Solo Piano Recordings For Listening

Hi @SoloPiano , as I mentioned many times, listening to music is the best (and most fun!) way to learn.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite solo piano recordings, hope you enjoy! There are dozens more, but this list is a good place to start :slight_smile:

Hank Jones:

Tribute To Duke Ellington

Handful Of Keys

Barry Harris:

Solo

Bill Evans:

Solo Sessions Vol. 1

Solo Sessions Vol. 2

Keith Jarrett:

Melody At Night, With You

The Köln Concert

Tommy Flanagan:

Solo

Thelonious Monk:

Alone In San Francisco

Solo Monk

Herbie Hancock:

The Piano

McCoy Tyner:

Revelations

8 Likes

three more :heart_eyes:

Richie Beirach

Charles Mingus

i have collected all Tuomo choice in a playlist

2 Likes

Thanks @Pierrot !

Good additions, the entire ‘Maybeck Recital Hall Series’ is also worth checking out:

I’ve been listening lately to Fred Hersch and just came across his Maybeck recital, #31 in the series, from 25 years ago. Fantastic!

Can we put some solo blues piano in here?

Hi @TimD - yes totally and we can always split out posts into a new thread in future to keep things more organised.

Here’s a solo piano album by Gene Harris which has a few nice bluesy numbers:

Cheers!

@TimD & @Hayden & community,

Great idea to add a new thread for blues pianists! In the meanwhile, here’s one of my favorite New Orleans Blues albums, by the great Professor Longhair:

Enjoy!

1 Like

Spotify – Dr. John Plays Mac Rebennack The Legendary Sessions Vol. 2

2 Likes

@Tuomo,

Here’s O Piano de Antonio Adolfo (@ 2014 Deckdisc). Adolfo (b. 1947) is a Brazilian pianist whose solo offering may be Latin-based, but it’s firmly based in what we study here at PianoGroove.

Here are a couple of tunes for someone to see if they’re interested.

The first is the standard “All the Things You Are.” The second is one of my favorite Jobim tunes, “Radamés y Pele.” (See if you hear the sounds of the second line from the lyrics of “Beautiful Love” somewhere in there.) Enjoy! :musical_keyboard:

Thanks @scott1 , I’ll check it out!