What Record Are You Listening To Today?

Such a beautiful touch

An amazing solo by Cory Henry, indeed! I also liked the tenor sax/wah-wah trumpet exchange at about three minutes. Very Brecker Brothers.

Here’s a cool duet/jam with Cory Henry & Nick Semrad at NAMM:

@scott1 - some nice organ work there by Cory Henry :star_struck:

1 Like

This is great! Those runs are SO smooth. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Here are a couple of videos of Connie Han. I came across her by chance and came up with a very fine player. She’s 22 or 23 on these videos. Music critic Bill Milkowski ranks Han among the twelve jazz musicians to “keep an eye on in 2019”.[1]. However she’s rated, she’s good and worth a listen.

2 Likes

Im currently listening a lot of this charlie parker’s master piece, i want to transcribe it and im trying to play the blues progression with it but im struggling knowing if i am at the right tempo or not, i think its 160bpm, do you have any tips that can help guys ?
Thank you
Guillaume

Hi @Guillaume,

The record is pretty close to 160pbm, but can you explain why you need to know the actual tempo?

Are you practicing with the record, or without?

In general, practicing slowly is always good first, so you have more control on what you want to do.

Keep up the good work, and let me know if I can help,

-Tuomo

Hey @Tuomo , i just wanted to practice with left hand voicings along the record, like that when i pick up some ideas from 25-251 or other chords i know what hes doing with the melody

@Guillaume,

That’s great, are you familiar with The Charlie Parker Omnibook? It has transcriptions of Charlie Parker solos, and the basic changes, maybe that will help

http://www.lil-works.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/01-Charlie-Parker-Omnibook-For-C-Instruments.pdf

ill definitely check this out thank you ! :smiley:

I’m back to regale (or bore) you once again with another video from Larry Goldings. Here he’s taking part in a series of standards by Ben Wendel, a fine sax player. You can’t get much more standard than “Tea for Two.” But with Goldings’ voicings, I think it takes on a new life. At any rate, it’s worth a listen. :headphones:

5 Likes

Billie's Bounce - Bebop Jazz Piano Arrangement by Jonny May - YouTube just wow

REAL BOOK 001: A Call To All Demons ~ Sun Ra - YouTube - Great tune

A New Orleans take on “Waltz for Debby.” Love it, particularly how Toussaint lets the melody “lag” behind the beat.

https://youtu.be/zQAg61iDQSM

1 Like

Just discovering Wes Montgomery with this tune, he’s fantastic, makes me want to start arranging this tune

Edit: Also @Hayden is there any place in the forum where we can set challenge to our self and take others as witnesses :joy: and maybe motivate others !

1 Like

And Guillaume, if you want to hear a very fine example of Wes Montgomery, check out this tune, “Four on Six”. Montgomery is at his best and Wynton Kelly is on fire. Maybe that’s why the album has its title. :joy: Enjoy, and check out the album. It’s a classic.

3 Likes

@scott1, I’m so happy to see you posted this record, it’s one of the best!

Here’s another great one with the same great Wynton Kelly Trio with Paul Chambers (b) and Jimmy Cobb (dr), with a totally different kind of soloist (Joe Henderson)

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks tuomo. I’ve listened to *Four!*and it is definitely a fine effort. I have it in my library.

1 Like

I love Joe Henderson’s work as well. My favorite album of his is called “Elements” on which he incorporates some ethnic instrumentals.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Lets create a practice group!