What is your piano model?

Hadn’t thought about contributing to this thread until just now after Prisca’s recent post, but I found the thread interesting and valuable.

I started off with a Kawai mp10 (predecessor to the mp11) about 10 years ago after moving from an acoustic Baldwin grand to digital, then earlier this year I picked up a Kawai mp7se because I go back and forth between two different homes. I love the mp7se. The action is lighter than the mp10; consequently slight inconsistencies in tempo or key engagement are not so noticeable on the mp7se, whereas the mp10 is less forgiving. (I would be interested in anyone’s experience who has directly compared the mp10 touch/action to that of the mp11se).

I also have a StudioLogic SL-73 as a travel keyboard–it’s very solid and durable, unlike some other inexpensive keyboards, and with a pelican case for airline travel, weighs just under 50 pounds. Only downside so far is that I have to explain to the gate agent that it’s a keyboard and not a firearm.

The SL-73 is just a controller, though, and I’ve been using either the Ravenscroft-275 or Pianoteq as a VST. Occasionally I’ll use the VST with one of the Kawai keyboards to try something different from the Kawai built-in sounds.

Two brief digressions and a question:

(1) For speakers rather than headphones, high quality studio monitors (I have Focal alpha 50s) are much better than a “keyboard amp”; I used to have a KC-350, and the monitors are infinitely nicer.
(2) But room acoustics have an enormous effect. Playing the exact same VST with the exact same monitors in different locations sounds completely different, and I still haven’t found the right combination of velocity settings to get the sounds to match. (Through headphones, the sounds are, of course, identical).

Question: for those of you using the Ravenscroft-275 or Pianoteq, it would be helpful to know what sorts of changes you’ve made to velocity settings, and the process you used. (Pianoteq has dozens of instruments, all of which use a common interface; Ravenscroft has a different interface).

Finally, for anyone that has Pianoteq and want to try something a little different, check out the fxp settings used by 7notemode which are free from his website:

(I tend to be a keyboard purist but I think his layered approach of combining, e.g., a Steinway D with an electric piano works very well for the Bonnie Raitt tune).

1 Like

completely agree with this . Enjoy Prisca !!

Its only a compromise to play a digital piano even the bests . The only advantage is to be able to play without disturbing those around us because they are sleeping, because they dont like what we are playing , because whatever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a Yamaha P515 which I mostly run with headphones (Sennheiser HD660S). The action feels great, even though apparently it’s a little heavier than most other keyboards.
The two main pianos are a CFX (binaural) en a Boesendorfer; I actually like the latter often a bit more. It’s softer than the CFX even though that one sounds better technically.
I have two VST’s on my PC; VSL Boesendorfer Imperial (in Vienna Instruments) and VSL’s Boesendorfer Upright. Have some slight issues with realtime loading while playing; I guess I should increase the ASIO sample buffer size but that brings more latency. Also, loading all the notes takes almost half an hour, so I just keep it on and don’t really use them that much in practice.

The Kawai MP11SE sounds very nice, but heavy. I should revisit the Roland FP-90 once to feel it once more. But more than that I just need to play on the P515 that is there. :wink: I tend to get distracted with all the gadgets in musicland instead of practicing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Prisca

Looks like a great instrument and love the colour. I miss not having an acoustic in many ways, and have forgotten what if felt like to play on one. I 'm using a digital piano at present given I have been travelling for work for many years and hope to settle down soon, COVID pending as I’m stuck overseas. :grinning:

1 Like

Love This Thread!!! Such beautiful digital and acoustic pianos! Yay!
I was a bit sad to have sold my Kawai Upright but it was due to neighbour issues :grin: so I bought myself a Roland FP-50 a few years back and can practice even at dawn time :relaxed: There are so many good digital pianos out there and have also been checking on the new features they have… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I recently bought a Korg D1, and I’m pleased with the selection of sounds, but more importantly, I like the keyboard, which seems to be the same as other expensive digital pianos from the same manufacture have. This was my first criteria in choosing it.

However, I really believe that no plug-in or digital piano in this world would ever replicate an acoustic piano.

1 Like

You’re right, Eugene.

But I have to say that some of the VSTs out there like the Ravenscroft 275, the Garritan CFX, and the Vienna Symphonic Library’s Bösendorfer Imperial will give you pause–they’re so close to “being there.” Many of the others are okay, but they cut corners. These are as nearly complete pianos as is digitally possible. A real joy to play at a fraction of the cost.

And, by the way, I really like your version of “Blue Monk” in the performance thread! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Thanks Scott!

I have a modest home studio where I work on various projects, mainly making beats and music for media. I have tried even the more expensive plug-ins on my quest for “that sound”. VSTs are playing samples, either round-robin or using more advanced algorithms.

For instance, I have Ivory II from Synthology which comes in a whopping 40GB only for acoustic pianos. Still not there in my humble opinion.

Don’t get me wrong. I like the idea of having a decent piano sound at a fraction of the real beast, and I use these plug-ins in my projects almost every day. However, the current technology cannot replicate the sound spectrum and possibilities of an acoustic instrument.

2 Likes

Hi @Kristeta

Yes, I think I have to agree…Roland digital are quite good compared to accustic piano’s and yes, the advantage is, you are able to play at dawn time. I am lucky enough that I live in a city where a music academy is located and im my nighbourhood there are living additional musicians with all kinds so of music instruments and music styles. So, it is not a big issue for me at the moment.

1 Like

ooh! that’s great to hear @Prisca - and lucky you too! that is such an advantage! :heart_eyes:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone has experienced with Nord 2?
I see this one on sale in a shop, but unfortunately, I can’t go and test it due to Covid lockdown.
If anybody has some experience with it please share :slight_smile: specifically, how does the piano sound/action is compared to Roland FP series.

Thanks everyone stay safe and sane !! :grin:

Hey Ariel i test Nord piano 1 and 2 … and i was not blown away its fine (Fatar keyboard)but not great

All piano key action are different and its really personal, but no revolution with this one in between they move for the last Grand piano with a Kawai action keys … i understand why . Never have try this last one , some friend are really happy with it. … but the price is there. 3200 euros aie :money_mouth_face: :cold_face:
i am thinking about the last kawai MP 11SE 2200 euros too :face_with_thermometer:

hope it helps .
PS but really only personal experience can tell you ,what you feel about.

Hi Peirrot,

Yea I tried once Nord 3 and action key was not great even compared to my Roland FP30 which is basically the entry level for digital Piano’s. On the other hand, the Nord has all those great synth features and sounds which is also something I want to experience and explore.

Oh well maybe i’ll just by a Korg synth around budget of 500 Euro’s and be left with my Roland FP30 for the Piano experience for now :slight_smile:

So i probably dont understand your question
You tell about Nord 2 so i was thinking about nord piano 2, but you were talking about electronord nordwave nordlead ? ? those have no piano action key, but waterfall key or synth key action. You cant compare them to your roland FP piano key action.

I have a Yamaha MOFX8 which has been really great and it only weighs about 35 lbs, it has basically all the Motif sounds . I also use a Yamaha M61 synth board if I play in a band for organs and synths . I can hook up an electro harmonix leslie pedal to either, but recently mostly stick with piano, electric pianos .
I used to have a Nord 2 73 and gave my son our old Yamaha P300.

From Alan Palmer, Digital Piano Product Manager, Kawai US
"If you like [those models] one alternative model we make that does have an expression pedal jack is the MP7SE stage piano.

It is the same key action and main piano sounds as the ES920 but it has more organ sounds than either the KDP110 or ES920 but it doesn’t have built-in speakers so it needs to be connected to an amp or PA system.

He also told me, my being an organist,
“you can turn the touch curve to Off which has no touch sensitivity so the keyboard will respond like an organ and does not require force to make the notes louder. The volume will be the same regardless how hard you press the key.”

If interested, he is APalmer@kawaius.com

1 Like

Anyone had the opportunity to try the Nord Grand keyboard? Sounds interesting

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-grand

Roland FP-10 question:
I am trying to get the Piano Partner 2 app on my Samsung phone to communicate with my new FP-10, so I can record what I am playing. I am following the instructions religiously and still can not get the app to recognize the keyboard (I have tried putting all my apps in deep sleep, so none are running in the background - did not help). Has anyone out there had success with this? If so, what is the secret?
If not, any suggestions for relatively simple ways to record what I am playing?

Hi Paul
:sunglasses: :star_struck: :star_struck: This red one is appealing i admit :wink:, combining the touch of Kawai (for me the best for digital piano) and the tech point of Nord … Never touch it , but some pro player tell me its really a great one ; best compromise today for a portable piano with a great sound and touch . The only cons are the price and the limited memory and no organ sound or synth
Will try to get a hand on it , but because the price, hard to find in demo.
Waiting the soon summer NAMM 2021 to see if Kawai have some new pianos to offer.
but this one in my view for my next piano with the MP11SE or maybe a second hand acoustic piano … but my life and money will make the decision probably clearer in next months :roll_eyes:

Hello
i find this video about it

where the problem appears ? when pairing the piano with the app ? not in the list as in this video ? or not connecting even the piano is in this list ?
you have the last update for the piano ?
About recording your piano theres some post about it , depending so much of the quality you are waiting for …
link Devices and software for posting our videos
Cheers