Transcription Trek

For myself, I’ve chipped away at this kind of task, with the mentioned slow motion progress frustration that others have pointed out. Following the analogies here, I’ve just entered the art museum…

Being a bit of a tech guy with music knowledge (where much work awaits its fluid implementaion however),

1 Like

ok I have no idea how/why my unfinished post, got posted, but its gone and I can’t even see itl

Flying blind I’ll quickly get out of here after my 2 cents:

Folks you may want to ‘cheat’ a little bit with this, but I’ve found the software Melodyne to be immensely useful, though not ‘free’, you will find you travels through the art museum much shorter

Michael

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s functioning almost like an audio->midi conversion program, Michael. Interesting. But definitely expensive! :slightly_frowning_face:

George, well it doesn’t actually do that conversion, though you’re right to draw a visual association to midi. But it ends there, those dashes are actual individual audio samples, not a simple midi code. It is amazing software, way beyond the simple world of midi.

It gets pretty close, and once can decipher the note of a solo, I’ve been working on one for Autumn Leaves. At least you can get some of those big multi-octave jumps these soloists do, that sound very cool but are beyond my layman’s ear for detection.

Keep at it George, I think you’re leading us learners,
Michael

2 Likes

Like Audrey Hepburn would say. . .Loverly!!!

1 Like

I posted this on one of the classroom threads but since only those who signed up for the course can see it I thought I’d post again here. Masahiro Sayama plays “There will never be another you”. About 25 seconds into the introduction he plays 8 bars that lead really nicely into the tune. So I transcribed them. If you play this piece it might make a nice little addition to your performance:

There will never_ Intro riff_
These classes, by the way, are gold. I’ve finished Tuomo’s voicings class and am working my way through the improvisation classes. They are well-worth signing up for, and are making a big difference to my playing.

3 Likes