Upcoming Ballad Tutorials - Cast Your Votes Now!

Hayden…that is beautiful!!! You NEVER disappoint! I was going to start on a new one for me this weekend… “Georgia on My Mind” since I am a Georgia gal…but now I am going to wait on this one! Thank you!!!

1 Like

The full tutorial for “Unforgettable” has been published:

The lesson came in at 35 minutes so it’s quite a study!

The lesson chapters will help to navigate it.

I’ve labelled the chapters by the sections of the tune (Intro, A Sections, B Section, C Section) so it should be easy to study these segments in different sittings if necessary.

I demonstrated 2 different ways to play the C Section. One is more rubato with left hand arpeggios, and the second keeps the stride style consistent. I like them both but I think the rubato one is my favourite :grinning:

I’ll get started on the transcription tomorrow.

Cheers and enjoy!

I know what is going to consume my next 4 weeks and I can’t wait! Hayden, you are the king of ballads…my favorite music.

1 Like

Hi Hayden,

I have a suggestion for the next list of lessons to vote on if you continue to follow that format.
Beautiful ballad, although a bit sad, and I know you would do a really lovely arrangement.

Once Upon a Summertime

The growth of the site is astounding. You have put together such high level content and teachers, I’m so glad to be a part of this experience!

Thanks,
Kim

Hi Kim :wave:

Great tune suggestion - i’m a big fan of Legrand’s compositions and they are always a pleasure to arrange.

So many great tunes to cover!

Thanks for sharing the 3 versions, this is always a key step I take before arranging a tune.

First find a solid vocal version like Evans/Zetterlund rendition and use this to learn the lyrics and the meaning behind the tune.

Then move onto instrumental versions to discover ways to embellish and enhance the melody from a pianistic standpoint.

I’ll ensure we honour all requests posted here. It may take a little while to get through the current table and then we can create a new one. Cheers.

1 Like

Thank you for always being so thoughtful! It was a recent discovery though it sounded familiar from the past. I know there’s a long line ahead of it, but you always make it happen :hugs:

Best to you always,
Kim

1 Like

your Unforgettable arrangement - Wow - i can listen to that all day… Beautiful playing. Thank you!

1 Like

Hiya Hayden,
It would be very cool if you could put alternative chord choices bracketed above the tunes even the advanced arrangements, you could put other choices in there to broaden our arsenal of choices. Or even choices which would be lesser choices to show us where we could be going wrong which would also be learning moments.

Just a thought

Regards

Bill K

Hi Bill :wave:

Thanks for this great suggestion. In some lessons I do add in the alternate chord changes, here’s an example: https://www.pianogroove.com/jazz-piano-lessons/developing-intros-time-goes-by/ - I was always unsure whether this makes the lesson graphics more cluttered so thanks for sharing your opinion here. I will incorporate more of this into future lessons.

It can be nice to annotate our lead sheets in pencil to show the alternate chord changes. This is something I do when creating arrangements, I often write alternate chord changes or reharmonisations above the original changes. This can be a good habit to get into and helps to keep track of the different options we have available.

Cheers,
Hayden

I like to work with digital music, usually pdfs, on an ipad or MacBook. Does anyone else do this? If yes, what program do you use to add Hayden’s (or your own) suggested alternative chord changes to the lead sheet?

Thanks Hayden,

Yes I noticed that after your speedy reply. Yes they get clustered, the sheets, I notice it when playing around with alternatives.

Regards

Bill K

Ken,

I think PDF Expert by Readdle is the best PDF tool available. (There are a few good options, but for me this one is the easiest, most flexible to use.) I too have all my lead sheets and related course materials in PDF. I have them on an iPad Pro 12.9". With that size the pages are nearly the same size as printed pages. I also scan in stuff from the RealBooks. You can easily annotate them with alternate chord changes or whatever. It’s easier with the iPad Pro since you can use the pencil to make those notes or draw whatever you need. I also have them on a Mac, but the iPad is handier for use on a music stand. :musical_keyboard:

As a side note: I use Readdle’s free Documents app to manage everything. You can store nearly any type of file (PDF, graphic, ebook. music, etc.). And it works seamlessly with PDF Expert.

1 Like

Many thanks Scott, very helpful, I will go look at PDF Expert now. I am sure your advice here will help others like me, so thank you.

Hi @Hayden

Are we going to have votes for new Ballads in 2020?
I very much would like an arrangement for Moonlight in Vermont :slight_smile:

Thanks.
Regards,
Ariel.

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for the suggestion and yes I will incorporate this tune into our upcoming lesson schedule. Leave it with me!

Cheers,
Hayden

How about September in the Rain? [September in the rain]

Or Jo Stafford’s Thank You for Calling

1 Like

A classic ballad from a great singer, don’t think we have done it yet

Thanks for these 3 great suggestions Bill.

I will see how we can best work them into our courses.

Cheers!

Have you considered doing ‘I got it bad and that ain’t good’ by Oscar Peterson?

1 Like

Three possibilities I’ve mentioned before: " Israel," “Everything Must Change,” and “Addio Fratello Cruele.” Just don’t want them slipping through the cracks. It would be lovely to have tutorials and lead sheets. Thank you so much.