Slow Blues For Beginners Course

Hey everyone :wave:

My “Slow Blues For Beginners” Course is coming together and I have uploaded the finished lessons to the course page below:

The ‘turnaround module’ is now complete which covers a selection of turnaround ideas and principles.

The first 2 lessons in the ‘space fillers module’ are published. The other lessons in this module are currently being edited and they will be added to the course page in the coming days.

I’m starting the improvisation lessons this week which will reference a selection of blues recordings and we analyse the techniques used to create improvised solos over the 12 bar blues form.

It’s also worth noting that the first module is the “course introduction” video broken into 4 shorter lessons to make the contents more actionable and easier to review.

More updates to follow!

6 Likes

Hey Hayden,
Thank you for this Course.
It Could be more helpful if you spend some time to generate some pdf pages to ilustrate
2. Blues Turnaround Variations and 3. Space Fillers.
Thank You.
Samy

Hey @samy :wave: - welcome to the community area!

Yes the PDF downloads will be added this week. I’ll post an update in this thread once they are ready.

As usual all demonstrations will be fully notated in the Downloads.

Enjoy the lessons!

1 Like

Great addition to the courses. I’ve been working slowly through the material - looking forward to additions to the course and PDF’s.

We’ll done Hayden.

1 Like

Hi Hayden,

Really enjoying the slow blues course. Just to check, are the improv lessons uploaded to this link yet? Not sure if I’ve missed them.

Thank you, and wishing you a happy new year.
Matt

Hey @matthew15 :wave:

Yes I recorded the lessons in the week before Christmas and our video editor is working on them now.

There are 3 more harmony lessons which are:

• Sus Chords
  • Passing Chords
  • Enhancing The Left Hand

and 4 lessons for the improvisation module which are:

• Triad Improv
  • 6th/7th Chord Improv
  • ‘The Famous Lick’ and its variations
  • Major & Minor Blues Scales

The improv lessons tie together all of the concepts in the course, in particular balancing melodic ideas/improvised lines, with the space filler material. I’m really excited to share it with everyone and I will upload the lessons as soon as they are edited.

More to follow shortly.

ps. I’m really glad you enjoyed the course and wishing a very Happy New Year to you too!

2 Likes

yay… thanks so much for this course! Would love to check it too! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Awesome. Looking forward to the new content. Many thanks.

1 Like

Hey @matthew15 :wave:

5 more lessons have been added to the slow blues course:

There are still 2 improvisation lessons (“6th chord melodies”, and “blues scale improv”) which are being edited and they will be added shortly to complete the course.

On a related note, I’m hosting a Slow Blues Seminar on the 24th January. You can add to your calendar here:

During the seminar, we will review all of the material in the “Slow Blues For Beginners” course and transpose the techniques into the key of C and apply to the tune “I’ll drown In My Own Tears”.

I’ll post another message here once the remaining slow blues lessons are added, it should be today or tomorrow at the latest.

1 Like

@matthew15 - the remaining slow blues lessons are now published.

John - our transcriber - is currently working on the PDF downloads.

Enjoy and remember to tune into my blues seminar later this month - or catch the replay!

I’m loving the slow blues course for beginners

Me too! I wasn’t sure at first but it has turned out to be one of my favourite courses.

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback @randy646132 and @John_A !

I just realised I didn’t post the final PDF files in this thread, here they are:

Module 1: The Basic Slow Blues Groove:

Module 2: Blues Turnarounds

Module 3: Space Fillers

Module 4: Stylistic Techniques

Module 5: Improv Drills & Exercises:

Miscellaneous Performance Transcriptions

3 Likes