Share Your Music, Recordings, & Performances šŸŽµ

Love it @LoriNelson - You guys sound awesome!

Live music returns to WA :grin:

So nice, Lori! Thanks for sharing.

Cool Lori looking goodā€¦great experience :grinning:

Beautiful Adam. Iā€™ve started learning this one and was blown away by how beautiful you made this sound. Fantastic job. Well done :+1:t2:

1 Like

Celebrating my first anniversary at pianogroove with renewal for another year and thought I would share some music. About 6 months in, I also started regular lessons with Tuomo; Manhattan is one of the first tunes he suggested, and Iā€™m still working on it!

I enjoy the community and especially the classroom work as a chance to meet and interact with others (Thanks, Hayden).

Arrangement inspired by Blossom Dearieā€™s version.

10 Likes

Beautiful arrangement and improvisation Greg.

I love the chord colours and inner voices in your intro and outro; the final chord you end on is mouth watering :grinning:

Nicely done :clap:

Greg,

That was outstanding!!! I love your arrangement. You are a gifted player. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Greg.

Great stuff and so many variations and colours in your playing. Love it! Well done. It must have been a tremendous challenge :blush:

Cheers - Paul

Lovely phrasing and control. Only one year in and producing this type of quality? Great job.

Cheers
Adam

Karl,
Thanks brother. I appreciate your kind words.

Adam

:partying_face: Sophisticated playing and arrangement Wow ā€¦ great ! Now we will ask for more ))
Bravissimo

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your version of ā€œManhattanā€, Greg. You have so many styles all rolled into that one song. Well done!

@gregb

Happy 1-year anniversary!

This arrangement sounds so beautiful, this could be a take on a record!

totally can hear the Blossom Dearie - influence :slight_smile:

Sheā€™s definitely one of the greatest, not only as a vocalist but as a pianist as well. To me, her way to accompany herself is just perfection.

Awesome job Greg,
All the best,

-Tuomo

Thanks so much for sharing this, Greg! So very fine. Like Tuomo, Iā€™ve been a fan of Blossom Dearie for some time.

(Maybe youā€™ve mentioned this somewhere else, but might you share how youā€™re recording? Not looking for step-by-step details. DAW you use, etc.)

P:lease share more when youā€™re ready.

Thanks so much, @scott1, @Tuomo, @George_Miller, @celia, @Hayden, @adam_powell, @paul1523727.

One of the reasons it took me a year to share anything is because I didnā€™t know anything about recording! For the voicing homework, Iā€™ve been recording mp3 directly to a USB stick plugged into my keyboard (Kawai mp7se) using the default piano sound on that instrument. However, I like the Ravenscroft library better than the Kawai onboard sounds, and used this as an opportunity to try and learn Logic Pro. Happy to provide beginnerā€™s advice/experience to anyone who is in a similar situation.

4 Likes

Greg,
Thanks for the reply. Any book(s), etc. youā€™d recommend for starting out. Iā€™ve been working with a few, but Iā€™m still not clear on how best to begin.

@scott1 Based on reviews/excerpts, I had a hard time identifying a book that I wanted to buy. If you find one, let me know, because Iā€™m the kind of person that likes a reference book instead of endless google searches.

Butā€¦what Iā€™ve done over the past few weeks (Iā€™ve still got 70 days left on my Logic free trial) is listen several times to the series of YT videos from Joshua Carney (MusicTechHelpGuy on YT). Heā€™s got >100 videos, the ones that Iā€™ve looked at are part of a 12 part series, Logic Pro 101. You can buy the series for $10 from his website or watch them for free (with annoying ads) on YT.

Iā€™ve listened to and learned from the first 5 videos; for me, his teaching style is perfect with regard to content, speed, and repetition. Caveat: Iā€™m not a huge fan of EDM which he uses for most of his examples.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

@gregb,

Thanks for the information. In looking for his videos, I came across the wealth of information about Logic on the Ask.Video site and found just what I was looking for.

Iā€™m in Tuomoā€™s foundations of improvisation class where the homework for the first week is to apply chord tone-based improv over ā€œThere will never be another youā€. Coincidentally, I had been working on this tune (hasnā€™t everybody?) for the last 6 months, so thought I would share it here instead of the homework page.

Full disclosure: I borrowed Haydenā€™s interpretation of Arturo Sandovalā€™s version in the first A section (thanks, Hayden!).

8 Likes

Gregā€¦that was wonderful!!! Great job! If Tuomo gives grades, I would imagine you would get an A+++

1 Like