"New Orleans Blues & Funk" Course w/ Jon Cleary - Now Available šŸš€

Hey, nice breakdown Megan. I didnā€™t know he covered this tune and youā€™ve made me poke around for it.

Did you see this? I canā€™t make my left hand do thatā€¦ sigh

Best,
John

1 Like

Agreed - It helps my own practice and analysis to see how an artist might do chord substitutions, style and melody changes etc etc. - - kind of a look inside their heads as to their thinking.

John

1 Like

Hey John what a great video! Where is it from? Thanks so much for digging around and sharing that!

And by the way I also love that video from Paris - these are all great links - thanks so much for sharing them!

1 Like

Hey Hayden!

Iā€™m eager to try out this course and wonder what level itā€™s geared towards. Iā€™m working my way through the beginner level, so Iā€™m planning to wait until Iā€™m through with that. Iā€™d like to stay on the jazz track while learning more NOLA style though, so I wonder if thereā€™s a syllabus youā€™d recommend for that. I also wonder if there are any lessons there on arranging pop songs in a New Orleans style.

Thanks!

Hi Theo :wave:

Welcome to the PianoGroove community.

Yes Jonā€™s course is definitely intermediate/advanced level, and so if you are new to jazz harmony, I would recommend to study our first 5 jazz courses to equip you with the foundational knowledge of jazz harmony. I have listed them below.

You might also find Steveā€™s Chicago Blues course useful to get the feel for the blues form and some common voicings used when playing the blues. His lessons will also help you to develop hand independence which is essential for the New Orleans style.

There is a lot of cross over between the courses so Iā€™d definitely recommend starting with this course by Steve and then progress onto Jonā€™s lessons.

The 5 Jazz Courses:

Here are the first 5 jazz courses where we cover the bulk of jazz harmony that you will find in Jonā€™s lessons:

This is not something that we currently have, but itā€™s certainly an area that we can explore in the future.

After studying some of Jonā€™s lessons you can try to apply the concepts to pop songs. Iā€™m sure the jazz courses listed over will also give you some ideas and inspiration.

Hope this helps and any further questions just let me know.

Cheers,
Hayden