What is your piano model?

I have a Yamaha MOFX8 which has been really great and it only weighs about 35 lbs, it has basically all the Motif sounds . I also use a Yamaha M61 synth board if I play in a band for organs and synths . I can hook up an electro harmonix leslie pedal to either, but recently mostly stick with piano, electric pianos .
I used to have a Nord 2 73 and gave my son our old Yamaha P300.

From Alan Palmer, Digital Piano Product Manager, Kawai US
"If you like [those models] one alternative model we make that does have an expression pedal jack is the MP7SE stage piano.

It is the same key action and main piano sounds as the ES920 but it has more organ sounds than either the KDP110 or ES920 but it doesn’t have built-in speakers so it needs to be connected to an amp or PA system.

He also told me, my being an organist,
“you can turn the touch curve to Off which has no touch sensitivity so the keyboard will respond like an organ and does not require force to make the notes louder. The volume will be the same regardless how hard you press the key.”

If interested, he is APalmer@kawaius.com

1 Like

Anyone had the opportunity to try the Nord Grand keyboard? Sounds interesting

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-grand

Roland FP-10 question:
I am trying to get the Piano Partner 2 app on my Samsung phone to communicate with my new FP-10, so I can record what I am playing. I am following the instructions religiously and still can not get the app to recognize the keyboard (I have tried putting all my apps in deep sleep, so none are running in the background - did not help). Has anyone out there had success with this? If so, what is the secret?
If not, any suggestions for relatively simple ways to record what I am playing?

Hi Paul
:sunglasses: :star_struck: :star_struck: This red one is appealing i admit :wink:, combining the touch of Kawai (for me the best for digital piano) and the tech point of Nord … Never touch it , but some pro player tell me its really a great one ; best compromise today for a portable piano with a great sound and touch . The only cons are the price and the limited memory and no organ sound or synth
Will try to get a hand on it , but because the price, hard to find in demo.
Waiting the soon summer NAMM 2021 to see if Kawai have some new pianos to offer.
but this one in my view for my next piano with the MP11SE or maybe a second hand acoustic piano … but my life and money will make the decision probably clearer in next months :roll_eyes:

Hello
i find this video about it

where the problem appears ? when pairing the piano with the app ? not in the list as in this video ? or not connecting even the piano is in this list ?
you have the last update for the piano ?
About recording your piano theres some post about it , depending so much of the quality you are waiting for …
link Devices and software for posting our videos
Cheers

Thanks @Pierrot. Inspite of what Roland says, reviews of the app suggest a fundamental incompatibility with Android phones.
I will check out the devices and software link. Thanks.

Seems lot of users have problem of connection with piano partner 2 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.roland.PianoPartner2&hl=en&gl=US&showAllReviews=true
some say that you have to
TURN YOUR LOCATION ON IF YOU HAVE A CONNECTION PROBLEM!! Don’t know why but tried connecting for an hour just when I discovered my location was turned off in my Samsung Tablet. Now it works flawless. It s not written in the instruction of connection

anyway the recording of midi seems not accessible too ) so if thats your looking for… :cold_sweat:

Thanks @Pierrot . Have checked the location settings multiple times, in multiple places on my phone. Always turned on.
Have spent some time this afternoon researching iPad air’s. Think this is the path forward for me.

Thought I’d put in a section about my new keyboard, the Yamaha YC 88. There’s a full demonstration here:

I’ve had it for four months now, and still learning new things about it, but I love it. I had an entry-level electronic keyboard in the 1990s but it didn’t really turn me on, and I always went back to my piano, but they have improved tremendously since then and this one is amazing in its capabilities. It is basically split into three sections - an organ section, a piano section and a special effects section. All explained in the demo. Well worth looking at if you are in the market for a keyboard.

3 Likes

George,

Thanks for sharing. I’m always interested in hearing different keyboards. The YC88 sounds great, and it should be all you’d ever need. How is the keyboard action?

1 Like

Thanks @scott1. It’s definitely a piano action and identical I would say to my Yamaha grand, which I’m sure is a deliberate decision on Yamaha’s part. I wasn’t able to test the action before I bought it because of the Covid rules and my immediate thought was that it was stiffer than I’d like. Although I’m used to the action on the piano I thought the YC88 would be lighter to recognise the huge step they took in upgrading the organ capabilities of the keyboard. But I’ve become used to it. Having said that, I’m not skilled on the organ and I suspect an organ enthusiast would want the action lighter. A lighter action is available on the other models however. The YC61 has 61 waterfall organ keys and the YC73 has 73 keys that are a compromise somewhere in between.
More info here:
YC Series – YC61, YC73 and YC88 - Overview - Stage Keyboards - Synthesizers & Stage Pianos - Products - Yamaha - Canada - English

1 Like

Hey George, that demo was a lot of fun. Looking forward to you sharing your own version of Moanin!

Speaking of which, let me know if you or Scott figure out what he’s done with the settings. It’s pretty clearly a split keyboard with piano on top and what sounds like horns, bass, and organ on the bottom. But the drum track is really customized, and I wonder if that’s something he did on the instrument or in a separate track on a computer.

Regarding stiffer actions, my personal experience is that lighter actions are easier to play initially but after a while (half a year in my case), heavier is better. I think it’s much easier to go from a heavy action to a light action than vice versa.

P.S. Why did you go for the YC88 instead of the CP88?

1 Like

That would be a separate track on the computer, @gregb . There are no drum capabilities with the YC88. Just organ, piano, synth and the effects that are laid over them. But they are substantial in capability. I use BIAB to generate rhythm backing tracks when I need them or use them ready-made. I went for the YC88 over the CP88 because I was totally seduced by the organ section (and the cool multicoloured drawbars!) And I’d watched a few of the Hammond organ lessons here and wanted to make organ more of my playing.

I must have watched a dozen demos on YouTube from various people, getting more enthusiastic about the instrument every time, and eventually just went for it.

PS: Have you watched 7notemode’s version of moanin’? I know you enjoy his playing.

3 Likes

Wow, just Wow. A beautiful demonstration of musicality and controlled virtuosity.

Yamaha YDP184R Arius which is decent for all intents and purposes. Has graded pedal response which I like (and is useful for classical). Maybe someday I’ll be able to invest in an avant grand or something, but this will do for now.

1 Like

I watched the demo and the sound coming out of digital pianos now is so impressive! The purists say that the sound of an analog piano just can’t be duplicated but I must say that my ears just can’t tell the difference. You have a good buy there LG.

Hi guys! Just to let you know, I’m a proud user of a Roland FP-30X, and I love it! But I’m on the pursuit of the perfect jazz sound.

@Hayden , how do you setup yours at the studio?

Thanks!

Hey @Alex_Bicudo :wave:

For recording PianoGroove lessons, I connect my keyboard to Logic Pro, and the default Steinway sound or the Boesendorfer sound are both great sounds.

If you’re looking for something more sophisticated, there are many advocates of the Ravenscroft 275 virtual piano here in the forum. See the following thread:

If you want to record some performances, I would recommend using a virtual piano. The result will be much cleaner than capturing the audio from the FP30 with a microphone.

One of the positives of the FP30 is that is has built in speakers. If you did want to use a virtual piano, you would have to connect to your computer via the MIDI/USB, and then use some other speakers to generate a similar level of volume.

I would recommend playing around with the default piano sounds in Logic first (Steinway & Boesendorfer)

1 Like

Hey @Hayden,

I meant the available setup sounds of FP 30X itself or Roland apps. For instance, there’s an Roland app called Piano Designer where you find a number of setups to change the piano sound. For playing jazz I’m using LX-17 440Hz Jazz Stage setup. So I was wondering if you were using some of these setups.

Regarding Logic Pro, it is Mac only, right? If that’s the case, I can’t use it…