Upcoming Ballad Tutorials - Cast Your Votes Now!

Ken,

I think PDF Expert by Readdle is the best PDF tool available. (There are a few good options, but for me this one is the easiest, most flexible to use.) I too have all my lead sheets and related course materials in PDF. I have them on an iPad Pro 12.9". With that size the pages are nearly the same size as printed pages. I also scan in stuff from the RealBooks. You can easily annotate them with alternate chord changes or whatever. It’s easier with the iPad Pro since you can use the pencil to make those notes or draw whatever you need. I also have them on a Mac, but the iPad is handier for use on a music stand. :musical_keyboard:

As a side note: I use Readdle’s free Documents app to manage everything. You can store nearly any type of file (PDF, graphic, ebook. music, etc.). And it works seamlessly with PDF Expert.

1 Like

Many thanks Scott, very helpful, I will go look at PDF Expert now. I am sure your advice here will help others like me, so thank you.

Hi @Hayden

Are we going to have votes for new Ballads in 2020?
I very much would like an arrangement for Moonlight in Vermont :slight_smile:

Thanks.
Regards,
Ariel.

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for the suggestion and yes I will incorporate this tune into our upcoming lesson schedule. Leave it with me!

Cheers,
Hayden

How about September in the Rain? [September in the rain]

Or Jo Stafford’s Thank You for Calling

1 Like

A classic ballad from a great singer, don’t think we have done it yet

Thanks for these 3 great suggestions Bill.

I will see how we can best work them into our courses.

Cheers!

Have you considered doing ‘I got it bad and that ain’t good’ by Oscar Peterson?

1 Like

Three possibilities I’ve mentioned before: " Israel," “Everything Must Change,” and “Addio Fratello Cruele.” Just don’t want them slipping through the cracks. It would be lovely to have tutorials and lead sheets. Thank you so much.

Hey Wendy :wave:

Yes we will try our best to honour all requests in this thread. Thanks for posting them.

We have a couple of new courses being published shortly and then I’ll be working on some new standard arrangements.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi yah! Not sure if “Waltz for Debbie” was already requested/ suggested :blush:
Just in case… would love that tune too! Thanks very much in advance!

Hi Kristeta,

You can find Waltz for Debbie in the list of jazz standards - advanced section at the bottom of the list. A great tune!

2 Likes

Yay! Really?! thats great to know! Thanks very much Paul! Sure will be pinned on the piano bench again with these amazing lessons! :blush: Hope you are well!

Great Key change song. Please consider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnlPtaPxXfc

1 Like

Hi everyone :wave:t2:

Here’s my latest jazz ballad tutorial on the tune “In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning”:

This has been added to our course on “Unusual Chords & Voicings”

The Arrangement

Here’s a performance of the arrangement:

https://vimeo.com/452665007/94450d785f/

And here’s a few of my favourite versions of the tune:

Oscar Peterson Trio - In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

George Shearing Trio - In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

Gene Harris: In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning (Live At Maybeck Recital Hall)

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Ravenscroft 275 Virtual Piano

Yay :heart:beautifully played! Hayden - Stunning performance once again! - you never cease to amaze us with your arrangements ! Love it.

Wish to ask … :blush: if we can please add “All the Way” on the list of tutorial lessons, transcriptions etc … (only if possible) And thanks so much in advance! :relaxed: Take care.

1 Like

Thanks Hayden–a nice arrangement well-played! And another lovely tune to add to our to-do list! Keep at it.

2 Likes

This is one of my all time favorites. Listen to Frank Sinatra sing it and take in the words of heartbreak and yearning. Hayden’s version brought tears to my eyes. It is absolutely beautiful. Hayden, every time I think you can’t surpass your last ballad arrangement, you do. Thank you so very much!!!

1 Like

This would be a nice tune to consider as a tutorial as its right up Hayden’s style of playing…