record @adam_powell - thanks for sharing, a nice choice for the first record I listen to today :grinning:

Also, I’ll see if we can incorporate this style/vibe of Bossa Nova into our upcoming Bossa lessons.

1 Like

A friend turned me on to the song. I absolutely love it. I really love your website and all the instruction you have available. Just wanted to reiterate that. Have a great day!
Cheers

Yes it’s a fantastic recording :grinning:

And thanks Adam … always great to hear this kind of feedback on the site and service. We will continue to develop it to its full potential.

Enjoy the lessons and have a great day also!

The early Sun Ra records are very jazz oriented and overall an amazing experience.
Today I listed to Jazz In Silhouette:

2 Likes

Hi Ariel, welcome to the community!

Listening to jazz regularly is essential for your development and so thanks for sharing this album.

Swing feel, phrasing, articulation, and other areas of your playing can only truly be absorbed through listening and emulating your favourite players so keep this up. Cheers!

Mingus was one of the musician that makes me wants to get in jazz music . His orchestra with such a great team Jimmy Rowles piano ,philipp Catherine , larry Coryell guitars … and this beautiful theme “Goodbye porpie hat” still gives me chills and this other wonderful version with Jaco Pastorius on Bass

1 Like

Today I was rediscovering this gem from Ramsey Lewis. It’s one of my favourite pieces of music. It’s actually a jazzed up cover of a soul/funk song by the band War from the early 70s. It’s just so beautifully soulful and moody and Ramsey Lewis improvises so simply but emotionally over it. Have to learn this one.

2 Likes

Great record James… I agree his solo is awesome… simple but such a strong groove :star_struck:

As I’ve mentioned to you, we will definitely get a dedicated funk teacher onboard our teaching team for this kind of groove/vibe.

1 Like

I always try to post the YouTube link for ease of access by everyone, but I can’t find this version on YouTube.

Eddie Harris - In A Sentimental Mood (Solo Piano)

Such a beautiful recording :star_struck:

2 Likes

+1 for a cool funk teacher )

iTs Eddie Higgins … :slight_smile: another style too than Barry Harris and even from Eddie Harris who seems to be a jazzfunk sax player

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Andrea Motis recently. Her voice fascinates me. The song linked here was recorded when she was fifteen or sixteen. (She’s now around 23.) She plays trumpet and sax and began around age 11 with a jazz artist and educator from Catalunya (Spain), Joan Chamorro, multi-instrumentalist playing bass here. Anything he does is worth a listen. He has a youth jazz group as well as his own various groups and big bands. Besides traditional standards, his various groups do a lot of Latin rhythms as well. Well worth a listen for those in the bossa nova class. The pianist is Ignasi Terraza. Scott Hamilton is on sax here.

2 Likes