Two Year Reflection

Today is my second anniversary with PianoGroove. I took piano lessons for a few years when I was a child. I did not touch piano again until I was in my mid-forties. At that time, I took up piano for a brief period. However, as owner of my own company working many hours a week, I did not have much time to devote to it and had to quit. Present day, I am in my mid-sixties and although I still have my own company, I have much more time. PianoGroove entered the scene two years ago today. Here is my journey to date.

I have memorized 39 standards. They are still a work in progress! Each new song becomes easier as I see the familiar chord progressions. I recognize the rootless voicings, those block and drop two chords that have been used in other songs as well as those quartal voicings and sustained chords resolving to the third. (By the way, I have come to love block and drop two chords!) I could no longer reach octaves with my small arthritic hands when I started two years ago. I now reach those and love the full rich sound they provide. As a side note, I had become very rusty at sight reading, especially those notes that are in the lower or higher registers. Understanding chord symbols helps tremendously, as I know which notes to look for. I rarely play from a written transcription, but if I am looking for a phrase I like, I will study it.

I wanted to pass along my positive experience for those that are starting out and new to this method of playing. The learning curve grows exponentially as you continue your journey! You begin to recognize patterns and shapes and it all starts to fall in place. So, if anyone is just starting out and think things look difficult right now…keep at it! My first year was tough, but the reward of putting in the hours of practice are paying off.

I still have a long way to go to develop my skills and so much more to learn; however I am confident that with dedicated practice, I will continue to expand my knowledge and improve my skills. Thank you PianoGroove for your rich learning environment and providing me so much joy!!!

Best to all of you and hope you all enjoy your journey as much as I do!

10 Likes

Congratulations Celia!

I’m nearly at my two-year mark as well. And the tunes I’ve memorized . . . . Well, let’s just say it’s nowhere near that number. Well done! I have to say that I recognize much of what I’ve experienced in your remarks. I returned to the piano after years of doing nothing and now at a little more than past my mid-sixties, it’s become a part of my lifestyle. I couldn’t reach those Kenny Barron chords on a dare; now, I can at least hit 10th stretches pretty easily. My sight reading has improved greatly, though it’s nowhere near what I’d like it to be. I try to read a few bars of something I don’t know every day, just for the exercise. And I definitely agree with what you said about your positive experiences:

The learning curve grows exponentially as you continue your journey! You begin to recognize patterns and shapes and it all starts to fall in place. So, if anyone is just starting out and think things look difficult right now…keep at it! My first year was tough, but the reward of putting in the hours of practice are paying off.

I guess we’re object lessons for the new students here. If an old guy like me can make progress, it says a lot about the quality of the program.

Here’s to the next two years of studying. Cheers. :wine_glass:

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary Celia! 39 standards! Wow. That is quite an accomplishment. Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration to us all. Pianogroove is better because of you.
Cheers
Adam

P.S. It is a new moon. How fitting?
I am curious. Do you play everyday and for how long?

1 Like

Thank you Scott!

I guess we’re object lessons for the new students here. If an old guy like me can make progress, it says a lot about the quality of the program.

Hey…we are not old…just middle aged! :laughing: But we do show that it is never too late and can hopefully inspire some of the younger folks! PianoGroove is absolutely the best platform available for learning jazz and other styles of music.

Here’s to the next two years of studying. Cheers. :wine_glass:

Same to you and congrats on your upcoming two years!

1 Like

Thank you Adam! You have certainly been an inspiration to me listening to your lovely playing.

I try to practice at least a couple of hours each day…sometimes it is more…sometimes less. There are times I might miss a couple of days due to other commitments. Sometimes I think it is good to take a day off to re-energize.

Keep sharing your music. I love how you play!

2 Likes

Wow :heart_eyes: Celia. Congratulations… Happy Anniversary!!! :gift_heart:

loved reading this! and really very motivating and heartwarming to learn about your jazz piano journey.

My jaw dropped when I read about the 39 standards hahaha :grin: That is AmaZing!!! and so very happy for you. Thank you so much for sharing your experience - and I really do like learning more about block chords too!! but yeah I definitely need to keep at it…

Reading this brought me a lot of smiles today :blush: and your last line says it all :heavy_heart_exclamation: Take care.

1 Like

Hello Celia and congratulations. Thank you for sharing your story, I am in my mid 50’s and started piano two years ago but only started jazz with Piano Groove three months ago - what a lot to learn!

It’s great to read that you do recognise chords/voicings in time… I practice about one hour each day and I’ve just started recognising a couple of chords. I am trying to learn a new standard every month - this month it’s Tenderly and for some reason I recognised the C minor chord :grin:. A few more weeks and I hope to recognise another one ha! ha!

Thanks again for your encouraging reflection
Donna

1 Like