Songwriter member of Pianogroove posts an original composition

3 Likes

I wrote this song about 3 years ago. The chords are based on the Jazz Standard “Almost Like Being In Love”. which is a song written by Lerner and Loewe for a stage show called “Brigadoon”.

For those interested in the technical aspects, it was recorded on an Apple Mac Pro using Logic Audio. The piano sound is an App called “Pianoteq 7”. I used a RODE NT2 microphone. I used only plugins from Logic apart from Melodyne, the pitch correction App.

In the last few weeks I have been trying to improve my mixing skills, by watching Tube videos. I figure I can do it because all my recordings have only voice and piano.

My aim is to be a very good songwriter in the style of the Great American Songbook. Performed as Jazz rather than show tunes. Unlike the old days, a songwriter now has to do a demonstration recording to show to others their ability. That is why I end up doing the singing and recording. In 2023 I hope to do joint compositions with others as the workload using this method is too great.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this Trevor!

As always very lively, upbeat, and fun to listen to. Really nice job and I can imagine how much work went into this.

I’ll be sure to send this thread to PianoGroove students who ask me about jazz songwriting in the style of the Great American Songbook.