What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Just discovering Wes Montgomery with this tune, he’s fantastic, makes me want to start arranging this tune

Edit: Also @Hayden is there any place in the forum where we can set challenge to our self and take others as witnesses :joy: and maybe motivate others !

1 Like

And Guillaume, if you want to hear a very fine example of Wes Montgomery, check out this tune, “Four on Six”. Montgomery is at his best and Wynton Kelly is on fire. Maybe that’s why the album has its title. :joy: Enjoy, and check out the album. It’s a classic.

3 Likes

@scott1, I’m so happy to see you posted this record, it’s one of the best!

Here’s another great one with the same great Wynton Kelly Trio with Paul Chambers (b) and Jimmy Cobb (dr), with a totally different kind of soloist (Joe Henderson)

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks tuomo. I’ve listened to *Four!*and it is definitely a fine effort. I have it in my library.

1 Like

I love Joe Henderson’s work as well. My favorite album of his is called “Elements” on which he incorporates some ethnic instrumentals.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lets create a practice group!

So as I’m revisiting the lessons on “Beautiful Love” and listening to different versions, I found this one by Makoto Ozone. It’s definitely worth a listen. It’s from the album Spring is Here (1986). George Mraz is on bass and Roy Haynes on drums. (And while I have your attention :wink: , I’ve added another video of a very fine version of Cedar Walton’s “Holy Land.” It’s by another Japanese player, Yumiko Matsutake.)

1 Like

Well I seem to be hogging the space here. But tonight, I saw the Kendrick Scott Oracle, at a local venue. Obviously. all the players are good, and Scott has been likened to Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb, and Tony Williams. My wife found them sort of boring. And I have to agree. Kendrick Scott is a master drummer; his compositions, while good, are sometimes less than stellar.

I came to hear the pianist Taylor Eigsti. His role tonight and the guy working the mikes were sort of underwhelming. Following are two videos:

First, a video with Kendrick Scott and Taylor Eigsti accompanying the vocalist Gretchen Parlato–the reason why I bought my tickets.

And here one of the songs tonight, the last song of Kendrick Scott’s album A Wall Becomes A Bridge

I know this is not traditional jazz piano, but this is why I want to learn!

Im working on Billie’s Bounce and this guy… rocks it wow !

2 Likes
1 Like

Show-off, but very cool.

1 Like

A wonderful example of reharmonization of a 1960s pop hit (still a favorite of mine)
https://youtu.be/32v_07EnkSk

1 Like

Junior Mance is an absolute Jazz Blues piano player, this is excellent.

2 Likes

Here’s a very talented young pianist I just came across–Ben Paterson. (Okay, so he’s 36. It’s young to me. :sunglasses: ) He’s got a few albums out and has a bit of the Oscar Peterson sound about him. (One of his albums is Blues for Oscar.) He also sings and has a couple of albums playing the Hammond B3. In a few days, I’ll post an example of each. For now, here’s his version of a Stevie Wonder song.

2 Likes

Yes I love Ben!

Have you checked out Johnny O’neal? He is one of the greatest pianists still around in NYC, and a great mentor to all of us.

Here video with Ben Paterson:

And here Johnny on the piano

4 Likes

I love his energy, and he is one of the people inspiring me to learn piano.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Tuomo, some nice stuff. I forget that you’re in New York and in the heart of things. Here’s one by Ben Paterson on the B3. This guy’s good.

2 Likes

A couple of Keith Jarrett solo piano recordings:

Someone To Watch Over Me:

I Loves You Porgy

Full Album:

3 Likes

That’s one of the best Keith albums, recorded just after he had a long break from playing and performing.

The wikipedia article has a good detailed description:

1 Like